Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Top Law Schools bother me....  (Read 17089 times)

CLS2009Student

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Top Law Schools bother me....
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2008, 01:15:04 PM »
Every school publishes the 25%, 50%, and 75% UGPA and LSAT scores.  If you're curious about your odds, this will give you a very good indication.  Why do you need the grid?

As an applicant, I too wanted an easy box to tell me my odds.  But those grids really are incredibly deceptive.  It would be very easy for people who stand a chance at great school to be misled into not applying.  You just don't know what is going on behind the numbers.  The grids falsely lead you to think that soft factors don't matter.

They also contribute to an exagerated sense of importance given to just two factors in the admissions process.  The LSAT/GPA worship infects this entire process.  I favor anything that helps take the focus off of them for a bit.  The fact that some schools refuse to put every candidate in an LSAT/GPA box is okay with me!

Gitmo Jones

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2008, 07:14:22 PM »
Every school publishes the 25%, 50%, and 75% UGPA and LSAT scores.  If you're curious about your odds, this will give you a very good indication.  Why do you need the grid?

As an applicant, I too wanted an easy box to tell me my odds.  But those grids really are incredibly deceptive.  It would be very easy for people who stand a chance at great school to be misled into not applying.  You just don't know what is going on behind the numbers.  The grids falsely lead you to think that soft factors don't matter.

They also contribute to an exagerated sense of importance given to just two factors in the admissions process.  The LSAT/GPA worship infects this entire process.  I favor anything that helps take the focus off of them for a bit.  The fact that some schools refuse to put every candidate in an LSAT/GPA box is okay with me!

Who told these filthy lies that schools consider soft factors for unworthy candidates they go straight to auto reject unless you are a minority or cured cancer and the schools that do not put up grids because they want auto rejects money you dont see and tier threes with no grids posted

Captain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/5526/thumbid5.jpg
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2008, 01:07:25 AM »

To the 106 applicants who applied to Yale with >3.0 and >155, unless you cured colon cancer as an extracurricular, WTF were you thinking?

My advisor told me to apply there when I first took the LSAT and had a 154.  He said, "You never know."

I could feel myself making a face, but I couldn't help it!  :D

A 155 is really low for Yale, BUT, they have been somewhat more "eclectic" than other law schools.
VIP.

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2008, 06:52:36 AM »

To the 106 applicants who applied to Yale with >3.0 and >155, unless you cured colon cancer as an extracurricular, WTF were you thinking?

You're assuming curing colon cancer would make a difference.

It probably wouldn't, and probably shouldn't.

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2008, 06:53:30 AM »
lol, I noticed this while I was going through the LS Guide. I'm sure the schools make a lot of money from the application fees of people who don't stand a chance. If they published the LSAT/GPA grids, they would probably lo$e some of that money.

I actually think people would be surprised at the number of people with low numbers that get in.

Why do you think this? 

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2008, 09:05:42 PM »
lol, I noticed this while I was going through the LS Guide. I'm sure the schools make a lot of money from the application fees of people who don't stand a chance. If they published the LSAT/GPA grids, they would probably lo$e some of that money.

I actually think people would be surprised at the number of people with low numbers that get in.

Why do you think this? 

Because I know a fair number of people at elite schools with meh numbers and they aren't all URMs either.
YLS c/o 2009

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2008, 07:13:53 AM »

Why do you think this? 

Because I know a fair number of people at elite schools with meh numbers and they aren't all URMs either.

Please post their #'s.  Tyia.