Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Top Law Schools bother me....  (Read 17649 times)

AkhilAmar

• Sr. Citizen
  • Need lots of good karma!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
Top Law Schools bother me....
« on: December 10, 2007, 12:01:58 AM »
As if the top law schools weren't annoying enough ($85 app. fee anyone), most refuse to post the GPA/LSAT grid in LSAC's Official Guide to ABA-Approved Law Schools (Law School Description section).

they all give some lame variation of "as a preeminent law school, the Admissions Committee considers a number of factors in assessing candidates...XYZ seeks to enroll a diverse student body that goes beyond undergraduate GPA and LSAT scores. ... blah blah blah.

Really? Wow, according to their half page explanation, one could easily assume that they would want to have a grid to prove that they go beyond the numbers. Yet they don't. Why? Because a GPA/LSAT grid would prove them, for the most part, wrong. The grid would give many would-be applicants a sobering glimpse of just how important those numbers are; probably leading them to not apply. Less applicants = less rejections = lower rankings = pissed off administration.

In all fairness, I think a few applicants who would otherwise be accepted wouldn't apply due to the grid, but that effect could be mitigated if what they say is true (i.e. "As shown by the GPA/LSAT grid .... we look beyond the numbers to...."

They know that when the average joe sees that 7/346 people were accepted with a 3.56 and a 163, they'll opt to spend that $85 on something worthwhile (like a keg of labatt blue light to flush away the tears).
UGPA: 3.8

LSAT: Dec. '07

Dream school: Michigan!

lalalagirl007

• Sr. Citizen
  • fierceness.
    • View Profile
Re: Top Law Schools bother me....
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 11:49:40 PM »
lol, I noticed this while I was going through the LS Guide. I'm sure the schools make a lot of money from the application fees of people who don't stand a chance. If they published the LSAT/GPA grids, they would probably lo$e some of that money.

Pop Up Video

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 11:52:09 PM »
Yale publishes a grid to quiet the haters

The Count

• The Don Juan of S. St.
    • View Profile
    • ~LSD~
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 12:09:03 AM »

To the 106 applicants who applied to Yale with >3.0 and >155, unless you cured colon cancer as an extracurricular, WTF were you thinking?
How many times must I slap you before I get my money? One! Two! Two slaps, HA! HA! HA!

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TheCount

roxybear

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 11:16:10 PM »
does anyone know from what admissions cycle that the info in these charts is from??
: ) Emory, Baylor($$), Hofstra($$$), Chapman($$$$), Loyola Chicago ($$), Temple ($$), Pepperdine ($$$), Chicago-Kent ($$$), Loyola ($$$), Cardozo ($$), Wake Forest, HASTINGS!!
: / Fordham, CU, W&L
: ( GM, GULC

165/3.3

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=roxybear

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2008, 12:12:43 AM »
lol, I noticed this while I was going through the LS Guide. I'm sure the schools make a lot of money from the application fees of people who don't stand a chance. If they published the LSAT/GPA grids, they would probably lo$e some of that money.

I actually think people would be surprised at the number of people with low numbers that get in.
YLS c/o 2009

treefity350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2008, 02:18:02 AM »
As if the top law schools weren't annoying enough ($85 app. fee anyone), most refuse to post the GPA/LSAT grid in LSAC's Official Guide to ABA-Approved Law Schools (Law School Description section).

they all give some lame variation of "as a preeminent law school, the Admissions Committee considers a number of factors in assessing candidates...XYZ seeks to enroll a diverse student body that goes beyond undergraduate GPA and LSAT scores. ... blah blah blah.

Really? Wow, according to their half page explanation, one could easily assume that they would want to have a grid to prove that they go beyond the numbers. Yet they don't. Why? Because a GPA/LSAT grid would prove them, for the most part, wrong. The grid would give many would-be applicants a sobering glimpse of just how important those numbers are; probably leading them to not apply. Less applicants = less rejections = lower rankings = pissed off administration.

In all fairness, I think a few applicants who would otherwise be accepted wouldn't apply due to the grid, but that effect could be mitigated if what they say is true (i.e. "As shown by the GPA/LSAT grid .... we look beyond the numbers to...."

They know that when the average joe sees that 7/346 people were accepted with a 3.56 and a 163, they'll opt to spend that $85 on something worthwhile (like a keg of labatt blue light to flush away the tears).

dude, i hate to tell you, but you could spend that 85 bucks on an invisible piece of insect dung and it would be more worthwhile than a keg of Labatt  Blue Light.
Remember when I was at the picnic - the company picnic - and I hit the ball over the fence? You guys didn't think I'd catch it too but I did. I'm fast as s**t - 17 stolen bases in '72, 18 in '91.

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2008, 09:49:29 AM »
Yale publishes a grid to quiet the haters

And I respect them for that. 

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2008, 09:50:33 AM »

To the 106 applicants who applied to Yale with >3.0 and >155, unless you cured colon cancer as an extracurricular, WTF were you thinking?

My advisor told me to apply there when I first took the LSAT and had a 154.  He said, "You never know."

I could feel myself making a face, but I couldn't help it!  :D

Pop Up Video

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2008, 11:45:51 AM »