Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Bachelor Degrees for Lawyers and Schools  (Read 10382 times)

Captain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/5526/thumbid5.jpg
Re: Bachelor Degrees for Lawyers and Schools
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2008, 04:11:03 PM »
Your major doesn't really matter. Don't do a "pre-law" major though, unless you plan on getting a 3.9, because "pre-law" doesn't really mean anything. Major in something you like and will do well in.

Engineers and hard-science majors usually get a break on GPA.
VIP.

Captain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/5526/thumbid5.jpg
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2008, 04:13:21 PM »
One caveat:  you might decide at some point not to go to law school.  Therefore, you should consider a major in a field that can get you a job out of undergrad.  A hard science, engineering, business, or something like that are the safest undergrad majors for the rest of your life.

Of course, those majors are only "safe" if you can actually bear working in those fields forever. If you don't want to be an engineer or an accountant, you're just perfectly safe studying in the liberal arts at most good schools.

If you like it, try philosophy.  Beware, though, that if you change your mind about law school, you'll basically be broke and unemployed.  If you're sure about the law school route, though, a strong background in analytic philosophy is great preparation.

This is entirely not true. But, since Philosophy is a broad subject, you should probably combine it with something else that interests you.
VIP.

The Artist

• Sr. Citizen
  • Admit it... you got Rick Rolled.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2008, 08:04:04 PM »
Make sure you have as high a GPA as possible.

sloppy2d

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2008, 05:56:18 PM »
h,mmm

$Bill

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2008, 10:01:37 AM »
Pre-law is a complete joke major, and I don't even know if I would accept someone with a pre-law degree if I was in law school admissions.

That's a ridiculous thing to say. I'm glad you're not on an admissions committee. You can't judge an applicant soley on their major. I'd venture to guess that the average person only retains a small percentage of the knowledge they gained anyway. What about the pre-law applicant who reads books all the time and the political science applicant who instead watches reality shows all the time? To suggest that pre-law people cannot be as good is simply wrong.

Uninformed as it may sound, its a generally held consensus.  Ironically there is a study around here that shows pre-law undergrads score lowest on the LSAT...and then theres the whole, "law school teaches you nothing practical about law" theory that most lawyers ive spoken to suggest.