Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Bachelor Degrees for Lawyers and Schools  (Read 10384 times)

delaneybob

• View Profile
    • Email
Bachelor Degrees for Lawyers and Schools
« on: December 09, 2007, 10:00:18 PM »
Hi,
Wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a bachelor degree and college (preferably in the South) for a pre-prelaw degree.  I did find some colleges with formal pre-law curicullum.

Thanks

Poetgirl80

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Bachelor Degrees for Lawyers and Schools
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 02:46:56 PM »
I'm in the admissions process now, but from everything I've read the best law school candidates are those who demonstrate knowledge in something outside of the legal profession-- BS in Engineering is like gold, since it's so rare (remember: L-schools want "diversity"). I would imagine that most people in law school majored in Political Science, English or History. So, if you can excel in something other than these 3, you'll have a new angle to play up.

indyguy7484

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 02:50:41 PM »
From what I've read admissions people dislike pre-law degrees.  Major in something you like and will do well in and law school will follow.

BearlyLegal

• LSD Obsessed
  • And the greatest threat to America is... Bears!!!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Newjoetm
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 02:51:44 PM »
^-- TITCR, though let me add: Major in something that will suit your strengths. Make sure you have as high a GPA as possible.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 08:02:32 AM »
On breakdowns of majors, from what I've seen in catalogs from schools that break down the majors of an entering class, about half of the people usually majored in political science, a quarter majored in history, an eighth or so majored in English, and then it was usually up for grabs. So, based on pure raw numbers, you should major in poli sci if anything. And besides, pre-law is sort of like the vocational version of poli sci, and that's what you have law school for.

Just major in something respectable that you enjoy and are good at. If you like what you're doing and you're not a really bad slacker, good grades will naturally follow.

As for schools, I wouldn't worry too much about where you go as long it's a reputable school. If anything, I'd say it might be a good time to move to whichever state you think you'll want to eventually practice in. You can give the state a test drive during UG and you'll qualify for in state tuition if you go to a public law school in the same state.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

Nimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008, 08:33:55 AM »
The reason so many people with Political Science majors go to law school isn't because it's good preparation.  Pre-law is a complete joke major, and I don't even know if I would accept someone with a pre-law degree if I was in law school admissions.  Just study what you enjoy and get the highest GPA possible.

One caveat:  you might decide at some point not to go to law school.  Therefore, you should consider a major in a field that can get you a job out of undergrad.  A hard science, engineering, business, or something like that are the safest undergrad majors for the rest of your life.

siski

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2008, 12:31:01 PM »
Major in a field that requires research, critical thinking, and lots of academic writing.

It's good practice.

areopagite

• Sr. Citizen
  • Nemo mortalium omnibus horis sapit
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2008, 01:35:33 PM »
If you like it, try philosophy.  Beware, though, that if you change your mind about law school, you'll basically be broke and unemployed.  If you're sure about the law school route, though, a strong background in analytic philosophy is great preparation.
John Dewey on standardized tests:

"It reminds me of how we weighed pigs on my grandfather's farm.  You lay a board over a fence, put the pig on one end and pile rocks on the other.  Then you guess how much the rocks weigh."

OtterBee

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2008, 03:10:00 PM »
Here are a few things to consider.  #1 What kind of law would you like to do?  #2 What jobs are you planning on taking during college?  #3 What is your plan B if you decide law school isn't for you?

For instance:  I dated a girl who was a Philosophy major.  She graduated in 3 years, and went straight to law school, and utterly destroyed her classes and has a great job as a prosecutor that she loves.
               One of my best friends was a Biology major.  He graduated in 5 years, and had jobs at various biotech companies because of internship opportunities at his school.  He's currently interning at an IP firm, and will be hired there once he passes the bar, and he'll make loads of money.
               Me?  I majored in Community Studies.  I also took a lot of undergraduate criminal justice classes.  I've done ok in law school so far (Top 10%), and at job interviews my major always comes up.  Now, I want to work in public interest and lobbying, so having a degree in Community Studies shows that I've always cared about "the people".

Generally, your major matters less than your GPA, the only real exception being if you want to go into a specialized area of law, like IP, or government.  Then having a UG degree in those areas will help.

Good Luck.

felicitybc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2008, 05:00:38 PM »
Pre-law is a complete joke major, and I don't even know if I would accept someone with a pre-law degree if I was in law school admissions.

That's a ridiculous thing to say. I'm glad you're not on an admissions committee. You can't judge an applicant soley on their major. I'd venture to guess that the average person only retains a small percentage of the knowledge they gained anyway. What about the pre-law applicant who reads books all the time and the political science applicant who instead watches reality shows all the time? To suggest that pre-law people cannot be as good is simply wrong.