Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Howard is up there with the T14  (Read 6307 times)

lalalagirl007

• Sr. Citizen
  • fierceness.
    • View Profile
Re: Howard is up there with the T14
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2007, 12:41:44 AM »
No, I'm not missing your point. I got it. We both agree that many firms recruit at Howard because it is an HBCU. (So, CLEARLY they are not there for white students...this goes without saying) You think this is the only reason. My point is that THIS IS NOT THE ONLY REASON. Like I said in my last post, firms continuously recruit at Howard because "they know they will find a large number of smart, well qualified minority students (who are receiving a decent legal education) to work for them." 

Answer this question: If the SOLE reason firms recruit at Howard is because it is an HBCU, then why don't they recruit at Florida A&M or any other HBCU like they do at Howard? ........

Because it is the best HBCU?

Exactly. Why is it the best? Because of its ACADEMIC REPUTATION--another reason why many firms recruit from Howard.

bloomlaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Welcome to the Monkey House
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2007, 12:17:31 PM »
No, I'm not missing your point. I got it. We both agree that many firms recruit at Howard because it is an HBCU. (So, CLEARLY they are not there for white students...this goes without saying) You think this is the only reason. My point is that THIS IS NOT THE ONLY REASON. Like I said in my last post, firms continuously recruit at Howard because "they know they will find a large number of smart, well qualified minority students (who are receiving a decent legal education) to work for them." 

Answer this question: If the SOLE reason firms recruit at Howard is because it is an HBCU, then why don't they recruit at Florida A&M or any other HBCU like they do at Howard? ........

Exactly. Why is it the best? Because of its ACADEMIC REPUTATION--another reason why many firms recruit from Howard.

Or because its the highest ranked HBC or U (apparently the U is a big deal on here)

Or because its the closest to the major markets (if the firms need a quota of AA on their interview ratio, they are gonna go with the cheapest alternative, not flying all the way to florida)

The main point of this discussion, imo, is not that Howard provides more opportunities, but that being black provides more opportunities. Which we all already knew.

lalalagirl007

• Sr. Citizen
  • fierceness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2007, 12:33:33 PM »

Or because its the highest ranked HBC or U (apparently the U is a big deal on here)

Or because its the closest to the major markets (if the firms need a quota of AA on their interview ratio, they are gonna go with the cheapest alternative, not flying all the way to florida)

The main point of this discussion, imo, is not that Howard provides more opportunities, but that being black provides more opportunities. Which we all already knew.

If being black "provides more opportunities", how do you explain the incredibly LOW number of black students in law school in the United States?

btw, HBCU, Historically Black Colleges and Universities. Why leave out the "U" when you are refering to a university?

wiimote

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2007, 12:34:15 PM »
Apparently Howard is one of the top schools in the nation receiving firm interviews. Notre Dame, BC, BU, Vandy and UCLA didn't recieve as many. Georgetown is #1 with 844 firm interviewing, while Howard is #15 with 454 firms interviewing. (Howard only has 450 students total)

http://www.law.howard.edu/dictator/media/1065/Prospect_Information_Package_07_08.pdf (page 22)

Damn 454 firms is a ton.

1rakayla

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2007, 12:36:50 PM »

More opportunity for what??

bloomlaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Welcome to the Monkey House
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2007, 12:47:54 PM »

law school admissions, UG admissions, jobs with firms, NFL coaching jobs... pick your poison

If being black "provides more opportunities", how do you explain the incredibly LOW number of black students in law school in the United States?

btw, HBCU, Historically Black Colleges and Universities. Why leave out the "U" when you are refering to a university?

Your first point is a basic logical error from a typical logical reasoning question. I'm saying black students have better odds (i.e. percentage wise, blacks do better), and you are arguing that there are less blacks. I'm not talking about the totals, I'm talkign about the percentages.

Second point.. its a joke, read the first couple pages of this thread

EatYourVeggies

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2007, 12:49:22 PM »
I think the poster meant "being black at Howard" provides more opportunities than being white at Howard?
Edit: NM. 

Apparently minority recruitment is a very big part of the 1L job search -- with many firms ONLY hiring from "diversity summer programs" and numerous 1L scholarships limited to diversity recipients -- but the benefit of being a minority student tapers off some after that. 

My guess, though, is that the vast majority of these firms are only interested in the top minority students from Howard and the firms probably don't dig as deep into the class as they do at T14s with comparable numbers of firms interviewing on campus.

1rakayla

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2007, 12:53:40 PM »

law school admissions, UG admissions, jobs with firms, NFL coaching jobs... pick your poison

Your first point is a basic logical error from a typical logical reasoning question. I'm saying black students have better odds (i.e. percentage wise, blacks do better), and you are arguing that there are less blacks. I'm not talking about the totals, I'm talkign about the percentages.

Second point.. its a joke, read the first couple pages of this thread

I think the poster means in different aspects of life.  They named four, and I do not even agree with those. I can name a million reasons why being black is not always the greatest thing in the world.

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2007, 12:58:15 PM »
LMAO. People on here need a serious dose of reality. Next, being poor will provide more opportunity to get a I-banking job.
YLS c/o 2009

EatYourVeggies

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2007, 12:59:58 PM »
Clearly, the poster disagrees with affirmative action.  Set that issue aside or move on to another thread.