Law School Discussion

Didn't they get the memo? I'm GAY!

Re: Didn't they get the memo? I'm GAY!
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2007, 10:19:10 AM »
I don't know what they would say, hence my phone call.  It is interesting because it seems that a sleuth of legal questions could abound regarding such a discriminatory admissions policy if they refused to admit a homosexual.   

$Bill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2007, 10:24:27 AM »
They can discriminate, its called an honor code.  Since they probably dont like hetero pre marital relations either, they just make sure their students maintain a certain moral standard, set by the institution.  Look at BYUs honor code...they don't say "NO GAYS ALLOWED" but I dont think anyone who was open with their sexuality in ANY way would last more then 1 complaint.

I bet you'd get sent to the dean of student affairs for making out with your SO or not-so-SO in the quad regardless of his/her gender.  These people are off their rocker after all

$Bill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2007, 10:28:50 AM »
I'm wrong, BYU is pretty clear.

Homosexual behavior or advocacy
Brigham Young University will respond to homosexual behavior rather than to feelings or attraction and welcomes as full members of the university community all whose behavior meets university standards.  Members of the university community can remain in good Honor Code standing if they conduct their lives in a manner consistent with gospel principles and the Honor Code.

One's stated same-gender attraction is not an Honor Code issue.  However, the Honor Code requires all members of the university community to manifest a strict commitment to the law of chastity.  Homosexual behavior and/or advocacy of homosexual behavior are inappropriate and violate the Honor Code.  Homosexual behavior includes not only sexual relations between members of the same sex, but all forms of physical intimacy that give expression to homosexual feelings.  Advocacy includes seeking to influence others to engage in homosexual behavior or promoting homosexual relations as being morally acceptable.

Roy Lichtenstein

• I Can See the Whole Room . . . , 1961
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2007, 10:33:21 AM »
I don't know what they would say, hence my phone call.  It is interesting because it seems that a sleuth of legal questions could abound regarding such a discriminatory admissions policy if they refused to admit a homosexual.   

Sadly, I think they can discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation, since I am pretty sure that it does not (yet) fall under one of the protected groups such as sex, race, religion, etc.  But who cares, they are probably a crap law school, considering I don't think I have even heard of them until this thread, although I might have seen an e-mail from them in my junk folder.

$Bill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2007, 10:50:48 AM »
Just to hijack the thread for a moment, BYU forbids crossdressing.  What if a guy wears fishnets for comfort and body hair issues?  Total discrimination.

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2007, 10:54:07 AM »
I am going to call Liberty tomorrow and ask them what their policy is concerning homosexual applicants.  I'm sure being gay does not exactly fit in with the "Liberty Way".  Does anyone know if they hold their law students to the same ridiculous requirements as they do their undergrads (i.e., no hand holding, signing out to leave campus, no non-Christian music, etc., etc.)?

Yikes...where is this school?  Is it accredited?

Not only are they accredited, but many of their automaton graduates are now littered throughout some of the most prestigious jobs in the Department of Justice, despite their poor credentials.  Thanks George W. Bush. 

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2007, 01:56:39 PM »
OP - the people giving you advice clearly aren't gay. You don't have to make it your priority but there is nothing wrong with calling up the university and asking them to stop sending you mailings because you are not interested in their law school due to their discriminatory polices against LGBT students. It doesn't have to be politically charged or angry. Just a very simple, thanks but no thanks.

I was being bombarded with mail from both Regent and Liberty. And made a point to call and ask to be taken off all of their mailing lists because I have no interest in their university for the above reason. Whether they care or not, I think it's important they know how many applicants both gay and straight won't be applying to their school because of their policies.

Roy Lichtenstein

• I Can See the Whole Room . . . , 1961
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2007, 04:26:40 PM »
OP - the people giving you advice clearly aren't gay. You don't have to make it your priority but there is nothing wrong with calling up the university and asking them to stop sending you mailings because you are not interested in their law school due to their discriminatory polices against LGBT students. It doesn't have to be politically charged or angry. Just a very simple, thanks but no thanks.

I was being bombarded with mail from both Regent and Liberty. And made a point to call and ask to be taken off all of their mailing lists because I have no interest in their university for the above reason. Whether they care or not, I think it's important they know how many applicants both gay and straight won't be applying to their school because of their policies.

I guess if I find a person or organization to be ridiculously ignorant I dismiss them automatically, which is why my initial reaction was "who cares?" and not to contact them.

But you bring up a good point, though, Outlaw, and I think your idea is the mature and correct approach to this issue.

$Bill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2007, 04:33:08 PM »
Again, the person you'll be making your big point to is a customer service rep.  They may even be gay!  They certainly arent a decision maker.  I understand your need to make your point to these TTT crapholes, but if you really want to make a point, write your congressman, and ask them to please consider a bill that includes GLBT indviduals within the realm of anti-discrimination legislation in graduate school admissions.  Conatcing these offices has no point, and you can unsubscribe from their mailing list via email.

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2007, 09:56:46 PM »
They don't care how many people don't apply because of their nondiscriminatory policies: they don't want anyone with a different view, they don't respect anyone with a different view, and aren't particularly interested in changing.  Cool.

I have a friend who spoke to the Regent rep on campus and asked her if the law school was as conservative as its reputation.  He asked if discussions involved lots of different views or if everybody was a strict constructionist.  She responded with "oh, yeah, we have strict constructionists and, ummmmm....., the other views too."