Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Which t14's are harder and which are easier.  (Read 7877 times)

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Which t14's are harder and which are easier.
« Reply #50 on: December 11, 2007, 01:33:07 AM »
A quick phone call to the career office at any of the T14s will answer that question if any prospective applicants are curious.

I'm not talking about grade cutoffs for interviews like at the lower ranked schools here. I'm talking about a process where you upload your resume (which will usually have your GPA on it, if it's above a 3.0, and state any honors/special activities like law review, etc). The employer then looks at the resumes that were uploaded and decides who they want to interview.

Nobody disagrees with your general point.

Which schools do cut-offs for "other activities," though?

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 11, 2007, 11:52:11 AM »
At Texas OCI, students upload resumes (including GPA info), bid, employers looked at the resumes from people who bid on them, then it is up to the employer to choose interviewees.   Employers can use a hard grade cutoff or only interview from certain undergrad institutions or only people whose names begin with Z or whatever.  This is what I call pre-screening.

This is what some T14s do at their "other" interview programs. That is what I'm referring to.

Note that this is not the same as the OCI process at a tier 2 school. There, you do not even get to submit your resume or bid unless you meet the hard cutoff individual employers have chosen, and even if you do meet the hard cutoff, the employer is under no circumstances obligated to interview you.

At NU OCI, we bid.  Then a lottery matched you up with employers.  You were not supposed to put your GPA on your resume, but you did show up to the interview with a transcript.  Employers had no say in who they saw.  This is not pre-screening.

This is how most T14s do their main, "Fall OCI" program. It's entirely possible for a school to do this for the main OCI, then do the process you described above for "other" interview programs outside of the main Fall OCI program. THAT is what I was referring to. It is largely up to students whether or not they want to put GPAs on their resumes at most schools. At some schools, you do not upload your resume until you have been selected by the bidding system. So the employer does get to see your resume before they interview you, but even if they don't like you based on the resume they get right before the screening interview, they still have to interview you. And most students will put GPAs on their resumes unless their GPA is below 3.0.

EatYourVeggies

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 11, 2007, 11:57:20 AM »
That's how I was defining pre-screening within the T14. 

If an employer has to interview you even if they don't want you, you have not been pre-screened. 

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 11, 2007, 12:55:20 PM »
Some schools have several interview program outside OCI. Maybe NU doesn't, and that's why you don't get it.

What I mean by "other" interview programs are spring interview programs, government and public interest interview programs, etc.

It's entirely possible for a school to do this for the main OCI, then do the process you described above for "other" interview programs outside of the main Fall OCI program. THAT is what I was referring to.

Then I did not misunderstand you, and you have no examples of "other" programs.

Thanks.

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 11, 2007, 01:00:27 PM »
Some schools have several interview program outside OCI. Maybe NU doesn't, and that's why you don't get it.

What I mean by "other" interview programs are spring interview programs, government and public interest interview programs, etc.

It's entirely possible for a school to do this for the main OCI, then do the process you described above for "other" interview programs outside of the main Fall OCI program. THAT is what I was referring to.

Then I did not misunderstand you, and you have no examples of "other" programs.

Thanks.

Our spring (we call it winter) interview program has the exact same rules as OCI.  We bid on employers, GPAs (if we even have them) aren't on our resumes, they don't even see our resumes until a week before the interview, etc.
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

clairel

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago 3L
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: December 11, 2007, 05:33:51 PM »
i never knew prescreening was so complicated. ;D

chicago doesn't prescreen for any on campus interview things...you're supposed to bring a transcript to your interviews but our grading system is psycho, so it seems to only matter for a few of the most prestigious firms; some will also give you a grades cut-off (although since their median callback and offer grades are actually lower than that, it seems to be more of a guideline than a cut-off).

i think all t14s are generally intellectually challenging, especially if your undergrad was a slacker school (not dissing slacker schools...mine definitely was). the benefit is that since MOST people can get a good job, i would guess t14s are less competitive than lower tier ones or tier twos.

clairel

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago 3L
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: December 11, 2007, 06:04:49 PM »
i would guess most people go to new york or stay chicago. but i know at least 13 people coming back to california next summer. it doesn't seem a be huge problem to get jobs anywhere in the country assuming you're practical and don't apply to wachtell with bottom 25% grades!

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
  • It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 11, 2007, 06:06:59 PM »
chicago doesn't prescreen for any on campus interview things...you're supposed to bring a transcript to your interviews but our grading system is psycho, so it seems to only matter for a few of the most prestigious firms; some will also give you a grades cut-off (although since their median callback and offer grades are actually lower than that, it seems to be more of a guideline than a cut-off).

what exactly is the market of choice for chicago types anyway?  most people here obviously just stay put, but i figure such is not the case there.

You have such a chicago fetish  ;)
Quote from: Earthbound SNES
Get a sense of humor, Susan B. Anthony!
Quote from: dashrashi
I'm going to cut a female dog. With a knife with a brown handle, natch.
Quote from: Elephant Lee
Don't judge me. You've not had my life.

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 11, 2007, 07:14:52 PM »

Hey Miss Blues...
   I studied abroad this summer in South America and my Latin American Law Course taught in Argentina was taught by one of the professors at your school. His name is Professor Alejandro Garro, I believe he teaches only the latin American Law courses. I recommend taking him if you can, he is great!! Also he said that he teaches one of his classes in Spanish!! That is awesome!! L@@K him up when you get a chance and take a course with him. I would really like to.

i'm late and just saw this...thanks for the recommendation!
Columbia 3L

OnTheRoad

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 11, 2007, 11:14:03 PM »
Dudes. What exactly do you guys mean when you talk about having connections or not having connections in a market? I have an idea of where I want to be, a secondary market that I haven't lived in before. When people talk about having connections in a place, do they mean work connections or family connections or what? Should I convince my brother to move there so I can have "connections" there? Kind of confused by this.