Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Would you do all this for a 180?  (Read 5198 times)

The A-Team

• View Profile
Would you do all this for a 180?
« on: December 09, 2007, 01:13:54 AM »
I plan on taking the test in June 2008. Am I out of my mind for even thinking about attempting this?

From now until December 31st, I'm going over my notes from my logic class and the TM/PS materials. Then, in early January, I'm going to take my first diagnostic test (Preptest #20, October 1996).

For the remainder of January, I'm going to take the three February preptests from "The Official LSAT Superprep" book and the February preptest from "The Official Preptest with Explanations, Vol. 1". These are the February 1996,1999,2000,1997 tests, resp.

Starting in February, I will try and take a 5-section preptest every 5 days (Obviously, I would thoroughly review everything after taking a preptest.)

First 3 weeks (Feb 1st to Feb 21st):
LSAT PrepTest 27 - December 1998
LSAT PrepTest 28 - June 1999
LSAT PrepTest 29 - October 1999
LSAT PrepTest 30 - December 1999
(Use sections from June 1996 as experimental)

Next 3 weeks (Feb 22st to Mar 7th):
LSAT PrepTest 31 - June 2000
LSAT PrepTest 32 - October 2000
LSAT PrepTest 33 - December 2000
LSAT PrepTest 34 - June 2001
(Use sections from December 1996 as experimental)

Next 3 weeks (Mar 8th to Mar 31st):
LSAT PrepTest 35 - October 2001
LSAT PrepTest 36 - December 2001
LSAT PrepTest 37 - June 2002
LSAT PrepTest 38 - October 2002
(Use sections from June 1997 as experimental)

Next 3 weeks (Apr 1st to Apr 21st):
LSAT PrepTest 39 - December 2002
LSAT PrepTest 40 - June 2003
LSAT PrepTest 41 - October 2003
LSAT PrepTest 42 - December 2003
(Use sections from October 1997 as experimental)

The next 6 weeks, I would take a preptest every 3 days:

Next 2 weeks (Apr 22nd to May 7th):
LSAT PrepTest 43 - June 2004
LSAT PrepTest 44 - October 2004
LSAT PrepTest 45 - December 2004
LSAT PrepTest 46 - June 2005
(Use sections from December 1997 as experimental)

Next 2 weeks (May 8th to May 21st):
LSAT PrepTest 47 - October 2005
LSAT PrepTest 48 - December 2005
LSAT PrepTest 49 - June 2006
LSAT PrepTest 50 - September 2006
(Use sections from June 1998 as experimental)

Next 2 weeks (May 22nd to Jun 7th):
LSAT PrepTest 51 - December 2006
LSAT PrepTest - June 2007
LSAT PrepTest 52 - September 2007
LSAT PrepTest 53 - December 2007
(Use sections from September 1998 as experimental)

So what do you think? Would any of you do this?

TurboGirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - turbogirl3535
    • View Profile
Re: Would you do all this for a 180?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2007, 01:54:15 AM »
I think doing at least that much prep is pretty common for high 160s-170s scorers who needed a 10 pt raise or so.

If you are scoring in th 170s or high 160s right now that might do the trick, othrewise I think you may be underestimnating what is required for a 180 score.

BearlyLegal

• LSD Obsessed
  • And the greatest threat to America is... Bears!!!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Newjoetm
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2007, 01:57:51 AM »
LOL I did that much for a 163 test day. There are no givens on the LSAT.

Good luck.

UMDMike

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2007, 02:22:48 AM »
Sounds like you’re a neurotic psycho
University of Minnesota Law Class of 2011

traydeuce

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2007, 03:20:06 AM »
Honestly, if I had to study that much to get a 180, or whatever score I wanted, I'd just move on to another field. I don't do the whole studying for tests thing (and yeah, I know, in law school I'll have to, but I actually find law really interesting so I won't mind reading tons of case law). In fact, between my September test and this one, I didn't study at all, all I did was take a couple of games sections to make sure I was still sharp and hope for the best.

BearlyLegal

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2007, 03:29:57 AM »
Honestly, if I had to study that much to get a 180, or whatever score I wanted, I'd just move on to another field. I don't do the whole studying for tests thing (and yeah, I know, in law school I'll have to, but I actually find law really interesting so I won't mind reading tons of case law). In fact, between my September test and this one, I didn't study at all, all I did was take a couple of games sections to make sure I was still sharp and hope for the best.
How'd you do in september?

(Your work ethic is amazing BTW)

jamie9

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2007, 03:36:32 AM »

Sad.  A profession where you have to do 10 hours (albeit annoying hours) a week for a couple months to kick start isn't worth getting into?  Even when you find it really interesting?  Sad.

I had a schedule much like that, and it seemed to work out for me, but as said there are no guarantees.  It also depends where you start out.  I'd say you could raise your score on average 10-15 points with that kind of schedule, but it's different for everyone and who knows what test day will bring.

traydeuce

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2007, 04:02:28 AM »

I got a 170, so... the games section was rough in September, I was -4 on that, but I'd been doing fine on games sections in practice, so I figured that one was just unusually difficult. And then I was -2 on every other section, just stupid mistakes really, overthinking this, underthinking that - wasn't like practice was going to fix anything. So far I know of just one question I got wrong this time and I think I aced the games. As for whether it's sad, I've never believed in studying for standardized tests. Honestly I think it's a little silly. I never spent a second on SAT prep, granted because I didn't have to, and with this I just practiced the games a little. With the rest I felt that I know how to read, I know how to reason, I think I do both very well and if I didn't, I'm not a child anymore, it's not like I'm about to learn how to do either much better. You are who you are. Like, mainly I'm doing law, though I find it interesting, because it's the one thing I know I'm a natural at. There's nothing I understand quite as well as law. It's the only field where I'm practically assured of success. Whereas if I did investment banking, it might not work out, if I went to film school, I might lack what it takes to be a good director (to say nothing of how competitive a field it is) - but law, I really have a mind for, and that's primarily why I'm doing it. If I had to work my ass off to get a high score, by definition I wouldn't be a natural, and my whole reason for wanting to be a lawyer wouldn't be there.

BearlyLegal

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2007, 04:07:47 AM »

I got a 170, so... the games section was rough in September, I was -4 on that, but I'd been doing fine on games sections in practice, so I figured that one was just unusually difficult. And then I was -2 on every other section, just stupid mistakes really, overthinking this, underthinking that - wasn't like practice was going to fix anything. So far I know of just one question I got wrong this time and I think I aced the games. As for whether it's sad, I've never believed in studying for standardized tests. Honestly I think it's a little silly. I never spent a second on SAT prep, granted because I didn't have to, and with this I just practiced the games a little. With the rest I felt that I know how to read, I know how to reason, I think I do both very well and if I didn't, I'm not a child anymore, it's not like I'm about to learn how to do either much better. You are who you are. Like, mainly I'm doing law, though I find it interesting, because it's the one thing I know I'm a natural at. There's nothing I understand quite as well as law. It's the only field where I'm practically assured of success. Whereas if I did investment banking, it might not work out, if I went to film school, I might lack what it takes to be a good director (to say nothing of how competitive a field it is) - but law, I really have a mind for, and that's primarily why I'm doing it. If I had to work my ass off to get a high score, by definition I wouldn't be a natural, and my whole reason for wanting to be a lawyer wouldn't be there.
Congrats on the unstudied 170. Quite an accomplishment. Still, having a mind for the LSAT isn't the same thing as having a mind for legal practice.

Then again you may well have a mind for both. Congrats again.

These results are atypical and your mileage may vary.

gclemen1

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2007, 10:27:26 AM »
wow...just wow...that is the most methodically planned study outline I have ever seen!