Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Why are the Clintons so popular in the black community?  (Read 2799 times)

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Why are the Clintons so popular in the black community?
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2007, 11:25:08 AM »
Some black people think state legislature is inadequate preparation for the Presidency

Not enough to make a difference.  You don't need to know *&^% to be President.

So you're saying that the reason black people who support candidates other than Obama do so is because they don't think a black man can win?

It may not be THE reason but to answer your question - Yes.  Monica, it may be sad but its true. I'm here to tell you today that if I had a nickel for every black person who I've heard say that they are not voting for Barack becasue they don't think a black man can win I could quit my day job.
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2007, 04:53:53 PM »
You need to find some quotes from random ordinary people at the sto'.  I'm not talking about elites.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2007, 07:21:08 PM »
OK, fine.  I will revise my estimate to 95%.  You get your 5% who make decisions on other factors.  Happy? :)

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2007, 07:30:19 PM »
I would never advocate voting for somebody because they are black/woman/white, etc.  That's ignorant.

I honestly believe that Barack is the best qualified candidate over the other two front runners thus deserving of support from the black community as well as the American people at large.  If he wasn't qualified then I would hope that nobody from the black community would support him solely because he is black.
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

7S

• Sr. Citizen
  • Self-determination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2007, 10:35:46 PM »
I would never advocate voting for somebody because they are black/woman/white, etc.  That's ignorant.

I honestly believe that Barack is the best qualified candidate over the other two front runners thus deserving of support from the black community as well as the American people at large.  If he wasn't qualified then I would hope that nobody from the black community would support him solely because he is black.

This is completely fair and reasonable. I merely took issue with the insination that any black person who doesn't support Barack Obama must not think a black person can be President at all. I mean, I even think Barack would be acceptable as President, I just think we have a better option in John Edwards. If Barack wins the primaries, I'll definitely campaign for him. (Don't know that I can say that for everyone, but I'll say it for Barack.)

it's a start, i guess. :D
It is easy to change the language of oppression without changing the sociopolitical situation of its victims.

Statistic

• LSD Obsessed
  • I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2007, 11:11:19 PM »
Umm -- what's wrong with black people supporting Obama bc he's black? There's nothing wrong with that at all. That's not "pathological". It would be pathological if we were backing slave owners or something.
Look to the left -- Look to the right

7S

• Sr. Citizen
  • Self-determination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2007, 12:09:11 AM »
You're the cult follower here, not me. :P There's clearly a good (Biden, Hillary), better (Obama), and best (John) in this race! ;)

you still sippin' that Edwards Kool-aid...
It is easy to change the language of oppression without changing the sociopolitical situation of its victims.

Eugene Young

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2007, 08:40:10 AM »

Yet again, titcr.

On another note, generally speaking, black people got some serious issues. But we already knew that.

7S

• Sr. Citizen
  • Self-determination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2007, 01:08:43 PM »
Umm -- what's wrong with black people supporting Obama bc he's black? There's nothing wrong with that at all.

Initially, I didn't agree with this, but now I kind of do...I don't think Obama being black is the core of his appeal, but it does play a small part. His color doesn't invoke any loyalty to race, but it does make him more relatable to me as a person who is also marginalized by society. I would say the same for a woman, gay, disabled, etc candidate that expressed views similar to mine about the underserved.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2007, 02:42:43 PM »
Obama's being black is the only reason I'd vote for him.  Symbolic representation.