Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Why are the Clintons so popular in the black community?  (Read 3064 times)

doublehoo22

• View Profile
Why are the Clintons so popular in the black community?
« on: December 08, 2007, 01:50:06 PM »
Over the past few months I have found myself asking why are the Clintons so popular in the black community?  I too thought the Clintons were huge advocates for minority issues but I am now wondering just how true that is.  I am having a hard time figuring out what is the source of these beliefs are.  When you consider how in some states Clinton is leading or tied with Obama among blacks, it seems as thought this belief is pretty widespread.  What do you all think?

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Why are the Clintons so popular in the black community?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2007, 10:24:02 AM »
Over the past few months I have found myself asking why are the Clintons so popular in the black community?  I too thought the Clintons were huge advocates for minority issues but I am now wondering just how true that is.  I am having a hard time figuring out what is the source of these beliefs are.  When you consider how in some states Clinton is leading or tied with Obama among blacks, it seems as thought this belief is pretty widespread.  What do you all think?

As far as Bill Clinton, I think much of his popularity with the black community came when he appointed a record number of black people to his cabinet - more than any other president in US history before or since. 

Plus he played the sax on Arsenio Hall so c'mon.   :D

As far as Hillary I don't think she is that popular with the black community or any community for that matter (not even among women).  But for whatever reason she is viewed as the candidate who has the best chance of winning the general election, so you'll hear black voters say they'd rather give their vote to somebody who will win because obviously, according to many members of the black community, a black man can not become president of the United States of America.
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2007, 08:23:22 PM »
Some black people think state legislature is inadequate preparation for the Presidency

Not enough to make a difference.  You don't need to know *&^% to be President.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2007, 09:38:35 PM »
Some black people think state legislature is inadequate preparation for the Presidency

So you're saying that the reason black people who support candidates other than Obama do so is because they don't think a black man can win?

Well it's not like those are the only two reasons possible.  There are other more probable reasons...black people don't trust black people to run things, black people have been cultured to think that nillas should be in charge, the crabs-in-a-barrel effect, etc.

Eugene Young

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2007, 10:03:48 PM »

So you're saying that the reason black people who support candidates other than Obama do so is because they don't think a black man can win?

Well it's not like those are the only two reasons possible.  There are other more probable reasons...black people don't trust black people to run things, black people have been cultured to think that nillas should be in charge, the crabs-in-a-barrel effect, etc.

titmfcr. hell, andy young pretty much said it yesterday. wait till 2016....smh

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2007, 10:28:49 PM »
I'd think that you, of all people, would be opposed to that sort of groupthink.

Lol well I'm not a Democrat (or a Republican, mind you, gallery).  So that already rules out using me as an example when describing black political thought.

No need to say anyone is less of a quality black person because he or she prefers one candidate's vision over another's.

If I actually thought people were making decisions based off of a candidates' visions, I would agree.  But let me go home and ask people what the "vision" of any of the major candidates is.  I guarantee 99% of the responses would be blank stares.  I dare venture to say that most black people aren't voting on "visions."

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2007, 10:52:55 PM »
And my argument is simply that I don't think people are making the informed choices that you think they are.  I'm not saying that supporting Obama is necessarily a commentary on Obama.  But I think for many, if not most, black people, it is.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2007, 11:18:07 PM »
If you say so.  Either way, it's idle speculation.  I just happen to think that my cynicism is correct.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2007, 12:43:37 AM »
And I'd call yours naively idealistic.  But whatever :P

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2007, 12:53:42 AM »
I understand your view perfectly.  I just don't agree with it (ETA: for the purposes of this argument ;)).  But anyway, dear friend, it is past my bed time.  Have a good night!