Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is UW-Madison a "public ivy"  (Read 17097 times)

trizkutt

• View Profile
Re: Is UW-Madison a "public ivy"
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2007, 02:08:19 PM »
The average person doesn't read specific rankings by major looking for where Wisconsin is ranked.
Really? I have heard otherwise. If given a choice, would an employer take a student that graduated from a top 5 ranked program from the 25th ranked school, or the 25th ranked program from a 5th ranked school? Unless you have emperical evidence that can refute this, I would refrain making such ludicrious generalizations.

I came in to this thread believing that most people would consider UW a public Ivy. I am really surprised to find that most people do not. So would these guys be...

http://collegeapps.about.com/od/choo...bestpublic.htm

http://www.sparknotes.com/college/admissions/page2.html

EatYourVeggies

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2007, 02:29:16 PM »
Agree with Archibald.

What's the point of your thread if you just started it to argue with people who disagreed with you?  You asked our opinions.  Consensus is Wisconsin is great but not stellar enough to be among the most elite of the public schools.

Employers only know what your program is ranked in specific situations and highly-technical degrees.  The average person (and the average employer) will only have their concepts of school rankings, and to most people there cannot be 30 "elite" public schools without losing the definition of elite.  Wisconsin is just not a UVA, Berkeley, or even a Michigan, North Carolina, Texas, etc. 

1s2io72

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2007, 02:30:34 PM »
I went to UW.  It's a solid school and you can find some top notch programs, but I don't see the point in trying to attach the name Ivy.

It's a great Big10 school, behind Northwestern and Michigan.....but ahead of Michy St. and Purdue if you look at the schools overall.  There are plenty of majors at UW that stack up nationally and there are enough slacker programs that the goof balls can cruise through.  Wouldn't call it Ivy.

EatYourVeggies

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2007, 02:31:23 PM »
And you're citing the Spark Notes rankings of public ivies???

I wouldn't trust Sparknotes to tell me the theme of The Scarlet Letter much less where to go to school.

_retired_

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2007, 02:49:09 PM »
Whatever its original purpose and meaning, I think the whole concept of "Public Ivies" has come to be a matter of insecurity.  Everyone wants the prestige of the Ivy label without having to get admitted, attend the school, or pay the costs of tuition.  If you want the Ivy label, go to one of the schools.  If not, don't try to use it to elevate your school and alleviate your insecurities; let your school's name carry what weight it will and leave it at that.  There are plenty of publics and LACs that elicit sufficient respect without needing to desperately associate themselves with that label. [/my opinion]

;;;;;

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2007, 03:15:12 PM »
Madison is not a public ivy.

people from illinois go to UW because they can't get into UIUC.

Granted, I'm biased cuz I got to Wisconsin and am from here...

But I have never heard anyone say that.  UIUC sucks compared to UW.
"Don't read what they write about you, just measure it in inches."  Andy Warhol

1s2io72

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2007, 03:45:07 PM »
UW has a bunch of fortune 500 CEOs...does that stat matter any more than ibanks?  None of it matters much.  UI and UW are about the same.  They're both thought of as solid schools across the country.

Madison has recognition nationally because of radical protest wackos 40 years ago.  I live in the Southwest and have had contractors refer to it as the Berkley of the Midwest based on their knowledge of the nutjobs that used to make noise.

It all means nothing once you get a job.  Employers care about one thing, regardless of the industry, that you produce quality deliverables and manage your resources well. 

I can has lauskul!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2007, 04:54:15 PM »

I came in to this thread believing that most people would consider UW a public Ivy. I am really surprised to find that most people do not.

If you think it's such a great school, then go there.  Clearly, fishing the message boards for confirmation would indicate you have doubts.  Or perhaps you're just a self-affirmation junkie.

trizkutt

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2007, 04:55:01 PM »
Want more proof? Wisconsin was the #3 public in producing Fulbright Scholars this year, behind Michigan and Berkley, between Stanford and Johns Hopkins.

trizkutt

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2007, 04:55:41 PM »
What now? Wisc just passed UMich and UCLA as the NUMBER TWO research University in the country after Johns Hopkins in terms of overall $$$. This after the $85 million dollar gift to the B School. What will it take for you fools to recognize?

http://www.news.wisc.edu/14424