Law School Discussion

Is UW-Madison a "public ivy"

Re: Is UW-Madison a "public ivy"
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2007, 02:35:48 PM »
Insecure much?  Seriously, please stop.  It's simultaneously pathetic and annoying.
I don't even go to UW-Madison, but I'm transferring there from UW-Platteville.

Well I do, and I'm still asking you to stop.
Don't you find it annoying that people fail to realize that UW-Madison is a public ivy?

« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2007, 02:36:31 PM »
Flame.  Well-done.  The slow escalation was key.

« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2007, 02:42:29 PM »
Bravo.  You're in rare flamer company.

You should be very proud of yourself now.

« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2007, 03:03:25 PM »
frankly, i'm glad this turned out to be flame.

Agreed.  Had me going though.

;;;;;

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2007, 03:37:33 PM »
I think the entire point about labeling UW as an 'ivy' is a bit silly.  I guess, who cares?

But I still don't agree with you Confused that UIUC is a better school than UW and that people in Illinois would rather go there than UW.  Why would ACT scores matter compared to overall rankings, research and reputation.  I don't think ACT scores are indicative of any of these considerations.

Also, to site this study again of the top universities in the world, UW is 17th.  No too shabby. http://www.arwu.org/rank/2007/ARWU2007_Top100.htm

I don't want to get into a pissing match about this, but you need to give me better evidence that UIUC is a better school than the UW, which is (from my understanding) the main consideration when discussing reputation.

;;;;;

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2007, 03:48:23 PM »
I think the entire point about labeling UW as an 'ivy' is a bit silly.  I guess, who cares?

But I still don't agree with you Confused that UIUC is a better school than UW and that people in Illinois would rather go there than UW.  Why would ACT scores matter compared to overall rankings, research and reputation.  I don't think ACT scores are indicative of any of these considerations.

Also, to site this study again of the top universities in the world, UW is 17th.  No too shabby. http://www.arwu.org/rank/2007/ARWU2007_Top100.htm

I don't want to get into a pissing match about this, but you need to give me better evidence that UIUC is a better school than the UW, which is (from my understanding) the main consideration when discussing reputation.

That top universities of the world is focused on research and graduate programs.  If we are simply talking about undergraduate programs UIUC and UWisc are basically the same with UIUC being slightly more difficult to get into.  Engineering is ranked higher by USNews and is Business.  Look at where the ibanks hire.  They go to UIUC way more than Madison.

Personaly, I should be more biased towards Madison.  I am from Milwaukee.  Still, objectively looking at the two of them, they are basically the same.  If I had to, I would give an edge to Illinois.

Word...I agree they are very similar and each excel in different areas.  My biggest complaint with UW is as a polisci major, I feel like since there is such a heavy emphasis on science here we kind of get left behind.  The university is constantly building research centers but can't seem to hire more profs in the polisci dept. to cut class sizes down.

PS. congrats on Loyola.  I hope I get some news from them soon too:)

« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2007, 04:31:59 PM »
frankly, i'm glad this turned out to be flame.

i'm also glad he is a flame.  i mean uw-madison as a public ivy  ::)

he didn't even respond to my ACT comparison post with UIUC!
The point is that UW-Madison historically ranks in the top 8 amongst publics according to USNEWS.  http://chronicle.com/stats/usnews/

Among the top 10 publics: Cal, UVA, Michigan, UCLA, UNC, W&M, UW-Madison, UCSD, GaTech, and UIUC, here are the rankings UW has had among the publics since 1996: 6th, 8th, 8th, 8th, 8th, 8th, 8th, 7th, 7th, 7th, 8th, 7th, and t-8th.  Clearly, UW is in the top 8 publics.  If the top 8 publics are public ivies, then wouldnt this make UW a public ivy? 

ACT scores are essentially the same.  1 point higher at the 25% and 75% marks hardly equates to being a superior school.  The historical usnews rankings show that UW is perceived as being better than UIUC.  Only in 1983 and 1988 has UIUC had a higher ranking.  Once usnews began consistently ranking in 1996, UW has had a higher ranking every year, except for 2000 when they were tied at 34 and that was the highest ranking UIUC has had since 1996.  Therefore, UW > UIUC.

« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2007, 04:57:43 PM »

Flamer?  Well, I'd just like to take this opportunity to inform you that a federal judge agreed to write a letter of rec. for me for law school. And on top of that, I just got a 179 on a timed practice test I took at testmasters. This once again proves that I am >>>>> you, and UW-Madison is indeed a public ivy. HTFT, you fag.

« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2007, 05:01:21 PM »

Flamer?  Well, I'd just like to take this opportunity to inform you that a federal judge agreed to write a letter of rec. for me for law school. And on top of that, I just got a 179 on a timed practice test I took at testmasters. This once again proves that I am >>>>> you, and UW-Madison is indeed a public ivy. HTFT, you fag.

flamed me once, shame on you
flame me twice, shame on me

i won't bite this time

« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2007, 05:03:16 PM »
And thanks for (weakly) playing.  Have a nice day.