Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: ITT: A law school slacker answers all of your questions...  (Read 8108 times)

$Bill

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: ITT: A law school slacker answers all of your questions...
« Reply #60 on: December 10, 2007, 01:58:16 PM »
Following up on videogames in law school, there are several games I want to play coming out.  Now TF2 and madden are all good, but do you feel that you have enough spare time to really play alot of a single game, like for instance fallout 3 or the Conan MMO coming out.  How much time do you have to waste when your balancing drinking/networking

ilsox7

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: December 10, 2007, 02:34:58 PM »
Dude, buy your "friend" a beer and tell him to not worry about it - because law schools won't.

I disagree.  Having 3 drinking-related offenses with one of them being very serious will not be a good thing.

$Bill

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: December 10, 2007, 02:48:28 PM »
Following up on videogames in law school, there are several games I want to play coming out.  Now TF2 and madden are all good, but do you feel that you have enough spare time to really play alot of a single game, like for instance fallout 3 or the Conan MMO coming out.  How much time do you have to waste when your balancing drinking/networking

Whoa, wait Fallout 3 is coming out, WHEN, link, LOVE those games!

Being made by bethesda, oblivion guys.  They bought the IP from interplay, gonna be released ~Feb 09.  Fallout made me the man I am today, unfortunately.

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 10, 2007, 08:03:10 PM »
Dude, buy your "friend" a beer and tell him to not worry about it - because law schools won't.

I disagree.  Having 3 drinking-related offenses with one of them being very serious will not be a good thing.

It really won't be a problem for law school.  A quick addendum will cover it (I was young and stupid), and they won't think too much about it.

The exam went well - 16 coherent double-spaced pages in 3 hours.  I can think of one minor issue I missed, but no big deal - I am sure I missed many more that I can't even think of.

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 10, 2007, 08:08:00 PM »
Cigar and Scotch followed by watching Grindhouse will fill up the rest of my night.

Tomorrow I will get to 150 stars on Super Mario 64 DS - and compile some sort of contracts outline.

ilsox7

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: December 10, 2007, 09:57:08 PM »
It really won't be a problem for law school.  A quick addendum will cover it (I was young and stupid), and they won't think too much about it.

That's not necessarily true.  Three drinking-related offenses, with the severity increasing among the three, is not a good thing.  It may not keep someone out of law school, but it certainly will not help an application.

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 10, 2007, 11:30:49 PM »

That's not necessarily true.  Three drinking-related offenses, with the severity increasing among the three, is not a good thing.  It may not keep someone out of law school, but it certainly will not help an application.

No more posts in this thread please.  No it will not help his application.  He will not get quad-A (alcoholics anonymous affirmative action) - but this will not keep him out of law school.  So like I said - it will not be problem if he properly addresses what happened (it probably won't be a problem anyways).  Dude didn't murder anyone (and murderers get to go to law school too).

ilsox7

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: December 10, 2007, 11:38:51 PM »
So like I said - it will not be problem if he properly addresses what happened (it probably won't be a problem anyways).  Dude didn't murder anyone (and murderers get to go to law school too).

Well, you're wrong on this point, hence my posts.  Three alcohol offenses (with at least one being serious) will probably mean he has a hearing for Character and Fitness when applying to the Bar.  That means law schools will seriously take into account what has happened.  As I said, it doesn't mean he won't get into law school, but it does mean there is a very good chance he won't get accepted at a few places he otherwise would have.

BigLulz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 10, 2007, 11:42:03 PM »
I just re-watched the fourth season of The Wire.

Please take a moment to agree with me that it is the best show on television, or make a compelling argument to the contrary.

The Wire is absolutely one of the best shows on television. I rewatched season 4 a couple of weeks ago - the fifth and final season starts Jan. 6.
!!!

ilsox7

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #69 on: December 10, 2007, 11:47:00 PM »
there is a very good chance he won't get accepted at a few places he otherwise would have.

Cite?

(Sorry, but a, um, good friend with a much spookier criminal record had no big problems with admissions.)

I'm not sure what you want me to cite.  Do I know of people who had alcohol offenses that had some weird dings during the application process?  Yep.  Have I heard (and read here) of others suffering the same?  Yep.  Do I know of people having to go through a hearing after graduating and taking the Bar b/c of alcohol offenses?  Yep.

So, as I said before, it will not prevent him from getting into law school.  But with how competitive law school admissions are these days, if you think it will have no impact on his application, you're wrong.

Think of if this way: a school has 100 applications with very similar numbers.  They are going to accept 25 of those.  They look to eliminate applications first.  Having three alcohol offenses, at least one of which is serious, is certainly not going to look good.