Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What Do You Think About People that Attend LS at Their Former Undergrad?  (Read 2479 times)

ilsox7

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: What Do You Think About People that Attend LS at Their Former Undergrad?
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2007, 11:36:41 PM »
-I truly believe that employers at law firms do slightly consider your UG school

They don't consider it per se, but if you interview with someone who is an alum of your undergrad, it certainly cannot hurt.  My first interview with the place I am going full-time was with a fellow alum of my undergrad institution.  Having said that, I was a day away from committing to my undergrad for law school, too (after a couple years working).  But in the end, the advantage of going to school in a major market outweighed school in the middle of nowhere.

ilsox7

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2007, 11:41:26 PM »
-I truly believe that employers at law firms do slightly consider your UG school

They don't consider it per se, but if you interview with someone who is an alum of your undergrad, it certainly cannot hurt.  My first interview with the place I am going full-time was with a fellow alum of my undergrad institution.  Having said that, I was a day away from committing to my undergrad for law school, too (after a couple years working).  But in the end, the advantage of going to school in a major market outweighed school in the middle of nowhere.

what school did you end up going to and which one did you turn down?

I went to Indiana for my undergraduate.  I ended up at Loyola Chicago for law school.

ilsox7

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2007, 12:13:27 AM »
From what I know anecdotally (which probably doesn't mean much), if one went to a prestigious UG, it could help a great deal with the 1L job search.  (For me, I want to work in Chicago, so my UG should help big time)

It's quite possible.  Any time you have something in common with someone, it is an instant connection.  You can add attorneys who attended your undergrad to your list of people to e-mail about jobs.  It especially helps if the institution is top notch.  Indiana U. certainly is not a top notch school overall, but their business program was/is a top 5 or top 10 program.  It certainly helped a bit to have that on my resume and have the connection with the first interviewer.

The Count

• The Don Juan of S. St.
    • View Profile
    • ~LSD~
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2007, 12:17:39 AM »

didn't read the whole tread but the bottom line is it's good in some situations (family roots and desire to work in the area) and bad in others (staying put in the name of complacency).

How many times must I slap you before I get my money? One! Two! Two slaps, HA! HA! HA!

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TheCount

billymahogany

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2007, 03:14:23 AM »
I was speaking with a friend of mine that thinks he'll stay in Iowa for another three years to finish LS, but I was brazenly against the option for some reason.  Although something about it feels off-putting, I don't know what.  I mean, LS is a chance to explore a little, right?

Can anyone come up with good reasons for or against the decision?

To the OP: After reading your LSN profile, I have decided to nominate you for biggest feminine hygiene product of all time on lawschooldiscussion.org. Congrats.

Stop sounding like such a pu$$y.

::nods and wonders how many more are thinking the same thing::
In:  UF, Tulane, FSU($), Miami($$$), Stetson, Oregon($)
Out: Washington and Lee
W/L: Arizona
Decision: UF c/o 2011!

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2007, 05:13:53 AM »
I don't think that it's necessarily a bad thing to stay at your UG for law school, but even if my UG offered a JD (they don't), I wouldn't stick around. I guess it depends on the school and the person really. Either way, I think that it's a personal call and no one in the big boy world will fault you for it.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.