Law School Discussion

Magic the Gathering PS - Good Idea?

bloomlaw

• Welcome to the Monkey House
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Magic the Gathering PS - Good Idea?
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2007, 09:12:23 AM »

Beads of sweat formed under my double chin as I nervously eyed my opponent's Morphling. I had run out of options--my last counterspell was cast, none of my creatures could block the flying blue threat, and Wrath of God was buried deep in my deck. That's when I had an epiphany.

I realized that if I continue my life of getting mana-screwed out of tournaments, I may never get screwed in real life. So I decided to become a lawyer to make myself a more appealing mate in our sexually selective society.

I tried to put this as my sig but it wouldn't fit... bummer

« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2007, 09:41:07 AM »

Beads of sweat formed under my double chin as I nervously eyed my opponent's Morphling. I had run out of options--my last counterspell was cast, none of my creatures could block the flying blue threat, and Wrath of God was buried deep in my deck. That's when I had an epiphany.

I realized that if I continue my life of getting mana-screwed out of tournaments, I may never get screwed in real life. So I decided to become a lawyer to make myself a more appealing mate in our sexually selective society.

LOL!  Can't believe I missed this.

vap

• Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2007, 09:43:36 AM »
PM it to me too, please.

Depends on how you write it - I don't think the topic should be totally off limits.

It might make a difference whether or not you continue to play.  You don't want to reflect too far in the past.  Also, what somebody else said about whether you played at a PT/Nationals/Worlds/etc. might hold true.  Your PS doesn't have to be about a significant accomplishment, but it could help shake any possible nerd/juvenile stereotype that a 50-something adcom will have.

BearlyLegal

• And the greatest threat to America is... Bears!!!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Newjoetm
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2007, 09:50:29 AM »
I am gonna write about the Pokeyman world competition! Go go Pikachu! I will be the best!

I want to be the very best
Like no one ever was
To catch them is my real test
To train them is my cause (oooh)
I will travel across the land
Searchin' far and wide
Each Pokemon to understand
The power that's inside! (Power inside!)

Pokemon!
It's you and me.
I know it's my destiny!
Pokemon!
Ooh you're my best friend
In a world we must defend!
Pokemon!
A heart so true
Our courage will pull us through
You teach me and I'll teach you
Pokemon!
(Gotta catch 'em) Gotta catch 'em Gotta catch 'em all!

Every challenge along the way
With courage I will face
I will battle everyday
To claim my rightful place!
Come with me, the time is right!
There's no better team
Arm and arm, we'll win the fight!
It's always been a dream!

Pokemon!
It's you and me.
I know it's my destiny!
Pokemon!
Pokemon!
A heart so true
Pokemon!
(Gotta catch 'em) Gotta catch 'em (Pokemon!)

Pokemon!
It's you and me.
I know it's my destiny!
Pokemon!
Pokemon!
A heart so true
Pokemon!
(I'll catch you!)
(Gotta catch 'em Gotta catch 'em Gotta catch 'em all!
Pokemon!

Yah!

« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2007, 12:01:31 PM »
Still here. Liking all the comments.

I'm actually deciding whether or not I'm even applying for Fall '08 or '09 so it's been a drag to finish the PS. I have drafted at least three versions so far. None of them good yet though because I've been playing with what people have said. So far, I'm having trouble figuring out the context. I have a very "unique" background so I just want to point out that when I do use MTG it will not be from a nerd/dork perspective. The main thing is that this is from the point of view of a non-American MTG player, I'm an immigrant as I've mentioned. Where I played MTG, it was far from being an insular activity enjoyed only by geeks. It was actually a popular hobby for everyone in my grade and the college community nearby, so as a 13 year old I was playing with college kids.

Thanks for everyone's input. And when I do have a draft that's worth sharing I will pm those that have expressed interest.

Where may I find this utopia?

BearlyLegal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2007, 12:12:11 PM »

I'm actually deciding whether or not I'm even applying for Fall '08 or '09 so it's been a drag to finish the PS. I have drafted at least three versions so far. None of them good yet though because I've been playing with what people have said. So far, I'm having trouble figuring out the context. I have a very "unique" background so I just want to point out that when I do use MTG it will not be from a nerd/dork perspective. The main thing is that this is from the point of view of a non-American MTG player, I'm an immigrant as I've mentioned. Where I played MTG, it was far from being an insular activity enjoyed only by geeks. It was actually a popular hobby for everyone in my grade and the college community nearby, so as a 13 year old I was playing with college kids.

Thanks for everyone's input. And when I do have a draft that's worth sharing I will pm those that have expressed interest.

Where may I find this utopia?
I believe it's located in the alternate reality of Dominaria...

« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2007, 02:41:48 PM »
i'd also really like to read the OP's provisional PS

credo

• This life's a game; let's play for larger stakes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2007, 03:54:56 PM »

Instead of writing about MTG make it about poker or bridge or something.  Adcomms will be more familiar with it and you can still get in the logical reasoning/competitive aspect of it as something you love.

BearlyLegal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2007, 03:56:44 PM »

Instead of writing about MTG make it about poker or bridge or something.  Adcomms will be more familiar with it and you can still get in the logical reasoning/competitive aspect of it as something you love.
It's time to...

D-d-d..DUEL!!!!

credo

• This life's a game; let's play for larger stakes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 11, 2007, 04:11:06 PM »

It's time to...

D-d-d..DUEL!!!!

Magicz rulez, Pokemonz droolz