Law School Discussion

Magic the Gathering PS - Good Idea?

$Bill

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Magic the Gathering PS - Good Idea?
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2007, 04:39:32 PM »
shenanigans
Once in my caf in hs two guys got into a slap fight over some card with a black flower over it, the teachers started to break it up, then realized what it was over, and totally forgot about it.  Send me a proofed copy and Ill really rip it apart for ya, i love original essays.
LOL @ "some card with a black flower":

http://cgi.ebay.com/Black-Lotus-NM-M-Beta-ID-2721-Magic-Card-MTG_W0QQitemZ300165548203QQihZ020QQcategoryZ19115QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

I'd slap some high school kid for that kind of dough too!  :D

Quis Custodiet

• Omar Khayyam
    • AOL Instant Messenger - blcenturion
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2007, 06:14:53 PM »
Looking back at the posts in this topic, I'd be curious to ask those who opposed writing on "Geek" topics the following question:

If you were reading a PS from someone who wrote about Magic, D&D, WoW, et c, what information would you need to see them address to consider their PS good?

My grammar is crap tonight, so I'll give an example:

I began my PS with the idea that I joined ROTC before I knew the O stood for officer.  I felt that, having said this, I needed to address the fact that I was not starting law school with no clear direction:  that I had actually looked at some of the small print this time.  I think that many Personal Statements will raise issues that need to be answered.

The obvious is that if someone writes a Personal Statement about Magic the Gathering, they would need to address the geek stereotype.  They'd need to show that they didn't stay within an insular community, that they were social, et c.  I'm not talking about a PS completely about Magic, but rather, one that uses it as a setting  for some other topic.

So, if you were an adcomm, and I admitted to playing Magic the Gathering in my PS, what would I have to prove to you throughout the rest of my application for you to consider me viable? (Other than numbers, of course--let's assume someone at the medians).

juliemccoy

• Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2007, 06:35:40 PM »
No. This is not a good idea.

The PS is a marketing exercise. You're trying to sell yourself to the school. They want students who will fit in, not out.

There's nothing wrong with an intellectual topic, like talking about how a classic book influenced your life. There's nothing wrong with having nerd hobbies like being a numismatist, if written properly. Football is great. I don't really understand how someone could write a PS about Justin Timberlake, but that's contemporary. Most people can relate.

Don't talk about your WOW or D&D or Magic the Gathering or Comic Book Collections. It just sounds weird and juvenile and makes you sound like an outcast.

Law schools are looking for diversity, but the kind that will mix well and help everyone to become more well-rounded. It's a good idea to try to step outside the box, but don't go so far out there that your reader can't relate to you.

I think you're on the right track to looking at things that make you unique, but this just gives me visions of some kid wearing all-black, holed up in his room talking to his internet friends and casting spells. It sounds weird and not someone I'd want sitting next to me in Torts or representing my school at a law firm.

I'm not saying you need to be cookie-cutter, but you do need to demonstrate some conformity. The schools want people with unique qualities, but they still need to blend in.

Most everyone in law school, from the students up to the professors, is or was a big ol' dork monster. From my experience this is particularly true at the upper tier schools. Some are good at hiding it and for some its very subtle but the population as a whole is nerds. The kids at the top of the class will generally be among the biggest nerd monsters.  Theres nothing wrong with this, but its the truth.

I never said anything was wrong with being a nerd. I said there was a problem with being the lone wolf outcast.

Quis Custodiet

• Omar Khayyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2007, 06:54:32 PM »

I never said anything was wrong with being a nerd. I said there was a problem with being the lone wolf outcast.

But would you automatically consider a PS using Magic the Gathering as the PS of  lone wolf outcast?  If the author used it as a social setting, focusing on the friend whom he played the game with, and included information--either in the PS or the rest of the application--would it still tilt you to lone wolf?

$Bill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2007, 06:56:11 PM »
I'd like to see a PS on overcoming an addiction to masturbation.  Its a similar subject :)

Quis Custodiet

• Omar Khayyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2007, 07:00:48 PM »
I'd like to see a PS on overcoming an addiction to masturbation.  Its a similar subject :)

Applying to Regent?

BearlyLegal

• And the greatest threat to America is... Bears!!!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Newjoetm
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2007, 08:05:18 PM »
Damn. I wrote about this. Am I in trouble?  ???

juliemccoy

• Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2007, 08:42:52 PM »

But would you automatically consider a PS using Magic the Gathering as the PS of  lone wolf outcast?  If the author used it as a social setting, focusing on the friend whom he played the game with, and included information--either in the PS or the rest of the application--would it still tilt you to lone wolf?

Remember who you are writing for. There are a handful of students who may get to participate, but your average admissions committee consists of professors. Academics. Wrte for your audience. Those professors probably remember some of the D&D drama in the early 80's. Gamers were blurring the line between reality and fantasy. Some people got hurt. I would feel the same about a topic like this if someone told me they planned to write about how much they love playing video games. What does that tell me about the person when everyone else is writing about community service, being a political refugee, growing up on the Reservation, helping pass legislation or a university policy, or contrasting their life growing up in a small town in Alaska and then spending their college years in the hub  of NYC? I appreciate trying to get away from the same old topics, but the person writing this PS would have to literally blow me away with their insight, maturity and likability to get around the common view perception that people who play games like these are normal integrated members of society. I have yet to read a PS on LSD, or in any book that truly does that for me, and even the OP has realized that the idea won't work.

« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2007, 09:18:24 PM »
Not to mention the OP has probably ditched this thread long ago, leaving us to pointlessly debate the merits of a PS topic that none of us would touch with a ten-foot pole (or wand, whichever).

« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2007, 01:19:50 AM »
Still here. Liking all the comments.

I'm actually deciding whether or not I'm even applying for Fall '08 or '09 so it's been a drag to finish the PS. I have drafted at least three versions so far. None of them good yet though because I've been playing with what people have said. So far, I'm having trouble figuring out the context. I have a very "unique" background so I just want to point out that when I do use MTG it will not be from a nerd/dork perspective. The main thing is that this is from the point of view of a non-American MTG player, I'm an immigrant as I've mentioned. Where I played MTG, it was far from being an insular activity enjoyed only by geeks. It was actually a popular hobby for everyone in my grade and the college community nearby, so as a 13 year old I was playing with college kids.

Thanks for everyone's input. And when I do have a draft that's worth sharing I will pm those that have expressed interest.