Law School Discussion

Magic the Gathering PS - Good Idea?

juliemccoy

• Treat??
    • View Profile
Re: Magic the Gathering PS - Good Idea?
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2007, 12:10:56 AM »
No. This is not a good idea.

The PS is a marketing exercise. You're trying to sell yourself to the school. They want students who will fit in, not out.

There's nothing wrong with an intellectual topic, like talking about how a classic book influenced your life. There's nothing wrong with having nerd hobbies like being a numismatist, if written properly. Football is great. I don't really understand how someone could write a PS about Justin Timberlake, but that's contemporary. Most people can relate.

Don't talk about your WOW or D&D or Magic the Gathering or Comic Book Collections. It just sounds weird and juvenile and makes you sound like an outcast.

Law schools are looking for diversity, but the kind that will mix well and help everyone to become more well-rounded. It's a good idea to try to step outside the box, but don't go so far out there that your reader can't relate to you.

I think you're on the right track to looking at things that make you unique, but this just gives me visions of some kid wearing all-black, holed up in his room talking to his internet friends and casting spells. It sounds weird and not someone I'd want sitting next to me in Torts or representing my school at a law firm.

I'm not saying you need to be cookie-cutter, but you do need to demonstrate some conformity. The schools want people with unique qualities, but they still need to blend in.

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2007, 08:19:26 AM »
Can I be both a geek and a nerd at the same time, or are they mutually exclusive. Is there a venn diagram to help me reference this?

You can certainly be both. I used to stand at about 60% geek and 40% nerd. Now I'm at about 90% nerd, 1% geek, and 9% awesome (times a thousand).

bloomlaw

• Welcome to the Monkey House
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2007, 02:12:04 PM »
I think it works as a backdrop and main topic... but others on here are right, for it to be a good ps, you have to show why you are a great applicant for their school while showing a personal side... could you illustrate any specific situations you had playing the game? like a big loss in a big tournament you played in, and how that affected you and how you responded to it, or the discipline required to play the game at a high level

just ideas.. also, i would try to show the reader that you were doing it at a mature age, not as a young kid... show that its something that still has a role in your life.

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2007, 02:38:28 PM »
I think it works as a backdrop and main topic... but others on here are right, for it to be a good ps, you have to show why you are a great applicant for their school while showing a personal side... could you illustrate any specific situations you had playing the game? like a big loss in a big tournament you played in, and how that affected you and how you responded to it, or the discipline required to play the game at a high level

just ideas.. also, i would try to show the reader that you were doing it at a mature age, not as a young kid... show that its something that still has a role in your life.

Beads of sweat formed under my double chin as I nervously eyed my opponent's Morphling. I had run out of options--my last counterspell was cast, none of my creatures could block the flying blue threat, and Wrath of God was buried deep in my deck. That's when I had an epiphany.

I realized that if I continue my life of getting mana-screwed out of tournaments, I may never get screwed in real life. So I decided to become a lawyer to make myself a more appealing mate in our sexually selective society.

The end.

Feel free to plagiarize--I already completed my essays, so I won't be using this.

BearlyLegal

• And the greatest threat to America is... Bears!!!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Newjoetm
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2007, 02:48:33 PM »

Beads of sweat formed under my double chin as I nervously eyed my opponent's Morphling. I had run out of options--my last counterspell was cast, none of my creatures could block the flying blue threat, and Wrath of God was buried deep in my deck. That's when I had an epiphany.

I realized that if I continue my life of getting mana-screwed out of tournaments, I may never get screwed in real life. So I decided to become a lawyer to make myself a more appealing mate in our sexually selective society.

The end.

Feel free to plagiarize--I already completed my essays, so I won't be using this.
That's a sad story, but think about it... had you stacked your deck with more lands, you wouldn't be going to law school today. Yay!

bloomlaw

• Welcome to the Monkey House
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2007, 04:01:18 PM »

The end.

lol... I was just trying to help!

credo

• This life's a game; let's play for larger stakes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2007, 02:29:30 PM »
That's a sad story, but think about it... had you stacked your deck with more lands, you wouldn't be going to law school today. Yay!

TITCR ha ha

credo

• This life's a game; let's play for larger stakes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2007, 02:41:42 PM »
No. This is not a good idea.

The PS is a marketing exercise. You're trying to sell yourself to the school. They want students who will fit in, not out.

There's nothing wrong with an intellectual topic, like talking about how a classic book influenced your life. There's nothing wrong with having nerd hobbies like being a numismatist, if written properly. Football is great. I don't really understand how someone could write a PS about Justin Timberlake, but that's contemporary. Most people can relate.

Don't talk about your WOW or D&D or Magic the Gathering or Comic Book Collections. It just sounds weird and juvenile and makes you sound like an outcast.

Law schools are looking for diversity, but the kind that will mix well and help everyone to become more well-rounded. It's a good idea to try to step outside the box, but don't go so far out there that your reader can't relate to you.

I think you're on the right track to looking at things that make you unique, but this just gives me visions of some kid wearing all-black, holed up in his room talking to his internet friends and casting spells. It sounds weird and not someone I'd want sitting next to me in Torts or representing my school at a law firm.

I'm not saying you need to be cookie-cutter, but you do need to demonstrate some conformity. The schools want people with unique qualities, but they still need to blend in.

Most everyone in law school, from the students up to the professors, is or was a big ol' dork monster. From my experience this is particularly true at the upper tier schools. Some are good at hiding it and for some its very subtle but the population as a whole is nerds. The kids at the top of the class will generally be among the biggest nerd monsters.  Theres nothing wrong with this, but its the truth.

$Bill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2007, 02:56:12 PM »
Once in my caf in hs two guys got into a slap fight over some card with a black flower over it, the teachers started to break it up, then realized what it was over, and totally forgot about it.  Send me a proofed copy and Ill really rip it apart for ya, i love original essays.

BearlyLegal

• And the greatest threat to America is... Bears!!!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Newjoetm
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2007, 03:04:14 PM »
Once in my caf in hs two guys got into a slap fight over some card with a black flower over it, the teachers started to break it up, then realized what it was over, and totally forgot about it.  Send me a proofed copy and Ill really rip it apart for ya, i love original essays.
LOL @ "some card with a black flower":

http://cgi.ebay.com/Black-Lotus-NM-M-Beta-ID-2721-Magic-Card-MTG_W0QQitemZ300165548203QQihZ020QQcategoryZ19115QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

I'd slap some high school kid for that kind of dough too!  :D