Law School Discussion

Magic the Gathering PS - Good Idea?

Magic the Gathering PS - Good Idea?
« on: December 07, 2007, 02:59:48 PM »
Hello All,

I've read from a few posts that it is better to have a PS and a DS rather than one combined. So, instead of writing a DS-like PS I decided to do a more creative route, my childhood hobby of card-playing inspired or at least highlights my qualifications as a law student. At the same time, I will be hinting at my personal life, being an immigrant etc., but I am highlighting most of my "skills" through how I played. I mean with cards like Eye for an Eye, Reprisal, Balance, Retribution of the Meek etc. it's easy to tie into legal issues.

I actually am excited to do this but I just want some feedback if this could severely hurt my chance of getting to any law school. My only concern is if somehow the reviewers stop reading as soon as they see Magic the Gathering on the page.

Any thoughts?

Thanks all.

Re: Magic the Gathering PS - Good Idea?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007, 03:06:49 PM »
i'm intrigued.

KD03

• ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 03:08:50 PM »
are you serious? Really? I mean, if you are serious please pm the draft and I will definitely give you some feedback

credo

• This life's a game; let's play for larger stakes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2007, 04:01:18 PM »
Hello All,

I've read from a few posts that it is better to have a PS and a DS rather than one combined. So, instead of writing a DS-like PS I decided to do a more creative route, my childhood hobby of card-playing inspired or at least highlights my qualifications as a law student. At the same time, I will be hinting at my personal life, being an immigrant etc., but I am highlighting most of my "skills" through how I played. I mean with cards like Eye for an Eye, Reprisal, Balance, Retribution of the Meek etc. it's easy to tie into legal issues.

I actually am excited to do this but I just want some feedback if this could severely hurt my chance of getting to any law school. My only concern is if somehow the reviewers stop reading as soon as they see Magic the Gathering on the page.

Any thoughts?

Thanks all.

That sounds amazing, they will have no idea what youre talking about, but I fully back this.

KD03

• ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007, 04:02:47 PM »
It would be unique could work if you do it right...

credo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2007, 04:03:51 PM »
i'm intrigued.

are you serious? Really? I mean, if you are serious please pm the draft and I will definitely give you some feedback

You ladies big Magic players?  Ive got a beta mox sapphire around here somewhere.

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2007, 04:09:22 PM »
If you do this can we read it?

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2007, 04:16:44 PM »
i'm intrigued.

You ladies big Magic players?  Ive got a beta mox sapphire around here somewhere.

No, what is a beta mox sapphire?  sounds dirty.

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2007, 04:33:50 PM »
Hello All,

Any thoughts?

Thanks all.

I actually considered something along these lines myself when I was brainstorming for my PS. I had quite the reputation as a "rules lawyer" in my local M:TG circle back in the day. But I think that in your personal statement, you want to avoid topics with such an adolescent feel. You need to talk about the factors that NOW qualify you for a legal education.

credo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2007, 04:41:43 PM »
i'm intrigued.

No, what is a beta mox sapphire?  sounds dirty.

Its totally my best card.  I could show you, but for you to really appreciate it Id have to use it on you.