Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UIUC ... what do you think?  (Read 5376 times)

Supervik

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: UIUC ... what do you think?
« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2007, 07:06:52 PM »
Purdue is an elite engineering school, top 10 in the country in the same league as Berkly, MIT, Georgia Tech etc....Indiana doesn't have that reputation in an "opposite" subject field......in any subject for that matter.

indiana_student

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2007, 08:26:06 PM »
If Purdue is this so elite why isn't it even ranked in the top 50 universities?  Why are their SAT scores the SAME as Indiana's?

Indiana is more of a liberal arts school than a heavy science school (although Indiana, not Purdue, has the medical school).  You know there are other majors than engineering right?

I hate to tell you this, but Purdue is far from an elite school.  I am sorry but an average incoming SAT score of 1145 is not 'elite'.  Obviously at the same time I am saying Indiana is far from an elite school because our average incoming SAT is only 1146.  Again, that is far from elite.  The SAT numbers alone should tell you there is very little difference between the two universities.  But somehow Purdue is 'elite'?

As far as engineering goes Purdue isn't even the best in the state, that honor goes to Rose-Hulman.  The ONLY elite school in the state is Notre Dame.

From a personal standpoint, the only two undergraduate schools I applied to were Indiana and Purdue, and I was accepted to both.  The main reason I chose Indiana is the fact that I wanted to major in accounting and finance, and Indiana's undergraduate business program is FAR superior to Purdue's school of management.  Also, the environment at Indiana is much better in my mind.

1145-1146 SAT scores, but yet one school is superior?  Neither school is even a top 50 school (I personally think only the top 25 or so schools are 'elite')

boilerguy84

• "I've got something to say..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2007, 10:14:42 PM »
If Purdue is this so elite why isn't it even ranked in the top 50 universities?  Why are their SAT scores the SAME as Indiana's?

Indiana is more of a liberal arts school than a heavy science school (although Indiana, not Purdue, has the medical school).  You know there are other majors than engineering right?

I hate to tell you this, but Purdue is far from an elite school.  I am sorry but an average incoming SAT score of 1145 is not 'elite'.  Obviously at the same time I am saying Indiana is far from an elite school because our average incoming SAT is only 1146.  Again, that is far from elite.  The SAT numbers alone should tell you there is very little difference between the two universities.  But somehow Purdue is 'elite'?

As far as engineering goes Purdue isn't even the best in the state, that honor goes to Rose-Hulman.  The ONLY elite school in the state is Notre Dame.

From a personal standpoint, the only two undergraduate schools I applied to were Indiana and Purdue, and I was accepted to both.  The main reason I chose Indiana is the fact that I wanted to major in accounting and finance, and Indiana's undergraduate business program is FAR superior to Purdue's school of management.  Also, the environment at Indiana is much better in my mind.

1145-1146 SAT scores, but yet one school is superior?  Neither school is even a top 50 school (I personally think only the top 25 or so schools are 'elite')

ok. you have no cred. rose doesn't hold a candle to purdue. rose is a wannabe. and it's not about entering student test scores. it's about the program rankings. i really don't care what a kid accomplished in high school.

notre dame?
"read a book."
Depaul '11

Supervik

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2007, 10:42:09 PM »

Rose Hulman doesnt even have  a graduate program, it ranks high in engineering schools only when you take away all schools that have a graduate program, it can't stand up to purdue in engineering.  Getting into engineering at Purdue is significantly harder than all other majors.  This 1145 number you keep touting is because of people who choose to go to purdue over indiana for a liberal arts major, I will still stand by my assertion that purdue is an elite engineering school.  Everything I will not stand by, Purdue hails itself as a technical school.......

MidwesternGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2007, 10:52:55 PM »
I never understood where Purdue gets off thinking it has an "elite" engineering school. Michigan and Illinois both have undisputed (especially U of I) top 10 undergraduate engineering in the country. Purdue usually matches up with Wisconsin, both who have what appears to be t15 engineering.

Whatever the issue, can ANY UIUC PERSON ANSWER MY ABOVE QUESTIONS? ;) kthx.

Supervik

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2007, 05:58:46 PM »
I never understood where Purdue gets off thinking it has an "elite" engineering school. Michigan and Illinois both have undisputed (especially U of I) top 10 undergraduate engineering in the country. Purdue usually matches up with Wisconsin, both who have what appears to be t15 engineering.

Whatever the issue, can ANY UIUC PERSON ANSWER MY ABOVE QUESTIONS? ;) kthx.

So t14 in law school is elite, but t14 in engineering school isn't?????   You keep trying to bring up arguments that I'm not even making.....UIUC and Michigan are better schools...no doubt.....but I've never asserted they weren't.  The original argument still holds, Indiana is not the best school in the state of indiana.....overall notre dame is better, and purdue is the best technical school.....indiana is a frat palace.....nothing more

indiana_student

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2007, 10:48:43 PM »
Whoever said IUB was the best school in Indiana (that is OBVIOUSLY Notre Dame)? 

I personally said Notre Dame is the only 'elite' university in the state (coming out of HS I got into both IU and Purdue, didn't even apply to ND as my numbers weren't good enough).  I just made exception to Indiana being called a community college.  Purdue isn't ahead far enough in the rankings or by incoming testing scores to act like it is a far superior school.

Indiana is just a frat school?  I was under the impression that Purdue's Greek system is just as large (haven't seen numbers, but heard that from my Purdue friends).

boilerguy84

• "I've got something to say..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2007, 01:51:33 PM »
Whoever said IUB was the best school in Indiana (that is OBVIOUSLY Notre Dame)? 

I personally said Notre Dame is the only 'elite' university in the state (coming out of HS I got into both IU and Purdue, didn't even apply to ND as my numbers weren't good enough).  I just made exception to Indiana being called a community college.  Purdue isn't ahead far enough in the rankings or by incoming testing scores to act like it is a far superior school.

Indiana is just a frat school?  I was under the impression that Purdue's Greek system is just as large (haven't seen numbers, but heard that from my Purdue friends).

It's bigger at Purdue. However, the school is also bigger. That said, it still isn't a prominent feaure of campus life at Purdue.
"read a book."
Depaul '11

stonejordan

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2007, 05:56:42 PM »
I went to UIUC for undergrad.  In fact, just graduated this last semester.  For someone who was from the suburbs of Chicago, I have to say that after maybe 2 years there, I was pretty sick of the area.  After 4.5 years there, I can't describe how much I needed to leave there.

In fact, despite being in state, I didn't even apply to the law school. 

A caveat though, I really do not like the small urban setting, which is what I would use to describe Urbana-Champaign.  Give me big urbana (Chicago) or suburban.  I was pretty bored there after a few years.  You can only go to the same few bars so many times. 

On the other hand, I had a lot of friends that were from the Chicago area that liked it in C-U.  However, the mutual feeling is that there is no way anyone of us could live there long term. 

Hope this helps.  PM me if you have any other questions.