Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UIUC ... what do you think?  (Read 5289 times)

K?

• Sr. Citizen
  • Do You Believe Her
    • View Profile
Re: UIUC ... what do you think?
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2007, 10:44:09 PM »
Let's hope so.  No macs, no me.
B < PL

notmikejones

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2007, 01:16:47 AM »
Actually people this year could use their mac's for finals too, they just had to install bootcamp and windows and boot it into windows, so as long as you have a newer mac with an intel chip in it... no problem at all.

TheMaddRapper

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2007, 01:28:35 AM »
What kind of Chicagoland opportunities does someone around median have?  I would assume you'd have to pass the bar first before getting hired, but are there good, legit jobs well over 50K/year for these folks?  I hear conflicting opinions about this from elsewhere.

I have no special talents or experience.  I want to do some form of litigation.  Will some halfway decent ID firm paying in the 70K neighborhood pick me up if I'm a mediocre student (below top third, above the very very bottom) at UIUC?

. . . . . .

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2007, 01:31:16 AM »
I have an instructor that spent three summers up there and he really liked it.

ExpLo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2007, 06:57:34 PM »
Congratulations!

MidwesternGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2007, 10:06:34 PM »
A few questions for the 3Ls (or any UIUC student)

1. What rank is necessary for Chicago biglaw? top 1/3 or bust?

2. What is someone at the median looking for? Midlaw Chicago?

3. What other schools were you considering before deciding on UI?

4. Get basketball tickets?

Any anecdotal evidence or links for the #1 and #2 would be really, really, really helpful. I'm worried about not being in the top third, perhaps the middle of the class, and being totally shut out of reasonably paying Chicago jobs.

indiana_student

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2007, 10:58:34 PM »
I can honestly say that UIUC (and Purdue) ahve the ugliest campuses I have ever seen.  The campuses and environments are TERRIBLE.  With that said, UIUC is a good school and has smart students.  I am still considering it for the class of 11, but the campus is TERRIBLE.

boilerguy84

• "I've got something to say..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2007, 01:25:05 AM »
I can honestly say that UIUC (and Purdue) ahve the ugliest campuses I have ever seen.  The campuses and environments are TERRIBLE.  With that said, UIUC is a good school and has smart students.  I am still considering it for the class of 11, but the campus is TERRIBLE.

the uiuc campus is hideous. but i will take any comment about purdue from an indiana student with a grain of salt. oh, and IU is pretty much a community college.
"read a book."
Depaul '11

indiana_student

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2007, 02:02:04 AM »

So, if Indiana is a community college, what does that make Purdue?  Purdue is a good school, but to act like it is an elite school is RIDICULOUS.  From the Indianapolis Star: 

"Indianapolis Star, Aug. 31 -- Purdue University admitted fewer students this year, an incoming class that scored higher SAT scores than its freshmen last year. The university didn't see the same dramatic increase in caliber of its freshmen that Indiana University did this week but said it was nonetheless pleased with the overall upward trend. The average SAT score of incoming freshmen at Purdue increased by three points to 1,145 on math and reading, a respectable gain eclipsed by IU's 25-point leap to 1,146 this year. Both schools reported a record-high number of applications and higher rate of rejection as a result."
the uiuc campus is hideous. but i will take any comment about purdue from an indiana student with a grain of salt. oh, and IU is pretty much a community college."

Indiana actually announced their numbers a day before Purdue, so it wasn't a case of funny math. 

You know for a FACT, that the Purdue campus doesn't come close to the Indiana campus.  I made my statement because the Purdue campus is pretty similar to the Illinois campus (though I must admit the Illinois campus is worse).  I respect Purdue as an institution, and think the two schools are very compatible.  The two school strengths are in opposite subject matters.  Purdue people like to think they are an elite public university and that is FAR from the case.

boilerguy84

• "I've got something to say..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2007, 06:54:01 PM »

So, if Indiana is a community college, what does that make Purdue?  Purdue is a good school, but to act like it is an elite school is RIDICULOUS.  From the Indianapolis Star: 

"Indianapolis Star, Aug. 31 -- Purdue University admitted fewer students this year, an incoming class that scored higher SAT scores than its freshmen last year. The university didn't see the same dramatic increase in caliber of its freshmen that Indiana University did this week but said it was nonetheless pleased with the overall upward trend. The average SAT score of incoming freshmen at Purdue increased by three points to 1,145 on math and reading, a respectable gain eclipsed by IU's 25-point leap to 1,146 this year. Both schools reported a record-high number of applications and higher rate of rejection as a result."
the uiuc campus is hideous. but i will take any comment about purdue from an indiana student with a grain of salt. oh, and IU is pretty much a community college."

Indiana actually announced their numbers a day before Purdue, so it wasn't a case of funny math. 

You know for a FACT, that the Purdue campus doesn't come close to the Indiana campus.  I made my statement because the Purdue campus is pretty similar to the Illinois campus (though I must admit the Illinois campus is worse).  I respect Purdue as an institution, and think the two schools are very compatible.  The two school strengths are in opposite subject matters.  Purdue people like to think they are an elite public university and that is FAR from the case.

actually, i can't stand IU's campus. it's not functional at all. granted, i think UI's is one of the biggest eyesores in the big ten. they have major roads everywhere, and are so spread out that you might as well drive to class. oh, and if the wind is blowing the wrong way.....the place smells like a toilet. IU's campus isnt' the gorgeous campus IU students make it out to be. it's ok. but nothing great.
"read a book."
Depaul '11