Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UIUC ... what do you think?  (Read 5343 times)

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: UIUC ... what do you think?
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2007, 12:58:16 PM »
I'm a UIUC 3L but I'll do my best to avoid trolling.

The general sentiments reflected above are pretty accurate.

The vast majority of our grads go into Chicago BigLaw/MediumLaw. After UChicago and NW, we place the most students in the Vault 100 firms within the city. That is a comforting stat for some, disconcerting for others.
We do place solid amounts of people in NYC, DC, LA, etc, firms, so it is not like you are geographically limited, but most of the people I know WANT to go to Chicago.

Champaign-Urbana is truly a Big-10 campus in the middle of soy/corn fields. I have never been bored in terms of my time down here, but I am also someone that enjoys the bars scene. Champaign is as trendy as a small town can be, so it is not all ugrad campus nonsense, but do not expect a highly sophisticated metropolis down here.
The upside to all of that is the incredibly low cost of living, esp when compared to a major city.

Air Force JAG Corps

ilsox7

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2007, 01:12:43 PM »
Chambana is the armpit of America.  :)

trizkutt

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2007, 02:49:04 PM »
It's a good school, but not a public ivy.

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2007, 04:58:20 PM »
It's a good school, but not a public ivy.

Are you the troll that has been arguing Wisco as a Public Ivy?

I find the entire Public Ivy classification absurd. You are either at a top school or not, regardless of what asinine athletic conference your school is affiliated with. Public Ivy just screams of "striver."
Air Force JAG Corps

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2007, 11:01:48 PM »
Trizkutt is a flame/idiot.

I kind of regret not applying to UIllinois.  I'm instate and want to work in Chicago.  When applying, I just couldn't imagine living in Champaign.  Don't get me wrong, I love visiting friends and getting drunk/hitting on 19 year old girls at Kam's and Station, but I don't think I could handle it for 3 years.  My current UG is in a bad enough town.

Only the shady among our law class go to the campus shitholes of Kams/COs/Station/etc with any regularity. Downtown Champaign attracts most of us the grad student type bars (Guidos, Blind Pig, Boltini, etc) and all the Urbana bars are generally devoid of undergrad life.

I can see why Chambana is not for some people. I was at a smaller Catholic ugrad so the Big-10 campus has some novelty to it. Thankfully law school has left me so devoid of free time I have never really had issues not enough to do.

In all, my time in Chambana has been great for law school. A lot of our class is staying down here for the summer bar prep class due to the lack of distractions/cost of living/etc.
I'd rather have a bullet in my head than permanently live down here though.

Air Force JAG Corps

sdakc

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2007, 11:05:50 PM »
I disagree with the above.  I'm graduating in a week from here, and I think this campus is totally what you make of it.  You're right in saying it's not the best campus, but there is so many positive aspects that many forget to mention.  On one board someone talked about the downtown life, and contrary to popular belief, there is more to do than go to the bars!  There are always shows at Assembly Hall or Krannert, and different things to do in the surrounding areas.  Also, Bloomington is only an hour away, and Chicago close enough for a weekend trip.  I don't know how much free time you'll have as a 1L anyway!  I like it here, and am considering staying next year!

RageLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2007, 11:29:52 PM »
I mean, I'll be 28 at time of matriculation.  I don't even know if they let people that old into Kam's.  I guess I was looking more for feedback in terms of the school, its programs, etc.  Anybody know anything about their Health Law curriculum?

K?

• Sr. Citizen
  • Do You Believe Her
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2007, 01:53:05 AM »
Champaign is a nice Big-10 college town, anyone who argues otherwise knows nothing.  As much as I'm forced as a UIowa student to troll against UI-UC, it's an awesome school with intelligent undergrads and grads and a beautiful campus.
B < PL

ilsox7

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2007, 02:10:04 AM »
Champaign is a nice Big-10 college town, anyone who argues otherwise knows nothing.  As much as I'm forced as a UIowa student to troll against UI-UC, it's an awesome school with intelligent undergrads and grads and a beautiful campus.

UIUC's campus may be one of the ugliest around.  Not trying to troll here, but you will find very few people who claim there is anything beautiful about Chambana.  It may be a great place for some people to go, but pretty it is not.

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2007, 02:20:03 AM »
I disagree with the above.  I'm graduating in a week from here, and I think this campus is totally what you make of it.  You're right in saying it's not the best campus, but there is so many positive aspects that many forget to mention.  On one board someone talked about the downtown life, and contrary to popular belief, there is more to do than go to the bars!  There are always shows at Assembly Hall or Krannert, and different things to do in the surrounding areas.  Also, Bloomington is only an hour away, and Chicago close enough for a weekend trip.  I don't know how much free time you'll have as a 1L anyway!  I like it here, and am considering staying next year!

I'm not sure why you are disagreeing with me in that I agree with your entire post.
Air Force JAG Corps