Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UIUC ... what do you think?  (Read 5349 times)

RageLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
UIUC ... what do you think?
« on: December 07, 2007, 03:52:22 PM »
Hey dudes,
Rager here.  Just got my first acceptance to Illinois (w/ $15K/yr)  and thought I'd pick everyone's brain as to their impressions and thoughts on the school because you all seem very intelligent and I love each and every one of you with all my ragin' heart. Fire away! (cue machine gun sounds)

1s2io72

• View Profile
Re: UIUC ... what do you think?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007, 04:09:11 PM »
when did the status checker say they had reached a decision?  says 'letter mailed' today.

for the school....they place a high percent in chicago with starting salaries around 125K.  that's a pretty solid salary if that is part of your decision making process.  i've only been to the campus one time; it was a 9.9/10 if i had to rate it.  nice and quiet, no traffic, looked like a nice place to study for a few years.

Last year the bar passage rate for IL schools taking IL bar went....1. Chicago, 2. Northwestertn, 3. Chicago-Kent, 4. UIUC.    I don't remember the percents.

RageLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 04:16:20 PM »
I'd like to end up in Chicago eventually so that's actually a pretty big boone for me.  Boon?  Boone?  Damn it.  I am not smart enough for law school.

RageLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2007, 04:21:05 PM »
Oh, and my status checker changed to letter, decision mailed on Tuesday and I got the letter today.

RageLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007, 04:31:26 PM »
It does well in Chicago BigLaw, but probably doesn't do well elsewhere (mostly because of self-selection surely).

Tons of my friends go there for UG.  They love it.  Lots of bars. Lots of restaurants.  That being said, the bars are 19 years old and up, so you might feel like the old person there.  Also, as far as restaurants go, don't expect much other than your standard fare of Chili's, Chipotle, Noodles etc.

Still, its a great school if one is set on working in Chi.

Yes, considering I'll be 28 at time of matriculation I would CERTAINLY be the old creepy guy at the bar.  I actually went to UG near there and am pretty familiar with the campus.  Pumped up about it ... I'll wait and see what the rest of my schools want with me and go from there I guess.

boilerguy84

• "I've got something to say..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2007, 05:43:37 PM »
It does well in Chicago BigLaw, but probably doesn't do well elsewhere (mostly because of self-selection surely).

Tons of my friends go there for UG.  They love it.  Lots of bars. Lots of restaurants.  That being said, the bars are 19 years old and up, so you might feel like the old person there.  Also, as far as restaurants go, don't expect much other than your standard fare of Chili's, Chipotle, Noodles etc.

i'm going to assume you don't go to an UG institution with a good college town. UI has an awful college town. it's about as boring as you can get at a Big Ten school.
"read a book."
Depaul '11

RageLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2007, 05:44:55 PM »

Yes, considering I'll be 28 at time of matriculation I would CERTAINLY be the old creepy guy at the bar.  I actually went to UG near there and am pretty familiar with the campus.  Pumped up about it ... I'll wait and see what the rest of my schools want with me and go from there I guess.

instate tuition at that schools would be great also.

Instate tuition?  Check.  Boo yah!

I can has lauskul!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2007, 08:55:08 PM »
I'd like to end up in Chicago eventually so that's actually a pretty big boone for me.  Boon?  Boone?  Damn it.  I am not smart enough for law school.

He's on the right  ;D

I can has lauskul!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2007, 08:57:45 PM »

He's on the right  ;D

Or, if you'd prefer...

RageLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2007, 12:41:39 AM »

He's on the right  ;D

Or, if you'd prefer...