Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: je suis fini!!!!  (Read 4331 times)

Ginatio

Re: je suis fini!!!!
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2004, 09:07:58 PM »
nah. i think he's right. "i am" is an oddity of english, i think, and is taken literally in other languages.

i remember whenever i would write a letter that was going to an associate in japan, my supervising attorney would point out all the little english informalities that make translaters in japan go  ???

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2004, 09:08:17 PM »
finally, I'm done.  15 applications.  (3 canadian/12 US) It's a good feeling!  I still might apply to UVic because Victoria is the most beautiful place ever but I'll have to do a little more research on the law program there.  Maybe I'll apply there if I get a bunch of rejection letters in december ;)

Which US schools are you applying to? I'm also a Canadian looking to possibly move south of the 49th.

Hey, I've applied to most of the top 14.  Anyways, if you are serious about going to a law school in the US, you better get going on it.  It's stupid how much work this whole thing actually is.  Honestly, it started back in May and finally finished today ... you would have no idea how much work and time I put into this. 

The problem is, a lot of canadians "talk" about going to law school in the US, but very few actually follow through with things.  So you're pretty much left to figure it out for yourself.  I'm actually pretty bitter about the whole thing haha.  It took me two days to apply for my 3 Canadian schools.  Maybe add a week on there to write a PS.  Anyways, like I said, be ready for a huge commitment if you're serious about going to the states...

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2004, 09:10:03 PM »
nah. i think he's right. "i am" is an oddity of english, i think, and is taken literally in other languages.

i remember whenever i would write a letter that was going to an associate in japan, my supervising attorney would point out all the little english informalities that make translaters in japan go  ???

I actually thought that may be the case.  French is so weird like that...all these little technicalities that they catch you on  >:(

Question

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2004, 09:13:49 PM »
Languages don't necessarily translate directly...  If you said "je suis fini" at the end of an LSAT, people would think you were trying to convey the idea that you did very poorly and that you'd never get into Law School.

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2004, 09:17:02 PM »
i actually finished my writing sample with it ... damn

Question

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2004, 09:22:40 PM »
It's alright, the readers will likely be anglophones that thinks it's right anyway...  They'd probably have penalized you for using "J'ai"  ;)

McBeer

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2004, 10:23:41 PM »
finally, I'm done.  15 applications.  (3 canadian/12 US) It's a good feeling!  I still might apply to UVic because Victoria is the most beautiful place ever but I'll have to do a little more research on the law program there.  Maybe I'll apply there if I get a bunch of rejection letters in december ;)

Which US schools are you applying to? I'm also a Canadian looking to possibly move south of the 49th.

Hey, I've applied to most of the top 14.  Anyways, if you are serious about going to a law school in the US, you better get going on it.  It's stupid how much work this whole thing actually is.  Honestly, it started back in May and finally finished today ... you would have no idea how much work and time I put into this. 

The problem is, a lot of canadians "talk" about going to law school in the US, but very few actually follow through with things.  So you're pretty much left to figure it out for yourself.  I'm actually pretty bitter about the whole thing haha.  It took me two days to apply for my 3 Canadian schools.  Maybe add a week on there to write a PS.  Anyways, like I said, be ready for a huge commitment if you're serious about going to the states...

To be honest, I haven't even written my LSAT yet and won't be until December.

I have been in contact with BU, BC, Northeastern (and Harvard for shits and giggles) when I was in the Boston area this summer, and I realize what sorts of things I have to do to get my app in on time, such as securing finances. I am basically finished my finals in the first week of December (right after my LSAT, conveniently) so I figure I can probably bang off a couple of essays and personalized personal statements in those few weeks. I'll miss the early application deadlines, but I don't think that my numbers (3.7 GPA and hoping for low-mid 160s LSAT) would be so good that I would be offered a spot early anyways.

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2004, 10:28:24 PM »
hahah ...

I guarantee that if you start after your finals you won't be going to school in the US.  You have to have your transcripts processed by LSAC, Rec's processed by LSAC, Dean's forms filled out ... and everything takes way longer because you're an international applicant.

In fact, I would think starting now for next year would be tough.  Writing essays and filling out applications is the easy and fun part.  It's all the other stuff that takes up time.

McBeer

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2004, 10:35:05 PM »
hahah ...

I guarantee that if you start after your finals you won't be going to school in the US.  You have to have your transcripts processed by LSAC, Rec's processed by LSAC, Dean's forms filled out ... and everything takes way longer because you're an international applicant.

In fact, I would think starting now for next year would be tough.  Writing essays and filling out applications is the easy and fun part.  It's all the other stuff that takes up time.

No, I'm pretty sure it won't take that long. My stuff won't be processed by LSDAS because my undergrad university (Brandon University) is not LSDAS approved. What this means is that I can just send my entire file to each school as I go rather than have to go through LSDAS. It's sort of a pain in the ass as I have to ask my profs for 10 letters of recommendation, but on the upside I get to cut down on a whole lot of red tape.

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2004, 10:38:46 PM »
well ... that's one thing taken care of ...

Make sure that you call the schools you're applying too.  Someone who worked in a top 20 admission office said they auto-rejected a canadian applicant because there undergrad wasn't lsdas approved. 

good luck