Law School Discussion

"If you admit me, I'll come"

"If you admit me, I'll come"
« on: December 07, 2007, 12:07:37 PM »
Here's my situation. Thanks for any advice you experts can offer.

I would really love to go to William & Mary, because they have a program that's right up my alley. My numbers are very average (3.4 from top school, conservatively projecting a 160 or 162 on Dec LSAT from my practice tests) but I have 2 years of interesting work experience, did mad ECs in college, and my essays have gotten high marks from my readers.

I missed the ED deadline, so my dilleama is this: should I explicitly tell the W & M adcomms that if they admit me, i'll come? I know schools worry about yield protection, after all.

I'm already planning to answer the question "why W & M" in my application, by the way. That won't be hard, because my interest is very genuine. But should I very explicitly say "if you accept me, i'll come?"  - thats my question.

non parata est

• buh??
    • View Profile
Re: "If you admit me, I'll come"
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007, 12:10:17 PM »
"if you accept me, i'll come?"  - thats my question.

Wow, that is explicit.  :o

Ding me I dare ya!

• Yatta!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 12:14:35 PM »
i think its a good idea to write a why W&M esp cuz you seem like you have something worth to say.  As for explicitly stating "If you admit me, I'll come" I think thats a bad idea.  express that W&M is your first choice for such and such reasons.  anything more than that may come off like you're begging and unprofessional. you know what i mean?

but regardless good luck! and i hope you get in to your number one!!

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2007, 12:22:24 PM »
You should ask someone who knows something at least like a pre-law adviser or an adcom, because nobody here knows and you'll just get poor advice.  My poor advice would be, that if you said "W&M is my first choice for law school and if I am admitted I will attend", it may very very very slightly help. 

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007, 12:29:01 PM »

There's a lot of bad information on this board, but a lot of pre-law advisers know even less.  Some of the people here have applied to law school recently and are currently in law school, so the anecdotal success stories based on personal experiences can be more helpful than the prelaw adviser's comments based on nothing.

If you are an otherwise reasonably attractive candidate, it will be helpful but it certainly isn't an ace card.  If you are a very strong candidate, it could hurt your chances for scholarships.  The formulation from "MajorMajorMajor" is a good one to use.

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2007, 12:33:32 PM »
You should ask someone who knows something at least like a pre-law adviser or an adcom, because nobody here knows and you'll just get poor advice. 

Haha, this is the second board-disparaging post of yours i have read in the last three minutes.

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2007, 12:38:16 PM »
You should ask someone who knows something at least like a pre-law adviser or an adcom, because nobody here knows and you'll just get poor advice. 

Haha, this is the second board-disparaging post of yours i have read in the last three minutes.

Well, if the shoe fits.  No, seriously though, there is a lot of great advice around here.  It just seems like in every thread there is at least one person speaking authoritatively about something which is just pure conjecture on their part.   

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2007, 12:40:35 PM »
I overheard an admissions officer talking at lunch today at the place I like to eat.  I hope that makes me an expert.

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2007, 12:48:47 PM »

Well, if the shoe fits.  No, seriously though, there is a lot of great advice around here.  It just seems like in every thread there is at least one person speaking authoritatively about something which is just pure conjecture on their part.   

i agree, but i think when people post here, they understand that nobody is really an expert.  the idea - for me at least - is to get an array of opinions, which you can then apply to your own situation.

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2007, 01:01:40 PM »

i agree, but i think when people post here, they understand that nobody is really an expert.  the idea - for me at least - is to get an array of opinions, which you can then apply to your own situation.

TITCR (i've always wanted to say this and what a perfect opportunity!)