Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Possibility of transfering  (Read 801 times)

MajorMajorMajorMajor

• View Profile
Re: Possibility of transfering
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2007, 02:48:03 PM »
So basically it is only possible to go from T3 to T2 if you kick ass in law school but even then it is still not guaranteed that you will be able to get into another school?   :-\

Any sugesstions on good TTT schools?

No, I wouldn't say top half is "kicking ass".  It's doing well, but it's not top 5-10% either.  A good Third Tier is one which is regionally well respected and doesn't compete with a lot of higher tier grads in the region.  Off the top of my head I'd say Michigan State and St. Thomas are both good because they seem to be quite generous with money, are still fairly well respected and have relatively large local markets that don't get a ton of competition from higher tiers. That or a good state school that places well in its region.  You should never be spending 35,000 to go Third Tier.  That's a recipe for disaster.   

need advice 123

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2007, 02:55:24 PM »
So basically it is only possible to go from T3 to T2 if you kick ass in law school but even then it is still not guaranteed that you will be able to get into another school?   :-\

TTT is a xoxo term.  To some CCN is TTT because it's lower than HYS.  So be more specific of what you condier not great school.

I apologize I thought TTT=T3 but I just noticed that it means something else. 

need advice 123

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2007, 02:57:40 PM »

No, I wouldn't say top half is "kicking ass".  It's doing well, but it's not top 5-10% either.  A good Third Tier is one which is regionally well respected and doesn't compete with a lot of higher tier grads in the region.  Off the top of my head I'd say Michigan State and St. Thomas are both good because they seem to be quite generous with money, are still fairly well respected and have relatively large local markets that don't get a ton of competition from higher tiers. That or a good state school that places well in its region.  You should never be spending 35,000 to go Third Tier.  That's a recipe for disaster.   

Thanks, I appreciate the advice.  I will certainly look into those schools.  You mentioned that $35000 at a T3 is a recipe for disaster, how so?

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2007, 02:59:58 PM »

Thanks, I appreciate the advice.  I will certainly look into those schools.  You mentioned that $35000 at a T3 is a recipe for disaster, how so?

I'd imagine it's because you're not really getting a good cost/benefit payoff in terms of super-high paying job prospects.  Right?
* Columbia Law, Class of 2011 *

LSN

cu_ray

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2007, 03:09:53 PM »
OP try to go to a school you would be happy to attend and graduate from which has good job prospects and is well respected in the Law community. If you have the opportunity to transfer, then do so, if not at least you won't be in a hopeless situation.

If you know where you would like to work in the future, you may want to go to a well regarded school in that region (even if it has a low USNWR ranking) that has good job contacts in the area.

If you are doubting if law is for you, make sure to take a look at this article: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB119040786780835602.html

Columbia Law 2009

MajorMajorMajorMajor

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2007, 03:10:59 PM »

Well, because you're piling on a lot of debt for somewhat bleak job prospects if you don't do really well.  So you could be looking at 150k of debt with no job.  That's not good.  Also, with third tier schools be very aware that many have scholarship restrictions that are harsh as well as grading curves that are extremely unforgiving.  Make sure you always know about the grading curve at a school and the attrition rate.  Oh yeah, and the "median salary" statistics at almost every school are lies.  Don't trust them.  So to summarize, look for schools that have a decent local market, aren't competing with a lot of higher tier grads in their region and that are a.) state schools or b.)don't place harsh restrictions on scholarships and don't force a lot of students out through an extreme curve.  You might want to just start a new thread about third tier schools because I'm sure there are some people here who have already done the research and know a lot more about which schools are good and bad.