Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Possibility of transfering  (Read 772 times)

need advice 123

• View Profile
Possibility of transfering
« on: December 07, 2007, 12:44:45 PM »
I was just wondering what the realistic possibilties are of transfering from a TTT to a 50-100 school are.  I just took the LSAT for the second time and I dont feel very confident about the outcome.  I know I did better than the first time but I am still not sure if I have done well enough to get into any of the schools I want to go to.  I am pretty sure I could get into a good TTT but I would ultimately like to end up at one of my first choice schools. 

Any suggestions on good TTT schools?

Ilovecheese

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Possibility of transfering
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007, 12:48:10 PM »
The possibility of transfer is always there, but it' gonna be damn hard.  For one you'll have to be in the top 1% - 10% of your class.  Playing the percentile game in very difficult as lower ranked schools do not have stupid people, they just have people who didn't do well on the LSAT, thus the competitiveness of T2 schools is insane. 

gclemen1

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 12:53:10 PM »
TCR is don't bet the farm on it

cu_ray

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2007, 01:01:01 PM »
I transferred from a low T1 school to CLS, and it's not easy. The basic rule of thumb is how far you're trying to transfer will correlate to where you are in the class. For example, if you want to go from UF to Harvard, you will probably need to be within the top 10 people in the class. But usually, for most schools, it's a safe bet that you need to be within the top 10% to be able to transfer.

One piece of advice I'll give you is not to go into school thinking you'll transfer because Cheese is right, people in school aren't dumb, and a lot of people in your class will be trying to transfer.

Good luck to you, and this site may be of use to you: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transferapps
Columbia Law 2009

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007, 01:08:42 PM »
by transferring, you also lose a lot of the faculty relationships you've built, and i'm not sure what it does to your chances of getting on the law review.  cu_ray, do you have any insight on this?

i imagine with a big enough jump in schools, none of these things matter, but it's something to think about if you'd be transferring outside of the T14 or T25.
* Columbia Law, Class of 2011 *

LSN

cu_ray

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2007, 01:21:39 PM »
I really should be studying instead of being on this board... ha ha.

But you will lose faculty relationships that you've built, especially with small section professors. Also, professors aren't too happy to see you leave (a school pride thing). For the law review, it's harder to get on, but it's doable, many schools like HLS and CLS require you to enter the writing competition sometime around May (during finals) prior to applying to the schools. But if you're trying to get onto another journal, or applying to GULC (which has its own transfer writing competition for all journals in June/July) then you'll probably get on because the writing competition is later (after acceptance for CLS, and during orientation for NYU).
Columbia Law 2009

MajorMajorMajorMajor

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2007, 02:16:02 PM »
Did anyone read OP?  Clearly stated, not trying to transfer to CLS or a top five or something, but a T2.  Certainly OP should try to get T14 if in top 10% of class.  I swear the advice around here is relentless toward T14 or die.  OP check out this site and look at the database they have http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transferapps/.  That should give you an idea.  Depending on the school, if you're just trying to go from third tier to second, you'd probably only need top 25-50% of the class.  It's definitely doable and realistic, but like another poster said don't bet the farm on it.  Definitely still send out apps this cycle, but if you really don't like any school you get into, I'd recommend retaking yet again and doing something really meaningful with the extra year like Americorps.  Law school will always be there.     

need advice 123

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2007, 02:18:02 PM »
So basically it is only possible to go from T3 to T2 if you kick ass in law school but even then it is still not guaranteed that you will be able to get into another school?   :-\

Any sugesstions on good TTT schools?

Ilovecheese

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2007, 02:43:42 PM »
So basically it is only possible to go from T3 to T2 if you kick ass in law school but even then it is still not guaranteed that you will be able to get into another school?   :-\

TTT is a xoxo term.  To some CCN is TTT because it's lower than HYS.  So be more specific of what you condier not great school.

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2007, 02:45:17 PM »
So basically it is only possible to go from T3 to T2 if you kick ass in law school but even then it is still not guaranteed that you will be able to get into another school?   :-\

TTT is a xoxo term.  To some CCN is TTT because it's lower than HYS.  So be more specific of what you condier not great school.

agreed.  especially if you're planning on going to a school in T3 or T4, it's not good for the spirit to slip into that kind of unwarranted elitism.
* Columbia Law, Class of 2011 *

LSN