Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Any differences? University of Waterloo and University of Toronto?  (Read 4028 times)

penelopec

• View Profile
I am currently studying Economics at University of Waterloo, and planning to apply top law school in the states.

Some people said, I may need to think of transferring to University of Toronto due to its ranking, which is higher than U of W.

Is that true? ??? ??? ???

Will I have more chance if I graduate from University of Toronto.

I guess my GPA will slightly go down if I go there.

TeresaPinfold

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Any differences? University of Waterloo and University of Toronto?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007, 02:36:17 AM »
No

nerfco

• Sr. Citizen
  • U.Chi '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 11:15:03 AM »
Doubtful schools down here will care much, if at all.

ewiar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 01:58:11 PM »
No. I've been accepted everywhere I've applied so far (including HLS) coming from Laurier (you know: the high school down the street from you guys...). If WLU isn't a handicap, surely UW won't be either.
LSAT: 178
GPA: 3.95
(Canadian)

nerfco

• Sr. Citizen
  • U.Chi '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 01:30:39 AM »
No. I've been accepted everywhere I've applied so far (including HLS) coming from Laurier (you know: the high school down the street from you guys...). If WLU isn't a handicap, surely UW won't be either.

This story would mean a lot more if your numbers weren't 3.95/178.

It isn't as if your numbers were near borderline for HLS anyhow...

ewiar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 02:16:23 AM »
Appreciate the (somewhat backhanded) compliment nerfco :P, but I think it's relevant to some degree. For one thing, my numbers wouldn't be 3.94/178 if I was at U of T (or, hell, even at Queen's), they'd probably be more like 3.8 or 3.7/178.

Second, I think the difference in quality and prestige (however measured) between WLU and UW is far greater than that between UW and U of T. As far as American schools are concerned, WLU might as well be Bob and Doug's School of Igloo Repair. They'll probably have heard of UW (particularly those schools with good IP programs), and they'll probably have heard of U of T. But I sincerely doubt they'll know the difference.

In any case, just my two cents, based on my own -- obviously limited -- experience. Nerfco's point is certainly a valid one though, so discount accordingly.
(Canadian)

nerfco

• Sr. Citizen
  • U.Chi '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2007, 11:23:43 PM »
I'm certainly not attempting to take away from your acceptance in any way, it is simply that last year on LSN, all 44 applicants with 3.8+ / 176+ were accepted to HLS. Thus, it is hard to say how much they knocked off your numbers based on some lack of prestige of undergrad, since at numbers worse than yours, they still accept everyone who applies.

In any case, congrats on HLS, and anywhere else you may get in. (A less backhanded compliment? :P)

ewiar

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2007, 10:38:06 AM »
Haha... no worries, I knew what you meant. Thanks.
(Canadian)

Traumerei

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2008, 11:47:17 PM »
Honestly, I think within Canada, given that pretty much all schools are decent, you're really not going to find a difference. I'm at McGill and I pretty much wish I went to Laurier...where my GPA would have probably been higher (and I wouldn't have been paying any tuition, because of scholarships from HS). I'd stay with wherever you can manage a better GPA.