Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I. am. so. stupid.  (Read 1963 times)

JMFM2011

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I. am. so. stupid.
« on: December 06, 2007, 06:42:10 PM »
So I accidentally applied ED to a school that I intended to apply RD to.

I got an email today asking for my ED contract, and (as I am sure you can imagine) I proceeded to have a heart attack.

Now that I am sufficiently aware of how dumb I actually must be, am I totally screwed?  I wrote a letter to the school and overnighted it explaining my error.  I am just hoping they wil be nice and add me to the RD pile.  Anybody have experience with a dumb move like this? 

I am now accepting sympathy posts and anecdotal tales of what happens now.

luke

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: I. am. so. stupid.
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 06:45:45 PM »
oh dear.  sorry.  have a martini.

(and give some thought to withdrawing your app)

qt314

• Sr. Citizen
  • pi = 3.14, k?
    • View Profile
    • bluewords
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 06:52:45 PM »
wow. wait. so now you're going to have to write and explain how, in fact, you DON'T really want them that much?  :o

i actually think it'll be fine. in all honesty, if the admissions office is writing to ask for your ED contract, your app probably didn't go into review yet. the people who will know about your mistake are the data entry people who will just file your app under the appropriate label. and when it gets around to review, the adcomms will notice you're RD, and discuss your app as usual.

you'll be fine.
NYU Class of 2011!

JMFM2011

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 06:53:04 PM »
Thanks, Luke.  I've considered withdrawing it already but I am going to give it a few days and see if they respond to my letter.  Now I am paranoid and I am going to go open the other 18 applications I sent to make sure I didn't sign up for any other ED programs.  :-\

I guess my other option is to go ahead with the ED.  I was pretty skeptical about getting in to this particular school, so maybe they'll just go ahead and defer me anyway!

And Borders, you have no idea how awkward writing that letter was.  I feel like I was asking my boyfriend if we could maybe still go out, but not be exclusive anymore because, you know, there might be something better.  But you know, he could still ask me to marry him one day.  I just might not say yes.

Kevin.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 07:26:17 PM »
Well, you've got three choices - either go ahead with ED, call them and say you made a mistake (which isn't really that big of a deal) to change it to RD, or withdraw your app entirely.  The third seems like a counterproductive option, so let's say you really have 2 choices.

Theoretically, if you were to get into every school to which you applied, would you definitely go to the school in question?  If yes, then keep the ED!  If there would be moderate to significant doubt, then just fix your mistake - don't think you're the first person whoever checked the wrong box on a law school application.
Vandy Law 2011

luke

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2007, 07:41:22 PM »
Theoretically, if you were to get into every school to which you applied, would you definitely go to the school in question?  If yes, then keep the ED! 

not quite.  there's the issue of money:  ED means no $$ options elsewhere.

Kevin.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2007, 07:43:04 PM »
Theoretically, if you were to get into every school to which you applied, would you definitely go to the school in question?  If yes, then keep the ED! 

not quite.  there's the issue of money:  ED means no $$ options elsewhere.

I assume that would factor into anyone's decision, but perhaps the school is high enough on the OP's list that it would outweigh potential scholarships at other schools, but I should have made it clear that that should be a factor in the decision of whether or not to keep the ED.
Vandy Law 2011

DECONda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2007, 09:24:17 PM »
Some of the schools have had issues with the new way LSAC fills in the forms. When I talked to the UT Admissions office they told me they had reports from students that that sometimes a checked ED box would be rendered as a checked RD box.

Call the admissions office.

rtqw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Jim Tressel drinks wine coolers
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2007, 01:24:18 AM »
wtf?

Why is withdrawing your application a consideration? Is there some fate worse than rejection I haven't heard about? I would be surprised if the fact that you checked the wrong box has any impact on your decision at all. They're not going to be offended that you, like most of the application pool, don't wish to apply ED.

And changing to ED to try to conceal your mistake? Come on - this is too important to (possibly) determine the school you attend based on a mischecked check box.
University of Michigan Law School, Class of 2010
LSN

Matthew

• Sr. Citizen
  • Formerly known as /\_-=-M-=-_/\
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2007, 01:27:15 AM »
wtf?

Why is withdrawing your application a consideration? Is there some fate worse than rejection I haven't heard about? I would be surprised if the fact that you checked the wrong box has any impact on your decision at all. They're not going to be offended that you, like most of the application pool, don't wish to apply ED.

And changing to ED to try to conceal your mistake? Come on - this is too important to (possibly) determine the school you attend based on a mischecked check box.

TITCR.

Everything will be fine.  Do NOT apply ED.
Cycle finally finished!

170/3.82
Accepted: Michigan($$), UCLA, Virginia($$), Duke($$), Georgetown, Vanderbilt($$$), Notre Dame($$$), William & Mary($$$)
Deferred: Northwestern
Waitlisted: Penn ($$)
Rejected: Yale, Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, NYU, Chicago