Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I need your help!! What are your thoughts?  (Read 630 times)

I need your help!! What are your thoughts?
« on: December 06, 2007, 01:25:58 PM »
So i received a call from Southwestern law school yesterday.  They are one of my top choices.  They said that they really liked my file and see a lot of potential in me.  They said that my g.p.a is fine but my lsat is a bit low.  They stated that if I could score a few points higher, that they could almost promise me scholarship money.  What are your thoughts? Should I take the feb test?  Do i have enough time to get prepared? 

p.s. I thought it was really nice of them to call...Most schools wouldn't have even wasted there time.

indyguy7484

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: I need your help!! What are your thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 01:28:46 PM »
I think you should definitely retake.  At worst you score around the same as you did before, but at least you've demonstrated your level of interest in the school.  More likely, you can use the upcoming months to gain a few points and attend your top choice with scholarship.

Billy Mays here FOREVER!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 01:34:04 PM »
I'd say retake too. You have pretty much nothing to lose and quite a bit of money to gain. If you bust ass in Jan. studying you should be able to raise your score by a few points.

Kevin.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 01:39:02 PM »
It sounds like a win/win to me, because it seems like they would accept you with your current numbers, but might be able to accept you AND give you money if your LSAT were a bit higher.  You certainly have enough time to prep, especially considering that you're already familiar with the format of the test.
Vandy Law 2011

JeNeSaisLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 01:39:17 PM »
What were you scoring before the real test on practice tests? What did you score on the real day? How much prep did you do? What kind?

I think these are important questions. If you scored above your prep scores, and maxed out much of the prep, then you may not be in for a gain...but if any of those are not the case, then it sure sounds like a shot worth taking. Good luck!
LSN
Vanderbilt Class of 2011

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2007, 02:03:53 PM »
it doesn't sound like you have anything to lose by retaking.  i agree with kevin - it sounds like they're already going to let you in, and would just like to give you the chance to get some $$.  Resume practice in January and go for it!
* Columbia Law, Class of 2011 *

LSN

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2007, 02:05:07 PM »
Let me note that I took the test dec 06, not the december that just passed.  Towards the end of my prep class, I was scoring 153-156's....I got a 149 on the test..I panicked a bit once I found out that logic games was the experimental...I did really well on the logic games but when I saw them again, I knew one was experimental, I  panicked.  I know I definately could have done better and felt I did bad on test day...

p.s I was accepted into denver university last year and am hoping to get in again this year...

hegemonyhog

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2007, 02:09:13 PM »
Take it again.  In the words of Michael Scott, it's a win-win-win. 
Accepted: Columbia, Chicago, Michigan, Virginia, Duke, Northwestern, Georgetown, Vanderbilt, The Ohio State University

Pending: Yale, Harvard

Please note that the schools are listed entirely in order of US News ranking.

LSN

JeNeSaisLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2007, 02:11:36 PM »
Definitely take it again.
LSN
Vanderbilt Class of 2011

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2007, 02:11:52 PM »
She said that as of now, my g.p.a is fine but my lsat is a bit low.  She said it would definately improve my chances.  Do you feel that I have enough time to prep for the feb test?