Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: URMs at Cornell/ Columbia  (Read 6214 times)

daysofconfusion

• View Profile
Re: URMs at Cornell/ Columbia
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2008, 12:35:36 PM »
bump

tweety63

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2008, 03:53:30 PM »
If you guys go to law school numbers you see a whole bunch of minority students getting waitlisted at Columbia with like a 154 lsat score.  Dont know about anyone getting accepted though.  As for Cornell yep they like minorities because speaking from someone who went upstate before to dorm being different and cold is tough upstate.

makalika

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School USA Blog
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2008, 11:34:37 AM »
I think Columbia tries to get minority representation proportional to the level of representation in the general population.  So my GUESS is that, for example if 5% of the US is population of Who's, they'd loosely aim to hit 5% of Who's in the class.  So let's assume the class is 100 persons, so there would probably be an approximate goal for 5 Who's per class.  This means that out of the  pool of Who applicants, the top 5 to 10 will be admitted depending on estimated yield to offers.  You might see an array of LSAT and GPAs accepted, perhaps below the average for the school in general, in order to try and meet that goal of proportional representation of the minority group, but that range would be effected by the level of applicants they have to select from.  I hope that makes sense. 

(Sorry for the Dr. Seuss reference, I just saw Horton last week). 

assured1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2008, 02:40:56 PM »
I checked out lawschoolnumbers.com as well and it looks like Northwestern is pretty good with URM..I also thought Columbia was reasonable..
I like to use/view the URM factor as the deal finisher.  I am trying to polish all other admission factors, ie, LORs, Personal Statement, and LSAT (Can't do much about my messed up GPA).
Wish you the best. ANK.

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2008, 10:17:03 PM »
I checked out lawschoolnumbers.com as well and it looks like Northwestern is pretty good with URM..I also thought Columbia was reasonable..
I like to use/view the URM factor as the deal finisher.  I am trying to polish all other admission factors, ie, LORs, Personal Statement, and LSAT (Can't do much about my messed up GPA).
Wish you the best. ANK.
IMO, that's how it should be done. 
Columbia 3L

myfriendtoldmeimkeen

• View Profile
    • Why White People are so Smart
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2008, 04:50:17 PM »
How does Cornell look at URMs for admission?  Do we have any more of an advantage there than at other schools?  It's a place I really like, and was just wondering if anyone had any experience.

Whatever you do, don't worry about how Cornell looks at GPA, LSAT, essays, and LORS.
Pretending to be black all day errrrrrr day. Can't stop won't stop.