Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: former drug addict  (Read 1679 times)

just Trev

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
former drug addict
« on: December 05, 2007, 07:28:18 PM »

need some help here:  i used to be a hardcore drug addict, even up until a couple of years ago.  I've since turned my life around, and have a UGPA of 3.4 and an LSAT of 163.  i have a couple of misdemeanors as a result of my drug addiction which are a shoplifting charge 5 years ago, and a fraudulent check.  i was wondering if anyone knows how this might affect my admissions process and how i might tailor my application to express this/not express this.

just Trev

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: former drug addict
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 02:33:46 PM »

what are the chances, do you think, that recovering from something like intraveinous drug use will actually benefit my application?  possibly getting me into some reach schools?? 

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2007, 05:09:18 PM »
You will likely not be helped in your application.  You should approach the situation with extreme caution and address it in your personal statement as your difficult teenage years.

armyjag

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2007, 08:53:06 PM »
I would speculate that you will probably be admitted by a law school.

I have a feeling your bigger issue will be getting admitted by the bar of whatever state in which you want to practice.  You might want to feel out the state's board of examiners and see if you can get a vibe from them.  I imagine you'd hate to get through law school and then not be allowed to practice.
Proving there is redemption in this world...

Matthew

• Sr. Citizen
  • Formerly known as /\_-=-M-=-_/\
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2007, 08:57:46 PM »
well, I was in the same situation, although I quit about 6 years ago. I would say, be careful with what you say. Don't say you quit just 2 years ago but 5 years ago or else they'll think that you're still going to relapse. It's very risky, and I just mentioned it in passing rather than focusing on it. Yet, since you have some violations related to your drug use, you have no choice but to mention it and to make them understand that it's in your past, that you've overcome it, etc.

Good luck.

Terrible advice.  Whatever you've done, never ever ever lie on law school application.  The bar will be more likely to reject you for this than drug use.

But I concur with the last poter, you should contact the state bar examiner's office in the state you wish to practice.  You'll get better advice from them than you'd ever get on this board.  As for the app, be honest.  If you feel you can turn it into a positive on statements, do so, but if not, just disclose and move on.  If it's not addressed in statements, you'll still need to incude an addendum explaining your drug problem and that you're now clean.
Cycle finally finished!

170/3.82
Accepted: Michigan($$), UCLA, Virginia($$), Duke($$), Georgetown, Vanderbilt($$$), Notre Dame($$$), William & Mary($$$)
Deferred: Northwestern
Waitlisted: Penn ($$)
Rejected: Yale, Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, NYU, Chicago

logflume

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007, 07:58:21 PM »
I am a recovering alcoholic and I have been sober for over five years.  In my application, (and my numbers are much worse than yours), I am addressing this briefly in my PS and mainly in an addendum (the latter to explain why I was fired from a job and a low GPA...will point as evidence to all I've accomplished since I got sober to allay any fears). In my PS, I'm talking of the role that serving others plays in a 12-step program and how that has informed my decision to go to law school (i.e., to be of service to others). 

There are some who will judge you b/c of your past, but it can be spun as a positive I think.  Are you in 12-Step recovery?  Showing them that you are actively involved in your recovery is essential, to erase doubts.

the marauder

• Sr. Citizen
  • You've gone to the finest school alright
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2007, 10:12:04 PM »
If you can write a good PS showing how you really overcame the struggle, then I think it should be able to help you.  Make sure you express how it isn't going to negatively effect you anymore.
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=marauder

The lover who just walked out your door
Has taken all his blankets from the floor.
The carpet, too, is moving under you
And it's all over now, Baby Blue.

just Trev

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2007, 01:33:57 PM »
one of the big things that i think i am going to focus on in my PS is how my former drug problem equips me to deal with people's doubts/fears/complaints with the legal system, and to be an effective advocate for them.  i am fully recovered now, and i don't necessarily adhere to the idea that "once an addict, always an addict," so it should be pretty easy to point to things in my life that can show i've recovered.

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2007, 02:05:57 PM »
one of the big things that i think i am going to focus on in my PS is how my former drug problem equips me to deal with people's doubts/fears/complaints with the legal system, and to be an effective advocate for them.  i am fully recovered now, and i don't necessarily adhere to the idea that "once an addict, always an addict," so it should be pretty easy to point to things in my life that can show i've recovered.

Don't do that.

Ender Wiggin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2007, 02:11:59 PM »
I would think the check fraud will be a bigger issue than the drug use, but neither will be insignificant.  Definitely contact the bar association and talk to them about it.

LSN

Michigan Law Class of 2011