Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Splitters: Looks like it'll be a long cycle  (Read 818 times)

OnTheRoad

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Splitters: Looks like it'll be a long cycle
« on: December 05, 2007, 06:01:08 AM »
Or is it just me? Hoping to hear something by May.

allstarchuck

• View Profile
Re: Splitters: Looks like it'll be a long cycle
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 10:40:59 AM »
I hope the applications fairy waves her magic wand to make schools overlook a subpar gpa. i vacillate between optimism that fewer apps will make this a reality and deep anxiety that the numbers game won't change.

here's a question for those who might know: for schools that use an index number, is the number what defines your chances? do comparisons happen strictly within an index number, or is there more fluidity and cross-index number comparison?

i.e. would someone with a 4.4 index at columbia be compared primarily to others with that number. so a 3.1, 178  would go against a 173, 3.8 (also with a 4.4 index) instead of being compared to someone with a lower index, but with numbers more solidly at columbia's medians (say a 3.6, 171 with a 4.3 index). i think the former comparison would would improve a splitter's chances.

BearlyLegal

• LSD Obsessed
  • And the greatest threat to America is... Bears!!!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Newjoetm
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007, 10:45:09 AM »
Same for reverse splitters... :(

Kevin.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2007, 11:17:32 AM »
I figure the longer I don't hear anything, the better I chance I have of at least being waitlisted.  As long as it's not an automatic rejection, I'm happy for the time being.
Vandy Law 2011

Tetris

• Sr. Citizen
  • Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2007, 11:19:08 AM »
I'd prefer a rejection to a waitlist. How many people actually get off those anyway? It seems like a recipe for pathetic hope.
_______
.|E|R|S.

indyguy7484

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2007, 11:21:51 AM »
here's a question for those who might know: for schools that use an index number, is the number what defines your chances? do comparisons happen strictly within an index number, or is there more fluidity and cross-index number comparison?

I believe index numbers are used for ranking applications, so comparisons are made within groups with the same number.  What gives splitters hope is that most schools would take a 3.2/176 over a 3.8/170 if they have the same index number.

Kevin.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2007, 11:27:28 AM »
I believe index numbers are used for ranking applications, so comparisons are made within groups with the same number.  What gives splitters hope is that most schools would take a 3.2/176 over a 3.8/170 if they have the same index number.

In addition, I think index numbers are also used as rough thresholds for acceptance and rejection.  If you're above a certain index number, you're automatically accepted barring something on your app that would suggest you're a psychopath, and if you're below a certain number, you're almost certainly rejected barring something extraordinary on your application.
Vandy Law 2011

OnTheRoad

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2007, 11:27:22 PM »
I agree on the waitlist thing. I was going through old threads from last year, and people are talking about getting off WLs in june, july, and august. Nasty. I'll just take the rejection right before christmas, thanks.

Team Pam

• Sr. Citizen
  • "You know, I invented electricity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2007, 08:58:19 AM »
I'd prefer a rejection to a waitlist. How many people actually get off those anyway? It seems like a recipe for pathetic hope.

Last year, a lot of people (all with high GPAs) got off the HLS waitlist in May and June.  And in turn, a lot of people got off the Penn waitlist, particularly high LSAT-low GPA splitters.  It sucks to have to wait, but it's not hopeless by any stretch.

Good luck, everyone!
UPenn '10