Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Entertainment Law?  (Read 2809 times)

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
Re: Entertainment Law?
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2007, 08:58:36 PM »
Well I'm a Poli Sci major so as far as school gos, I don't have a background in entertainment. Besides school, what types of things would be good for a background in entertainment (sports or otherwise)? And MCB, would you say the location of the school makes a drastic difference? How so? Sorry for the endless questions  :P It's finals week so I gotta squeeze em all in while I have the time

I have no idea about the bolded.  However, this field is a lot about who you know and trying to hustle and make those contacts...if you want to do entertainment, what better places to hustle and meet people and form conections than NYC or LA?  While that wasn't the sole reason I chose CLS, it was a factor.

Don't sleep on Nashville either.  It's not just about country music!
true, but all of the big studios/affiliate offices and whatnot are in NYC or LA though.
Columbia 3L

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2007, 09:01:33 PM »
I agree w/ MCB. The location does and should matter.  I would think that you would have more contacts in NY, LA, Atlanta, or Miami as opposed to Alabama, NC, or Mississippi, for example.

Interning in the music industry after college would look good.  Once your in law school, I'd suggest joining the "Sports and Entertainment Law" organization on your campus.  

But entertainment law, I'm scared of you, homie. You're in for a straight hustle.  But then again, the whole field of law is.      
I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality...  I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word - -Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2007, 09:05:44 PM »
Well I'm a Poli Sci major so as far as school gos, I don't have a background in entertainment. Besides school, what types of things would be good for a background in entertainment (sports or otherwise)? And MCB, would you say the location of the school makes a drastic difference? How so? Sorry for the endless questions  :P It's finals week so I gotta squeeze em all in while I have the time

I have no idea about the bolded.  However, this field is a lot about who you know and trying to hustle and make those contacts...if you want to do entertainment, what better places to hustle and meet people and form conections than NYC or LA?  While that wasn't the sole reason I chose CLS, it was a factor.

true, but all of the big studios/affiliate offices and whatnot are in NYC or LA though.

But that's not where all the work is.  In some ways it's easier to make connections away from the big offices, who are only gonna deal with the big firms.  For example, we had a guy speak at our school who represented one small time musician who passed his name around and he gradually developed a portolio and now represents a bunch of people in the Detroit area, including Eminem.  Nashville has tons of musicians, and you don't have to be successful to need a lawyer.
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2007, 09:19:17 PM »

But that's not where all the work is.  In some ways it's easier to make connections away from the big offices, who are only gonna deal with the big firms.  For example, we had a guy speak at our school who represented one small time musician who passed his name around and he gradually developed a portolio and now represents a bunch of people in the Detroit area, including Eminem.  Nashville has tons of musicians, and you don't have to be successful to need a lawyer.

true, but that's where a lot of the work is.  i wish i did want to move to Cali, it'd be so much easier to break in than staying in NY, but i'm not moving all the way out there.

but yea...i'm not knocking Nashville or ATL.  but i don't think i want to represent people one on one anyway, i'd rather work for NBC or Sony or something like that.
Columbia 3L

The Fresh Prince

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2007, 03:56:56 PM »
i'd rather work for NBC or Sony or something like that.

What are the differences between this kind of job as opposed to one on one? I didn't even know this kind of arrangement existed...sounds interesting.
you're wrong. Also, your avatar and your name don't make any sense. Step your game up, son.

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2007, 05:06:42 PM »
i'd rather work for NBC or Sony or something like that.

What are the differences between this kind of job as opposed to one on one? I didn't even know this kind of arrangement existed...sounds interesting.

no clue...and of course that type of arrangement exists...all big companies like that have in house lawyers.
Columbia 3L

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2007, 01:14:16 PM »
Def Jam and Sony always have internships.  One of my boys in L.A is interning for def jam.  If your interested in sports law, I can forward you a list of over 100 internships at sports/marketing agencies.....

The Fresh Prince

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2007, 04:07:40 PM »
Def Jam and Sony always have internships.  One of my boys in L.A is interning for def jam.  If your interested in sports law, I can forward you a list of over 100 internships at sports/marketing agencies.....

I'd def. appreciate that man. As far as entertainment internships go, what kind of pre reqs does one need to qualify for these kind of jobs? Do they prefer business majors over ohter majors like social science?
you're wrong. Also, your avatar and your name don't make any sense. Step your game up, son.

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2007, 04:09:59 PM »
Most of my boys that are entertainment, really don't have any pre-requisites.  Some of them were in the music industry (making beats, or song writing) and went from there.  It's really about who you know.  I know several managers.  Once they signed a hot client, there came many more....I'll locate that list for you and p.m. it to you.