Law School Discussion

Number of new students

Number of new students
« on: December 04, 2007, 05:47:29 PM »
I've been reading this thing for a month or two.  Does anyone have a list of the number of admitted students for the entering class at each school?  I'm wondering how many people will be ahead of me for a top 20 or top 25 school.

I read something along the lines of the top 20 schools graduate 6500 students per year.  That seemed high to me.  Anyone know?

Re: Number of new students
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 05:49:19 PM »
After reading that, it's a bit unclear.  At the beginning of next semester how many 1L students will be attending class in the Top 20 or 25 law schools?  About 6,000?

rtqw

• Jim Tressel drinks wine coolers
    • View Profile
    • Email

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 05:54:06 PM »
thanks

Ding me I dare ya!

• Yatta!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2007, 11:50:27 PM »
oh my 1691 students in a class at Cooley how ever will they get a quality legal education ::)

I've been trying to figure out what drives people to dish out that much money to go to that kinda of a school
I mean if you didnt really make it in the whole getting into law school bit why does it make you think you'll make it in the legal profession? why not try something else?

Not trying to be an ass but just wondering if anyone here has heard any interesting stories about why people would do this...

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2007, 05:29:52 AM »
192 people at UChicago?  Wow, they just jumped more than a few spots in my book.

Conversely, over 500 people at Harvard . . . .  :o

University of Montana must be better than both Chicago and Harvard since it only has 83!

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2007, 09:29:20 AM »
192 people at UChicago?  Wow, they just jumped more than a few spots in my book.

HLS splits up its class into subgroups, much like HBS and HC do -- for that matter, much like HSWW does* -- which become kind of like your "class".  "It's very easy to make a big class feel small when you want it to be small," Toby Stock explained to me.  "It's a lot harder to make a small class feel large when you want it to be large -- when you need a school to be a certain size in order to sustain resources and departments."

(*I will be very impressed if somebody knows what I'm talking about with this acronym.)

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2007, 09:34:30 AM »
I've been reading this thing for a month or two.  Does anyone have a list of the number of admitted students for the entering class at each school?  I'm wondering how many people will be ahead of me for a top 20 or top 25 school.

I read something along the lines of the top 20 schools graduate 6500 students per year.  That seemed high to me.  Anyone know?

My uncle went to Cooley and started his own practice and makes over 300,000 a year...that might be a reason?

ps - I am aware he is probably an outlier from the rest of the pack there.

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2007, 10:05:24 AM »
oh my 1691 students in a class at Cooley how ever will they get a quality legal education ::)

I've been trying to figure out what drives people to dish out that much money to go to that kinda of a school
I mean if you didnt really make it in the whole getting into law school bit why does it make you think you'll make it in the legal profession? why not try something else?

Some people probably say the same thing about several of the schools you applied to.

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2007, 10:20:29 AM »

HLS splits up its class into subgroups, much like HBS and HC do -- for that matter, much like HSWW does* -- which become kind of like your "class".  "It's very easy to make a big class feel small when you want it to be small," Toby Stock explained to me.  "It's a lot harder to make a small class feel large when you want it to be large -- when you need a school to be a certain size in order to sustain resources and departments."

(*I will be very impressed if somebody knows what I'm talking about with this acronym.)

taking a shot in the dark: hogwarts school of witchcraft and wizardry?