Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Do all canadian law schools convert your Grade in to GPA??  (Read 1848 times)

uwofresh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Do all canadian law schools convert your Grade in to GPA??
« on: September 29, 2004, 12:49:32 PM »
I should've asked this long time ago..
Like I said before, UWO uses the percentage score, and not the GPA. (so basically you get a dean's honor if you get an accumulated percentage over 80%)

I was wondering if any of the schools actually take in your percentage average and evaluate you that way (which seems more fair, cause i mean come on..there's a clear difference between an 80% and 84%!!!)

and for the schools that convert it to GPA, do they actually consider that there's a significant difference between like 80%-84% or even how stupid it would be to give difference when you have like 89% instead of 90%??

Just wondering cause GPA system is pretty dumb.

long_gone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Do all canadian law schools convert your Grade in to GPA??
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2004, 02:16:35 PM »
a) There are school that evaluate in percentages.
b) If your score is converted to GPA, schools won't care whether your grades are all 80s or 84s.
No longer here.

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2004, 02:23:42 PM »
damn ... i just typed the longest response to this and it got erased

anyways, the GPA system is not 'dumb'.  From your post, it sounds like you don't really have a clear understanding of how it works.  GPA highlights consistancy rather than high grades ... so to say that its unfair is incorrect.  Also, schools know what they're looking at.  I wouldn't be concerned about getting screwed over if your average is say 84 and they're gonna think that you're the same as all the 80s.  That's only true for a single class.  If your average is 84 ... your GPA will be higher than an 80 average student.  unless both of you ONLY got those grades between 80-84 and nothing higher or lower.

Again, just think about it and i'm sure you'll see that GPA does in fact make sense. 

long_gone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2004, 02:33:04 PM »
It makes sense, but it is not fair.  The cutoff between an 89 and a 90, for example, is super arbitrary.  I can't even begin to count how many 89s I have which are certainly closer to a 90 (4.3 in many schools) than to an 85 (4.0).  So yes, it is in fact unfair.
No longer here.

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2004, 03:46:20 PM »
well, at UofT most profs. normally turn 89's into 90's ... so you get either 88 or 90.

Anyway, I think its fair.  GPA, like I said, awards consistancy, and if you view it in that light, it gives an accurate picture of a student's record.  Also, some schools use 4.3 and 4.0 scales, but these GPA are easily converted.  If you apply to a school that uses a 4.3 scale, from a school that uses a 4.0 scale, the 4.3 scaled school will obviously convert your GPA.  You can't compare the two ... it makes no sense at all.

long_gone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2004, 05:26:39 PM »
well, at UofT most profs. normally turn 89's into 90's ... so you get either 88 or 90.

Anyway, I think its fair.  GPA, like I said, awards consistancy, and if you view it in that light, it gives an accurate picture of a student's record.  Also, some schools use 4.3 and 4.0 scales, but these GPA are easily converted.  If you apply to a school that uses a 4.3 scale, from a school that uses a 4.0 scale, the 4.3 scaled school will obviously convert your GPA.  You can't compare the two ... it makes no sense at all.

1.  Once again... you.... bastard!   ;)  I've never had an 89 converted to a 90 in my life!
2.  My school doesn't use 4.0 or 4.3.  Just percentages.  It's up to the school I'm applying to to decide.  But it still means my 89s will be 4s while 90s will be 4.3.  Do you see how this might piss me off?  We're not in agreement here, this is unfair.
No longer here.