Law School Discussion

What constitutes a secondary market?

What constitutes a secondary market?
« on: December 03, 2007, 08:49:50 PM »
Obviously places like LA, Chicago, NYC, DC are Major markets.  What about places like Boston or Atlanta?   Basically, what are the primary markets?

Re: What constitutes a secondary market?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 12:33:22 AM »
Boston is primary, I think.  Atlanta is secondary, as is Miami, Seattle, St. Louis, Denver.

What, pray tell, are you basing this on--besides your transparent NE bias?

FWIW the 15 biggest metro areas are, in order:
NYC
LA
Chicago
DC
San Francisco
Philly
Boston
Detroit
Dallas
Houston
Atlanta
Miami
Seattle
PHX
Minneapolis

gowi

• Emory '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 06:42:05 AM »
tag

billymahogany, when you biggest, what do you mean? Population? Number of law firms?

iLukeisamazing

• Go Noles!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 07:42:15 AM »
tag

billymahogany, when you biggest, what do you mean? Population? Number of law firms?

Its can't be population becuase Phoenix is the 5th largest city in the US now.

It's not, because metro Atlanta has something like 5.5 million people. He probably look up number of vault firms or whatever.

In any way, insinuating that Atlanta isn't major is laughable. It's the largest city south of New York City and east of Houston and has a number of extremely large and international firms. Stating that it's not primary is simply bias, period.

iscoredawaitlist

• The beagle puppy of anticipation
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2007, 09:35:33 AM »
Boston is primary, I think.  Atlanta is secondary, as is Miami, Seattle, St. Louis, Denver.

What, pray tell, are you basing this on--besides your transparent NE bias?

FWIW the 15 biggest metro areas are, in order:
NYC
LA
Chicago
DC
San Francisco
Philly
Boston
Detroit
Dallas
Houston
Atlanta
Miami
Seattle
PHX
Minneapolis

I think the order of your list is off if you're actually talking about "metropolitan areas" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_metropolitan_areas

1. New York
2. LA
3. Chicago
4. Dallas
5. Philly
6. Houston
7. Miami
8. Washington
9. Atlanta
10. Detroit
11. Boston
12. San Francisco
13. Pheonix
14. Riverside
15. Seattle

But anyway, size of metropolitan area doesn't really correspond to legal market. Philadelphia's legal market is fairly small, so I understand, while Washington's it obviously very large.

----

The distinction is even more laughable than "T14" schools. Almost all the markets will have firms that are major players on the national scale and pay market rate. Furthermore, most places you might call "secondary" markets have significant branches of the same firms that are in New York, Washington, Chicago and LA.

iLukeisamazing

• Go Noles!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2007, 09:57:20 AM »
tag

Its can't be population becuase Phoenix is the 5th largest city in the US now.

It's not, because metro Atlanta has something like 5.5 million people. He probably look up number of vault firms or whatever.

In any way, insinuating that Atlanta isn't major is laughable. It's the largest city south of New York City and east of Houston and has a number of extremely large and international firms. Stating that it's not primary is simply bias, period.

And the biggest city north of New York and east of Boston is Portland, Maine.  What's your point?

Atlanta is a secondary market.

ETA:  You're wrong.  Philly and DC, as metro regions, are larger than Atlanta.  If you're only counting the population of cities, there are about 10 larger in the region you specified.  Period.

Well, I do certainly apologize for this oversight in the size of the cities. While DC and Philly exist as secondary cities in about a six state radius wherein NYC and Boston exist. Atlanta is the largest city from Virginia across to Arkansas, down to Florida, and west to Texas. That's a fairly large area in which Atlanta is so large and holds a number of large national and international firms.

Your Portland, ME comment is not without it's virtues, it was a decent attempt at humor. However, it's shortsighted if you were serious. There are very few people in that area of the country (VT, NH, ME) as opposed to say, AR, LA, FL, GA, SC, NC, VA, TN, KY.

Oh well, I guess some people just never learn.

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2007, 10:50:52 AM »
It isn't based on population.  It's basically based on where there are large concentrations of national/international firms. 

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2007, 11:31:04 AM »