Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Why does the February test have such a bad rep?  (Read 3967 times)

bloomlaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Welcome to the Monkey House
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Why does the February test have such a bad rep?
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2007, 02:33:40 PM »
In a way then, if most of the test takers aren't as accomplished/brilliant/prepared in February, then wouldn't it be better to take a test in comparison to them? That's the logical conclusion, isn't it?

If you assume that the scores are lower because the test-takers aren't as apt, then yes.  But it's unclear (to me at least, maybe someone else has more insight on this) whether that's the case, or the test is, in fact, harder than usual.

I was under the impression, and I might be wrong, that even if they are harder, you are still only compared to the people that are taking the test with you. All that really matters is what percentile you are in... i.e. 84th nearly always means 160 or whatever.... Because of this, the difficulty of the test doesn't matter nearly as much as the people you are taking it with... I would rather take a hard test with idiots over an easy test with geniuses

But this is all just musing and guessing on my part

Kevin.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2007, 02:45:50 PM »
I think it's all guessing and musing on everyone's part.  I'm still unsure of exactly how the scale is determined.  I've heard from some people that it's an after-the-fact scale, but from others that it's determined before the test is even administered.  I suppose that no matter what, it's all about your relationship to other test takers.

I would just be worried that the test would be messed with in such a way that would end up dragging my score down, but I guess it's all a crap shoot!
Vandy Law 2011

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2007, 02:51:43 PM »
In a way then, if most of the test takers aren't as accomplished/brilliant/prepared in February, then wouldn't it be better to take a test in comparison to them? That's the logical conclusion, isn't it?

If you assume that the scores are lower because the test-takers aren't as apt, then yes. But it's unclear (to me at least, maybe someone else has more insight on this) whether that's the case, or the test is, in fact, harder than usual.

I was under the impression, and I might be wrong, that even if they are harder, you are still only compared to the people that are taking the test with you. All that really matters is what percentile you are in... i.e. 84th nearly always means 160 or whatever.... Because of this, the difficulty of the test doesn't matter nearly as much as the people you are taking it with... I would rather take a hard test with idiots over an easy test with geniuses

But this is all just musing and guessing on my part

no, this wrong.  but muse away, if it make feel better.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2007, 02:52:41 PM »
I think it's all guessing and musing on everyone's part. I'm still unsure of exactly how the scale is determined. I've heard from some people that it's an after-the-fact scale, but from others that it's determined before the test is even administered. I suppose that no matter what, it's all about your relationship to other test takers.

I would just be worried that the test would be messed with in such a way that would end up dragging my score down, but I guess it's all a crap shoot!

no, not all just musing.  and you hearing wrong.  but not let julie stop you!

Kevin.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2007, 03:04:06 PM »
but not let julie stop you!

...I won't!
Vandy Law 2011

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2007, 03:14:01 PM »
you have every right be seriously misinformed.

MrDiggler

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2007, 03:56:04 PM »
October 2011 test will be hardest ever
I'm hot 'cause I'm fly
You're ~hot, therefore you're ~fly

kits44

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2007, 04:03:35 PM »
October 2011 test will be hardest ever

yay! good to hear, we're in the clear

gclemen1

« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2007, 04:37:25 PM »

the curve is formulated out of everyone in the last 3 years, not just a single administration

Klaydorf

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2007, 04:46:27 PM »
So, has every non-experimental question been tested in previously administered experimentals.  Wouldn't they have to test the whole section together?  So, for example has the RC I took on the 2nd, (hawaii, mights) been tested as unit before?  Shouldn't the testers that took it on the 2nd contribute the most to the scale, since they are presumably a larger and more representative sample because they all took the exact same scored sections.

I know the testers from the last 3 years somehow bear on the scale, but how exactly, and how much?