Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Accepted at Denver  (Read 2023 times)

McGoober

• View Profile
Accepted at Denver
« on: December 03, 2007, 02:28:07 PM »
Notified by email today (December 3).

Put em up!

• View Profile
Re: Accepted at Denver
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 10:54:49 PM »
I was wondering when you went applied and how long it took you to go complete

TurboBoy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 05:52:54 AM »
Congratulations!  Enjoy Denver, if you end up going.
Support the arts, sleep with a musician.

McGoober

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 06:57:50 AM »

Sent my application through LSAC on October 2. Went complete on November 15.

Put em up!

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2007, 09:33:41 AM »

Sent my application through LSAC on October 2. Went complete on November 15.
Thanks and congrats!

McGoober

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2007, 09:43:27 AM »
Congrats! I'm a 3L there (in the middle of exams ATM though) so if you have any questions let me know.

How do you like Denver? A big part of my decision to apply was hearing such great things about the city and the surrounding area. Do you have a job lined up? What are the job prospects like? I'd like to know as much about the school as possible...any information/advice you can give would be much appreciated!

McGoober

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2007, 03:29:33 PM »
Congrats! I'm a 3L there (in the middle of exams ATM though) so if you have any questions let me know.

How do you like Denver? A big part of my decision to apply was hearing such great things about the city and the surrounding area. Do you have a job lined up? What are the job prospects like? I'd like to know as much about the school as possible...any information/advice you can give would be much appreciated!

I love Denver! It is just the right size town for me, not too big not too small. There is so much outdoor stuff to do with an hour drive or less around here you could never get board.  I love the school, I am very happy here, and while I had the chance to transfer to CU, I decided to stay at DU. I only whish it was cheaper, but I would likely say that at any school. I currently have a job clerking, and I have several offers on the table for jobs after school, but I am PT so I still have 3 semesters left before graduation.

We are right in the middle of exam week (through the 14th) so I do not have time to say much more, but let me know if you have any more Qs. There is also a Denver thread somewhere, and there are other DU students who post here, but they are likely studying!

If you don't mind my asking, what sorts of offers to you have for after graduating. Are they jobs in Denver? Any idea on the median salaries offered by Denver firms? Do you feel like your degree can get you out of CO if you wanted to?

BigLulz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2007, 03:52:03 PM »
I love Denver! It is just the right size town for me, not too big not too small. There is so much outdoor stuff to do with an hour drive or less around here you could never get board.  I love the school, I am very happy here, and while I had the chance to transfer to CU, I decided to stay at DU. I only whish it was cheaper, but I would likely say that at any school. I currently have a job clerking, and I have several offers on the table for jobs after school, but I am PT so I still have 3 semesters left before graduation.

Denver is the bomb f'realz.

How do you like the PT program? Would you say that it's put you at an advantage/ disadvantage as compared to the full time students?
!!!

cesco

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2007, 02:01:28 PM »
Congrats to everyone on their acceptances!

It looks like Mattheis posted in this thread, but has since deleted his posts. I have some time now that finals are over, so I thought I'd see if I could answer any questions about DU.

I am a 2L full time day student. I lived in Denver before starting school (2 years), and decided not to leave because I love the city/state so much.  Colorado is a great place to live - and Denver is an incredibly affordable city.  A little bit about my experience so far:

Last summer I did a summer abroad program and had an amazing experience.  I'd highly recommend it to anyone.  This semester I participated in a clinic, and next semester (starting in a few weeks) I will be doing a judicial internship.  This past fall I participated in OCI and landed a firm job for the summer. I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to pick from several offers, and I am excited about the firm that I will be with. They are a national firm with a branch office in Denver. 

People come to DU with a wide range of career goals, and we seems to have a lot of people that are focused on public interest and trial work. As Mattheis has pointed out in previous threads, DU has a great advantage because we are in a city and students can intern during the semesters.  Most of my friends have internships lined up for next semester, and are choosing to take the internship for credit so that they can take one or two less classes.  These internships range from working in firms, working for judges, PD/DAs offices, Attorney General's office, Governor's office, etc.

Anyway, Im happy to answer any questions anyone has.
2L

cesco

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2007, 05:49:31 PM »
Where did you study abroad at?  Does the study abroad help prepare you for any post graduate career?
Also for DU is there strict screening (if you are not in 10% you can't qualify or the like) for the OCI? 
Everything I have read and people I talked to said in general for DU and CU grads one is not preferred over the other, in your opinion does this hold true or will CU grads have any easier time getting jobs based on its higher ranking?
Thanks!

Hi 303 -
I studied abroad in South Africa. I did it more for personal experience than for career preperation. Several of my study abroad classmates were interested in doing humanitarian/international work, and they sought those experiences out.  But most of my classmates were there to learn about a new culture.  The classes I took were all comparative law classes, and were incredibily interesting and helped put US Law in perspective.  You can do a study abroad with any ABA approved school.  DU transfers the credtis as P/F; thus, you can have a very low stress summer.

As for OCI screening... DU does not do any screening, its the employers that do the screening.  A few of the firms will say something like "ideal candidate will have xx, xx and be in the top x%."  So they dont actually say you CANT apply, but they are explicit about what they are looking for.  I think there were a couple that actually said top 10%, some said top 25% or top third, and most just said something like "solid academic performance." I can't actually tell you what the grade breakdown is because most students keep their grades to themselves. Thus, I have no idea where my classmates that got OCI jobs actually stand.  Some things that seemed to help include: work experience, hard science background (for IP), ties to Denver (clear desire to stay), law review/journal, moot court, etc. 

The vast majority of firms that do OCI are those looking to fill spots in Denver.  The national firms are hiring for their Denver branch office, I do not think you could interview and say you wanted to go to New York or something. There are a decent amount of regional and mid sized firms and they seemed to be more flexible on their grade expectations.

Your DU v. CU question - I dont think that one or the other is preferred in the Denver market.  I have heard that something like nearly 60% of all lawyers in the Denver area are DU grads, so there is obviously a lot of support for DU.  CU has a much smaller class, but I am sure they have a "stick together" mentality.  As for OCI opportunities... I did a lot of research on the firms in Denver and I think that every large and mid sized firm in Denver came to campus. As for the raw numbers hired, I have zero idea. 

In terms of non-OCI jobs (which is going to be the vast majority of graduates), students generally do internships throughout the year to make connections and get experience.  In my opinion, law school is what you make of it. If you approach your education with enthusiasm and put in the effort, you will have many opportunities. 

Hopefully that helps! Feel free to ask more Qs.
2L