Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Help me with my Georgetown Defferal!  (Read 3892 times)

joyce615

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Help me with my Georgetown Defferal!
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2007, 06:36:27 PM »
My impression from deloggio is that a deferral is much better than a waitlist. A deferral means then are still considering your file, whereas a waitlist is just a polite rejection. Here's an excerpt:

Some schools send applicants a letter after four to six weeks telling them they have been "deferred" or "placed on hold." A hold is a determination that your file is too marginal for a decision just yet. You are neither a presumptive admit nor a presumptive deny. The school wants to defer a decision for a while. The surest way to know that this letter is a "hold" letter and not a wait list letter is that it says you will hear from them again at a later date (which may or may not be specified).

Since I have not seen the GULC deferral letter though, I can't be certain that the above applies.

SABound

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2007, 06:38:46 PM »
Just got a deferral as well. 169 and 3.62. It wasn't a surprise as I went complete ages ago, but it seems so weird to be deferred at Georgetown when i've already gotten into better schools.

viv

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2007, 06:39:41 PM »
Thanks for the info mancandy.  Good luck with the rest of your cycle :)

Matthew

• Sr. Citizen
  • Formerly known as /\_-=-M-=-_/\
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2007, 06:41:22 PM »
Just got a deferral as well. 169 and 3.62. It wasn't a surprise as I went complete ages ago, but it seems so weird to be deferred at Georgetown when i've already gotten into better schools.

Where else have you been accepted?
Cycle finally finished!

170/3.82
Accepted: Michigan($$), UCLA, Virginia($$), Duke($$), Georgetown, Vanderbilt($$$), Notre Dame($$$), William & Mary($$$)
Deferred: Northwestern
Waitlisted: Penn ($$)
Rejected: Yale, Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, NYU, Chicago

joyce615

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Help me with my Georgetown Deferral!
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2007, 06:54:12 PM »

whereas a waitlist is just a polite rejection.

I think this really depends on the school. If you are high on the list at GULC you've got a good shot, whereas a WL at Cornell or USC is pretty much a rejection.

I think your chances of getting off the waitlist depend on the school, but a waitlist should certainly be treated as a rejection. Why does a waitlist exist? To ensure schools can fill their classes when their admits (the ones they truly want) choose to go elsewhere. Waitlists are only there for the protection of the schools.

SABound

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2007, 07:06:06 PM »
I have been accepted at Michigan, Duke, and WUSTL. I don't plan on withdrawing because its actually a top choice for me. My SO works in emergency relief and food distribution, so there aren't a lot of cities where he could find a job (He's currently working abroad) and DC is one of them.

MHLM

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2007, 07:12:46 PM »
This thread has me wondering what the Georgetown AdCom is smoking. A few weeks ago, it seemed like everyone and their mother was getting in...now the proverbial well has dried up, or so it seems. Maybe they realized there were just too many great candidates and they best stop being so generous with their acceptances...? I don't know. I really am surprised that some of the stats posted here have yielded deferrals.

ace888

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2007, 10:36:38 PM »
Add me to the pile of deferrals, same exact numbers as a previous poster (3.62, 169). Submitted late October, complete first week of November. Letter dated 11/28 and received 12/3

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2007, 10:40:15 PM »
Did anyone with a 170+ get deferred?  Freaking numbers, man.

This thread has me wondering what the Georgetown AdCom is smoking. A few weeks ago, it seemed like everyone and their mother was getting in...now the proverbial well has dried up, or so it seems. Maybe they realized there were just too many great candidates and they best stop being so generous with their acceptances...? I don't know. I really am surprised that some of the stats posted here have yielded deferrals.

I think this just has more to do with logistics.  I think they put all the applications in piles.  Contacted the "yeses" first, started letting the deferrals know at the same time this week, and they will probably deal with the reject pile soon.  That's my guess, at least.
* Columbia Law, Class of 2011 *

LSN

Matthew

• Sr. Citizen
  • Formerly known as /\_-=-M-=-_/\
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2007, 10:42:30 PM »

Well obviously they do acceptances first, but I really can't imagine why my 3.7x/170 got accepted while a 3.62/169 got deferred.
Cycle finally finished!

170/3.82
Accepted: Michigan($$), UCLA, Virginia($$), Duke($$), Georgetown, Vanderbilt($$$), Notre Dame($$$), William & Mary($$$)
Deferred: Northwestern
Waitlisted: Penn ($$)
Rejected: Yale, Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, NYU, Chicago