Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Regent Law Student Sues  (Read 3975 times)

Alan Shore

• Sr. Citizen
  • All reality. None of it scripted.
    • View Profile
Regent Law Student Sues
« on: December 02, 2007, 11:46:07 PM »
I know that the boardies here love to hate on Regent. I'm not trying to do that, I'm just posting news & opinion!

A Regent University Law School student sued the school after being suspended. The student posted a picture of Regent founder Pat Robertson scratching his face with his middle finger, making it look like he was making an obscene gesture. 

Regent is a school I considered going to because of the Christian factor, until I learned that it was Pat Robertson's school... not to mention I have been accepted to other schools! :) Even so, the school is closely tied with the American Center for Law and Justice (ACLJ), a firm that promotes religious freedom and free speech.

What I find so troubling about this case at Regent is the pure hypocrisy. Christian law schools are out there because they're sick of Christian students being discriminated against when they don't agree with their secular school's views, such as schools denying organizational rights to the Christian Legal Society. Well, in this case, Regent is doing the exact same thing that they fight against. While I think the student may have exercised poor taste with the joke, I don't think he should have been suspended or forced to undergo a mental health evaluation.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • tea baggers, unite! screw u.s.a.!
    • View Profile
Re: Regent Law Student Sues
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 07:14:09 PM »
I know that the boardies here love to hate on Regent. I'm not trying to do that, I'm just posting news & opinion!

A Regent University Law School student sued the school after being suspended. The student posted a picture of Regent founder Pat Robertson scratching his face with his middle finger, making it look like he was making an obscene gesture.

Regent is a school I considered going to because of the Christian factor, until I learned that it was Pat Robertson's school... not to mention I have been accepted to other schools! :) Even so, the school is closely tied with the American Center for Law and Justice (ACLJ), a firm that promotes religious freedom and free speech.

What I find so troubling about this case at Regent is the pure hypocrisy. Christian law schools are out there because they're sick of Christian students being discriminated against when they don't agree with their secular school's views, such as schools denying organizational rights to the Christian Legal Society. Well, in this case, Regent is doing the exact same thing that they fight against. While I think the student may have exercised poor taste with the joke, I don't think he should have been suspended or forced to undergo a mental health evaluation.

starting figure it out, are we?

Alan Shore

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 07:32:57 PM »
Christian law schools are out there because they're sick of Christian students being discriminated against when they don't agree with their secular school's views, such as schools denying organizational rights to the Christian Legal Society.

funny.  i thought they were out there to indoctrinate their students with particular viewpoints.

Well in all honesty, isn't that the goal of any institution?

starting figure it out, are we?

A compliment from Jule! I thought I'd never see it! 8)

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007, 09:43:51 PM »

not get too excited.  you still religious nut.

Alan Shore

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2007, 08:12:40 PM »
Christian law schools are out there because they're sick of Christian students being discriminated against when they don't agree with their secular school's views, such as schools denying organizational rights to the Christian Legal Society.

funny.  i thought they were out there to indoctrinate their students with particular viewpoints.

Well in all honesty, isn't that the goal of any institution?

um, yes?  ???

I'm just saying that non-Christian schools advocate a non-Christian viewpoint.
I don't think this is necessarily anti-Christian, but I think it's safe to say that they 'indoctrinate' their students with non-Christian thinking. Just like a Christian school 'indoctrinates' their students with Christian thinking.

not get too excited.  you still religious nut.

LOL Just having faith makes me a religious nut?
I actually prefer to go to a 'secular' school so that I'm exposed to viewpoints that aren't necessarily my own.
I think it's high time for the Religious Right to stop blindly following people like Pat Robertson and think for themselves. 
(And I'm anti-gump, too... I lean more to the left.)

Alan Shore

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2007, 09:22:39 PM »
There is no problem. I was just saying that the following observation is not unique to Christian law schools.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2007, 11:00:37 PM »

not get too excited. you still religious nut.

I actually prefer to go to a 'secular' school so that I'm exposed to viewpoints that aren't necessarily my own.
I think it's high time for the Religious Right to stop blindly following people like Pat Robertson and think for themselves.

ok then, you not nut so much as legume with nutty flavor.

Alan Shore

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2007, 11:04:23 PM »
There is no problem. I was just saying that the following observation is not unique to Christian law schools.

i don't see why you would think that it was.  ???

Oh. My bad.  :-[ I misread your statement as a slam on Christian schools.

not get too excited. you still religious nut.

ok then, you not nut so much as legume with nutty flavor.

LOL. How anybody can be offended by you is beyond my comprehension... You're hilarious!

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
  • It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2007, 12:05:27 AM »
done for the day = already took all your finals.

go.

done for the day = long time strategy of chilling instead of stressing.

go.

explain UCC 207 to me.

Dude! Piggy knows that one cold! We totally talked about it....

Quote from: Earthbound SNES
Get a sense of humor, Susan B. Anthony!
Quote from: dashrashi
I'm going to cut a female dog. With a knife with a brown handle, natch.
Quote from: Elephant Lee
Don't judge me. You've not had my life.

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
  • It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2007, 12:54:41 AM »
done for the day = already took all your finals.

go.

done for the day = long time strategy of chilling instead of stressing.

go.

explain UCC 207 to me.

Dude! Piggy knows that one cold! We totally talked about it....

here's another one whose grades still matter.

wait a sec...

DAMN YOU!!!!  >:(

We learned a song today called "P equals JD." It was great.
Quote from: Earthbound SNES
Get a sense of humor, Susan B. Anthony!
Quote from: dashrashi
I'm going to cut a female dog. With a knife with a brown handle, natch.
Quote from: Elephant Lee
Don't judge me. You've not had my life.