Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Canadians at Harvard and Coming Back to Canada  (Read 4344 times)

smith555

• View Profile
Canadians at Harvard and Coming Back to Canada
« on: December 02, 2007, 09:22:47 PM »
Just wondering if there were any Canadians at Harvard who would like to share their perspective with a prospective Harvard 1L from Canada. Also, has anybody who has gone to Harvard or other US schools gone through the process of coming back to work in Canada? I know some Toronto firms will hire people who passed an American bar, but others want you to get a Canadian designation.

asdfjkl

• View Profile
Re: Canadians at Harvard and Coming Back to Canada
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 09:56:51 PM »
The vast majority of us plan to work in the US, at least for a couple years to start. My understanding is that it isn't easy to go directly back to Canada - I think it's a year of courses and exams just to be eligible to write the bar, and you have to article for a year on top of that. As far as I know, it's somewhat easier if you've passed a US bar exam and practiced for awhile. I haven't heard of firms hiring you with just an American bar membership, but I guess it's possible at some of the (small) branch offices of US firms. If you're sure you want to go directly back to Canada, you should strongly consider U of T.

Let me know if you have other questions about being a Canadian at HLS.

papercranes

• Sr. Citizen
  • Beer Lao. Why did I leave and come to law school?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007, 09:57:59 PM »
The vast majority of us plan to work in the US, at least for a couple years to start. My understanding is that it isn't easy to go directly back to Canada - I think it's a year of courses and exams just to be eligible to write the bar, and you have to article for a year on top of that. As far as I know, it's somewhat easier if you've passed a US bar exam and practiced for awhile. I haven't heard of firms hiring you with just an American bar membership, but I guess it's possible at some of the (small) branch offices of US firms. If you're sure you want to go directly back to Canada, you should strongly consider U of T.

all acurate as far as I know
university of southern california 2011

smith555

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2007, 03:20:22 PM »
Thanks for your help! I've got a few questions:
1. What is the housing like? How hard is it to get into residence? Where do people in residence eat? (I think I read somewhere they don't have a meal plan)
2. Do many people fail? I'm afraid my classmates will all be so much further ahead of me with their masters and PhDs and know basic information about US law that I don't.
3. Were you able to get any scholarships or loans from Canada?
Thanks!

asdfjkl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2007, 10:37:20 AM »
Dorms are pretty standard. Gropius is small but cheap and social. Hastings and North are significantly more expensive. There's a lottery for the dorms, but I think almost everyone who wanted it got in. I'd recommend Gropius for 1L, unless you really want something bigger and nicer, and/or you have a roommate to split costs with.

There's no "meal plan", but there is a pretty decent cafeteria, and you can pay with your student card so it's more or less the same thing. There's also plenty of places to get take-out within a 5-10 minute walk. There's kitchens in the dorms too.

No one fails. Ever. It's very, very difficult to get anything below a B-. Don't worry about people with graduate degrees - law is a different subject, so I can't imagine they help too much. If you don't follow US news and politics you might want to spend an hour or two on wikipedia learning the basics of the American form of government and constitution, but that's about all you need. Seriously, you will be fine.

From the HLS website: The most important point for an international student is that Harvard treats international applicants exactly the same as US applicants for the purposes of financial aid. Any loans which the US government would give to a US applicant, Harvard will match through its own loan program. This is incredibly generous and unheard of at many law schools. * Harvard does not offer merit-based scholarships. All of its financial aid is based on financial need

meggo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2008, 10:36:32 AM »
Yeah, their undergrad financing is pretty unique in that respect too ie giving financial aid to everyone no matter their country of citizenship.

Congrats on getting in! I would however suggest that if you plan on working in Canada, it might be best to go to law school there. I'm sure you've accepted and paid already, but there isn't that much point in going to a US law school over a Canadian school if you only want to practice in Canada. Of course going to Harvard will be a great experience, but the law schools in each respective country are geared towards teaching you to practice law in those countries. That said, if you're unsure of course, Harvard will give you a lot of flexibility and options for future employment