Law School Discussion

Georgetown Preferred Waitlist

Re: Georgetown Preferred Waitlist
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2007, 01:47:22 PM »
But the wait lists come out in the spring. Right now they just defer right?

jason_perrlx

• Betrayed by Dot. Plotting revenge.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2007, 01:48:23 PM »
dunno.

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2007, 01:54:49 PM »
I got a preferred wait list letter. what is a "deferral letter"

jason_perrlx

• Betrayed by Dot. Plotting revenge.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2007, 02:00:03 PM »
i don't really know much about the difference btw being deferred and waitlisted.  this guy got deferred, you should talk to him.

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,97859.0.html

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2007, 02:03:19 PM »
"Thank you for applying to the JD program at GULC. The record you present is a strong one, and the Committee on Admissions (CoA) has chosen to defer your final decision.

This year, a large number of candidates have submitted early applications to Georgetown Law. The highly quality of this group makes the Committee's decision extremely difficult. Please be aware that only a small number of early applicants have been deferred and a number of deferred applicants in the past years have been subsequently admitted.

Once we have a better sense of the entire applicant pool, the COA will review your app again in January.

No additional info is needed and the LSDAS will continue to send up updates, we will add to your file. A final decision will be mailed no later than Friday, February 15, 2008

On behalf of the Committee, we appreciate your patience and continued interest in Georgetown"

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2007, 02:05:13 PM »
Being deferred means that you might still receive a decision before they go to the waitlist.

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2007, 02:10:20 PM »
Then there's the regular waitlistarinos.  These people tend not to get in.

As one of these people from last cycle, I can confirm.

Also, regarding those deferral questions, those are for people who applied Early Decision and are being lumped in with the regular applicant pool, which is no longer binding.

Which would make sense if I had applied EA instead of RD.. Some posters on TLS ran into the same thing happening. Apparently, GULC screwed up.

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2007, 02:15:22 PM »
I don't see a real advantage to wait listing instead of deferring unless it is a coping strategy for the large number of applications.

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2007, 03:26:23 PM »
my status went from decision on friday to complete today.... kinda odd.... any takers?

thanks before hand