Law School Discussion

Any advice for gaining acceptance off the waitlists?

Any advice for gaining acceptance off the waitlists?
« on: December 01, 2007, 06:18:10 PM »
It may be a little early in the cycle to be asking this -- and, since we're here, the vast majority of us probably have no experience dealing with this issue -- but does anyone have advice with regard to gaining acceptance after being waitlisted?

Is the conventional wisdom on this (i.e. maintain regular contact, let them know that you would immediately accept admission if offered) all you can do?

I passed up doing a few of the "Why School X?" essays (Michigan, Penn) when I sent my applications in.  If I get banished to the waitlists for these schools, I'm thinking of including an explanation of my interest in the schools in correspondence with them. 

Anyone else have suggestions for dealing with this issue?

rsr28

• View Profile
Re: Any advice for gaining acceptance off the waitlists?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2007, 06:21:00 PM »
Sending the "Why X" essay and a brief PERSONALIZED letter of continued interest is about all you can do.  Don't send more than a couple letters; the aforementioned stuff right when you get WL'ed, then maybe a couple months later another LOCI (and maybe one last one in the summer if you want to ride the list to the bitter end).

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2007, 06:31:37 PM »
Do more impressive stuff.  Take a new language, improve your GPA, get appointed to a board, get a part-time job, get published, present your research at a conference.  Send letter telling them about your continued interest every 6-8 weeks starting in January.  Repeat.

Don't write them unless you have something to say. 

And another LOR in the spring from an alumnus won't hurt. 

Tetris

• Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007, 01:27:11 PM »
Realistically, is a Waitlist the "kiss of death?" How high are someone's chances of getting off a waitlist? I had a dream I got on Columbia's waitlist.

t L

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2007, 01:34:44 PM »
I would get a targeted recommendation letter, send an LOCI, and write a "Why X" essay.  All should be flawless.

I am Penny Lane

• Manager of the "Get Dotlyn to go to FSU" Campaign!
    • View Profile
    • LSN - What do you think of my choices?
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2007, 01:35:25 PM »
I got off a waitlist last cycle with out even telling them I wanted to stay on it.