Law School Discussion

160-164 Thread (give or take)

zardoz

  • ****
  • 106
    • View Profile
Re: 160-164 Thread (give or take)
« Reply #410 on: May 05, 2008, 03:12:30 PM »
I still have the highest index of the waitlists on LSN.  WTF.

I tie you now.  ;)

Alecto

  • ****
  • 181
  • Class of 2011
    • AOL Instant Messenger - oceangirlUGA
    • View Profile
Re: 160-164 Thread (give or take)
« Reply #411 on: May 19, 2008, 03:05:13 PM »
I finally heard from IU - B.  Rejected.  I'm not really upset about it, other than a little bruised ego.  I would have been 5/5 if they accepted me.

Re: 160-164 Thread (give or take)
« Reply #412 on: May 25, 2008, 11:41:15 AM »
I'm in at GWU, but with no money. I also don't intend to practice in DC, but CA instead. Am I better off attending lower ranked but still Tier 1 public schools in CA? GWU is currently Top 20 and seems to be on the rise, so the prestige factor sure is tempting, especially since my lsat was below their median.

Re: 160-164 Thread (give or take)
« Reply #413 on: May 26, 2008, 10:16:22 AM »
Congrats Vsting!  Just curious how did GW let you know and what were you numbers like?  Thanks!

Re: 160-164 Thread (give or take)
« Reply #414 on: May 26, 2008, 11:10:40 AM »
I'll PM you

Re: 160-164 Thread (give or take)
« Reply #415 on: May 27, 2008, 06:05:52 PM »
I'm in at GWU, but with no money. I also don't intend to practice in DC, but CA instead. Am I better off attending lower ranked but still Tier 1 public schools in CA? GWU is currently Top 20 and seems to be on the rise, so the prestige factor sure is tempting, especially since my lsat was below their median.

Vsting, Congrats on your acceptance! However, I would recommend against GW in favor of a school in California, if that is where you aspire to practice. I myself faced the same question. Tier 1 California schools ranked below GW still significantly outperform GW in terms of employment prospects in-state. GW is strong in the Mid Atlantic region, but much less on the West Coast. Also, if you are looking at UC law schools, you will likely walk away with at least $50,000 less debt than GW. Most out-of-state students earn residency privileges by the second year.

Re: 160-164 Thread (give or take)
« Reply #416 on: May 27, 2008, 07:09:49 PM »
Thanks for the advice, man. I thought about my situation over the weekend and came to a similar conclusion. As hard as it is to walk away from the prestige of a Top 20 school, it's more important to have in-state regional connections, and less debt so I will have more options. Outside of the elite law schools, going to a higher ranked school doesn't mean much if it doesn't translate into better reputation/connections in the specific area where you want to work. Add to that the cost of attendance without scholarships and grants, and it's just not worth it.


Re: 160-164 Thread (give or take)
« Reply #417 on: May 27, 2008, 07:23:54 PM »
I'm in at GWU, but with no money. I also don't intend to practice in DC, but CA instead. Am I better off attending lower ranked but still Tier 1 public schools in CA? GWU is currently Top 20 and seems to be on the rise, so the prestige factor sure is tempting, especially since my lsat was below their median.

Vsting, Congrats on your acceptance! However, I would recommend against GW in favor of a school in California, if that is where you aspire to practice. I myself faced the same question. Tier 1 California schools ranked below GW still significantly outperform GW in terms of employment prospects in-state. GW is strong in the Mid Atlantic region, but much less on the West Coast. Also, if you are looking at UC law schools, you will likely walk away with at least $50,000 less debt than GW. Most out-of-state students earn residency privileges by the second year.

as a former GW student, TITCR. unless you have an interest in DC, you are better off going to a preferred local school than a non-T10 far away. still, DC is a very competitive market

Re: 160-164 Thread (give or take)
« Reply #418 on: May 31, 2008, 04:24:52 AM »
What a great idea for a thread!

Sooooo, here's my story. I'm a 160/3.07 who took eight years to finish his BFA from NYU Film School. More specifically, I went through the four years of the program, lost 4 necessary credits at the last minute, and then went straight into the working world (technical writing) without so much caring about actually having a BFA. Then, as I decided to go back to law school, I went back to NYU, took a Law & Society class to make up for my missing four credits, and there you go. So, my record is patchy and peculiar, especially with the whole film school and non-trad student thing going on. My ambitions are nowhere near Big Law as a concept - I'd be happy to work in intellectual property, entertainment, the public interest, or for the government.

So, two questions. I got 12.5k/y from St. John's, and that's probably where I'm going. Yay. However, I've also received 20k/y from New York Law School. I'm not going to NYLS (I had applied as a safety), but I was wondering if there would be a way to negotiate for more money from St. John's with the 20k/y from NYLS as a bargaining chip? Are my numbers too low to even bother negotiating? To whom would I pitch such a thing?

My first choice, however, would absolutely be Cardozo - and yet they still haven't rendered a decision on my application! They gave me the email address of the Dean of Admissions when I inquired about this this week. Should I bother emailing her? Would this hurt my chances? What should I ask or say? I was pondering a friendly, polite (obviously) letter indicating that Cardozo is "far and away" my top choice, and that hearing a decision soon would mean a great deal, but I wonder if that would only speed along a rejection. Would such an email hurt me? Is it pointless?

Re: 160-164 Thread (give or take)
« Reply #419 on: May 31, 2008, 09:40:38 AM »
What a great idea for a thread!

Sooooo, here's my story. I'm a 160/3.07 who took eight years to finish his BFA from NYU Film School. More specifically, I went through the four years of the program, lost 4 necessary credits at the last minute, and then went straight into the working world (technical writing) without so much caring about actually having a BFA. Then, as I decided to go back to law school, I went back to NYU, took a Law & Society class to make up for my missing four credits, and there you go. So, my record is patchy and peculiar, especially with the whole film school and non-trad student thing going on. My ambitions are nowhere near Big Law as a concept - I'd be happy to work in intellectual property, entertainment, the public interest, or for the government.

So, two questions. I got 12.5k/y from St. John's, and that's probably where I'm going. Yay. However, I've also received 20k/y from New York Law School. I'm not going to NYLS (I had applied as a safety), but I was wondering if there would be a way to negotiate for more money from St. John's with the 20k/y from NYLS as a bargaining chip? Are my numbers too low to even bother negotiating? To whom would I pitch such a thing?

My first choice, however, would absolutely be Cardozo - and yet they still haven't rendered a decision on my application! They gave me the email address of the Dean of Admissions when I inquired about this this week. Should I bother emailing her? Would this hurt my chances? What should I ask or say? I was pondering a friendly, polite (obviously) letter indicating that Cardozo is "far and away" my top choice, and that hearing a decision soon would mean a great deal, but I wonder if that would only speed along a rejection. Would such an email hurt me? Is it pointless?

Definitely email the dean at Cardozo. Admissions gave you her email address for a reason. You can even say that when you inquired about the status of your application you were directed to her. It shows continuing interest that you took the time.

And there is no harm in trying to negotiate more $$ from St. Johns. The worst they can say is no and you stick with what you got.