Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 160-164 Thread (give or take)  (Read 46446 times)

epicac

• press play
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 160-164 Thread (give or take)
« Reply #70 on: December 27, 2007, 05:31:26 PM »
Thanks for this thread, OP... my idea of a perfect scenario is 1/2 of what other people on here expect.  I mean T2 instead of T1, partial scholarship instead of full ride, and decent job rather than a big-time one.  It almost makes me question what's important in life.  Almost.  ;)
riding a gravy train with biscuit wheels...

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 27, 2007, 07:40:45 PM »
I have a ton of questions and thought it best to ask here.

I got a 160 on the dec LSAT after 157 in Sept. I am 3.6/160 from UW-Madison which is also my top choice for school. I know they do show preference to an extent for instate students; however, I am concerned that this late in the cycle and by the time I get my app in I will most likely get dinged/ or at least waitlisted. So would I be put at a huge disadvantage if I got dinged this cycle and then re-applied next fall again super early? Would they look at my app again jaded? Basically I would love to apply and have a shot this cycle but not necessarily if it would really kill me next fall.

any ideas or general thoughts? thanks a lot everyone.

Are you in Madison now?  Come over and talk to Mike Hall about it.  Why would a law school think persistence is a bad thing?  Seriously!  You can get in at Wisconsin, but you have to act like you want to be here!  Good luck!

camarogirlj

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #72 on: December 28, 2007, 10:57:15 AM »
Thanks for the reply Unbiased!  I'm shooting for those tier 2s with perhaps an outside shot at a couple tier 1s not that I'd go there without $$$. 

Has anyone got a clue as to when schools would be getting my updated LSAT score from LSAC?  I got my score on the 20th but with LSAC closed I wonder if I'll be waiting EVEN longer to get replies back on applications I sent in early November!  Thought maybe someone has been through this before???

ApesAMB

• AOL Instant Messenger - ApesAMB
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 28, 2007, 11:49:12 AM »
I have a ton of questions and thought it best to ask here.

I got a 160 on the dec LSAT after 157 in Sept. I am 3.6/160 from UW-Madison which is also my top choice for school. I know they do show preference to an extent for instate students; however, I am concerned that this late in the cycle and by the time I get my app in I will most likely get dinged/ or at least waitlisted. So would I be put at a huge disadvantage if I got dinged this cycle and then re-applied next fall again super early? Would they look at my app again jaded? Basically I would love to apply and have a shot this cycle but not necessarily if it would really kill me next fall.

any ideas or general thoughts? thanks a lot everyone.

I think you should definitely apply.  I had a 157 last year and applied right at the deadline and ended up getting waitlisted.  I didn't get off the waitlist, but from my experience I definitely think you at least have a shot.  I've also heard that Wisconsin somewhat favors people who reapply, so it might actually help you next year if you apply this year and don't get in.

Good luck to all you other 160-164ers.  I have a 162/3.64 and am a glutton for punishment by applying to way too many reaches.  Lets all hope they like soft factors.  I keep saying that I will be way more proud of myself for getting into Stanford with a 162 than with a 170+ because it means they actually like me and not just my test score!
Boston College Class of 2011!

camdiz

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 28, 2007, 03:42:31 PM »
ahhhh i got a 164 and i have a 3.25 gpa. im part of that group who started out premed and switched, but not soon enough to salvage the gpa. my last 2 years i had an avg of 3.8 gpa but sadly law schools dont really look at that very much. in any case, im not someone who has had a lifelong dream going to a t14 school, really my reach schools are bu, bc, gw, and fordham but id be very happy with wakeforest, unc chapel hill, tulane, miami, and american. i definitely think the 160-164 band is totally underappreciated but i personally think that this band is very special  :)

llena de galletas

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 29, 2007, 08:33:12 AM »
Wow, so nice to know not everyone gets a 170 on the LSAT (or wants to retake it, haha). I got a 161 LSAT, 3.87 undergrad GPA from NYU, plus I will have 2 years of "work experience" so I guess that may help me a little.  Here's my list below.

Applied but no decision:
UVA
Duke
George Mason
UNC-Chapel Hill

Admitted!
William and Mary

I have to say that with my LSAT, I was a little surprised about the prompt acceptance from them.  Good luck to everyone applying, and I think I saw someone on this thread asking about William and Mary, so just to give you hope, it CAN be done, with a 161!!  :)

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 29, 2007, 09:07:00 AM »
Wow, so nice to know not everyone gets a 170 on the LSAT (or wants to retake it, haha). I got a 161 LSAT, 3.87 undergrad GPA from NYU, plus I will have 2 years of "work experience" so I guess that may help me a little.  Here's my list below.

Applied but no decision:
UVA
Duke
George Mason
UNC-Chapel Hill

Admitted!
William and Mary

I have to say that with my LSAT, I was a little surprised about the prompt acceptance from them.  Good luck to everyone applying, and I think I saw someone on this thread asking about William and Mary, so just to give you hope, it CAN be done, with a 161!!  :)

You have a decent shot at George Mason, and I'm definitely envious of your W&M acceptance!  I've been waiting for a long time to hear back from them one way or another.

Good luck with the rest of your decisions!

LifesaBitch

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 30, 2007, 11:27:04 AM »
Hey guys I'm a 164/3.5 and so happy to be here! My Sept score was a 159 so it's nice to be able to move up a score band and have so many new options :)

Are any of you non-URMs trying the T-14? I'm tempted to, but my numbers are so low for them that I'm debating about whether it's even worth it. Do any of them pay much attention to soft factors?

Hey, you do need to hold out hope.  I was in the same situation (165 LSAT second take after 159 first time + 3.8 GPA).  I applied early, and now I starting law school in August at Northwestern. 

Depending on the school, they definitely pay attention to the soft factors, but APPLY NOW!  The longer you wait, the less chance you have!
Northwestern - Class of 2011!

Meliss1086

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 30, 2007, 11:28:27 AM »
Hey guys I'm a 164/3.5 and so happy to be here! My Sept score was a 159 so it's nice to be able to move up a score band and have so many new options :)

Are any of you non-URMs trying the T-14? I'm tempted to, but my numbers are so low for them that I'm debating about whether it's even worth it. Do any of them pay much attention to soft factors?

Hey, you do need to hold out hope.  I was in the same situation (165 LSAT second take after 159 first time + 3.8 GPA).  I applied early, and now I starting law school in August at Northwestern. 

Depending on the school, they definitely pay attention to the soft factors, but APPLY NOW!  The longer you wait, the less chance you have!

Wow, Congratulations! I love to hear about success stories like this.

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 30, 2007, 12:41:53 PM »

Wow, that gives me hope for Northwestern then! (I would LOVE to get in there.)

But, if you were so lucky to get into NW, why the screenname?  (sorry, I had to ask.)