Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Which schools have a Pass/Fail policy ?  (Read 962 times)

Victor

Which schools have a Pass/Fail policy ?
« on: March 17, 2004, 06:24:21 AM »
I heard that Yale and Stanford has this and that it's easy to do well with this type of policy. Can anyone verify if this is true?

Revenant

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Which schools have a Pass/Fail policy ?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2004, 11:47:32 AM »
Northeastern does for sure.  I think for the top schools, if they use this policy, it's no problem for the students.  However, some ppl at Northeastern have told me that the P/F policy has negatively affected their job search.

dpk

• Stanford Law '07, 3.81 / 174 , UG '98 - CompE
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2004, 09:02:30 PM »
Yale and Boalt Hall (UC Berkeley) both have the Pass/Fail/Honors system. Stanford is grades, but I believe the lowest grade you can get without failing is a B-.

The Pass/Fail system is still competitive, though, as people are really trying to get the limited Honors and High Honors marks. The good news, of course, is that if you aren't gunning for a Supreme Court Clerkship, or something similar, you can sit back and relax. P=JD is the motto I've heard from many students...

zpops

• Sr. Citizen
  • Going to NYU in the fall! 3.99/175
    • AOL Instant Messenger - zp0ps
    • View Profile
    • The Digital Rant
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2004, 09:55:33 PM »
I know that Columbia and NYU don't compute class rank or gpa, so even thoiugh you're graded on a scale of B- to A, the grades aren't as important.
www.thedigitalrant.com - A site for discussions on books, movies, video games and other forms of entertainment.  We're just starting out, so stop on by, if you have the chance.

toiysam

• MSN Messenger - toiysam@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • 2LawSchool
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2004, 07:08:55 AM »
But when it comes to search for a job, they are gonna compare your numbers with other people from your school, so they will matter, unless you dont care where you are gonna work. (well, since most biglaws give the same salaries, people dont care, but some do really care)

HighPSI

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2004, 08:20:02 AM »
If they add Honors and High Honors to the mix, it's no difference than letter grades.  HH, H, P = A, B, C.