Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Where are all the minorities if not on this board?  (Read 5883 times)

Stroopwafel

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Where are all the minorities if not on this board?
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2004, 11:52:30 PM »
Maricutie, ignore the angry rants. He may not have helped you but he is right to be a bit pissed. It feels like you can't win no matter what. If you get in as a minority, ten it is assumed that you couldn;t have passed muster otherwise, despite your numbers.

What I waned to tell you is that you cannot based the whole PS on the same immigrant/minority/poor thing. If those things are a given with regards to a standard topic for AA PSs then there has to be something else that you need to differentate you.

What about your specific immigrant/minority/poor upbringing lead you to want to pursue the study of law? What is it about society that you want to change? Was there something negative about your life expereince that you as a lawyer would hope to improve, rectify, or eliminate from the life stories of people that come after you.

But remember that zemogji has a partial point. Expect people to be racist unless proven otherwise. Don't expect anything special or better because you are a minority. Don't be surprised that if you get into law school then there will have been a deserving poor white trash that couldn't get in de to his/her skin. Which is equally unfair.

The most important part of stereotypes is breaking them or when you find them to be broken.  White Southerners did march in Selma after all. The Industral Workers of the World had anti-racist and pro-Asian policies in the 20s.

Just write your story Maricutie and honestly tell the addcomms why you want to be a lawyer. Just don't write what you think anyone else that is an immigrant/minority would write about.

Godspeed
Rest not. Life is sweeping by; go and dare before you die. Something mighty and sublime, leave behind to conquer time.

-Goethe

cnkis

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2004, 04:22:19 PM »
I'm a minority, but I don't want to say so on this board simply because people get very scary. I've been wanting to talk/write about my personal statement and what it should be about, but as was said above, it usually turns into this anti-minority attack and strays away from the topic. I've been looking at the numbers and it's really not that much easier as far as numbers are concerned. Just so everyone knows.
Dec LSAT here I come :)

muyaha

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2004, 05:33:14 AM »
I am also a minority and a immigrant who came to the US during the civil war in El Salvador in the early 80's.  Why not bring up my background on this board before? Like others noted because many posters will try to turn it around on you or into an anti-minority rant. 

DESI

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2004, 10:42:46 AM »
the anti-minority rants are because people are insecure about their ability to get into law school on their own merits, and feel the need to attack minorities because we supposedly take their spots in law school

Tobias Beecher

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - roger_76@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2004, 12:14:12 PM »
I'm an asian american (not considered a minority in law school standards) and I can't stand threads like this.  Minority *&^%, AA *&^%.  It's like who gives a @#!*.  Just do your *&^% and apply.  If you are a minority, then great.  If not, your're not.  If you want to write about it, then write about it.

If you use the race card, then use it.  If not, then don't.  If you want to mark other, then do so.  If not, who gives a @#!*.   

If people are getting into schools by manipulating the system, who gives a @#!*.  There's nothing you can do about it, so grow the @#!* up.

If this *&^% bothers you, you won't make it in the real world.  Because whether you are at the restarant, work, whatever, race is a factor no matter what.  Everyone is racist to some degree, people just won't admit it.

Seriously....

minority this, AA that......

Stop the f-ing whinning!

::)

jgomez

« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2004, 06:37:24 PM »
And what are you going to do about it, punk?  ;)

I'm an asian american (not considered a minority in law school standards) and I can't stand threads like this.  Minority *&^%, AA *&^%.  It's like who gives a @#!*.  Just do your *&^% and apply.  If you are a minority, then great.  If not, your're not.  If you want to write about it, then write about it.

If you use the race card, then use it.  If not, then don't.  If you want to mark other, then do so.  If not, who gives a @#!*.   

If people are getting into schools by manipulating the system, who gives a @#!*.  There's nothing you can do about it, so grow the @#!* up.

If this *&^% bothers you, you won't make it in the real world.  Because whether you are at the restarant, work, whatever, race is a factor no matter what.  Everyone is racist to some degree, people just won't admit it.

Seriously....

minority this, AA that......

Stop the f-ing whinning!

::)

muyaha

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2004, 07:13:10 PM »
the anti-minority rants are because people are insecure about their ability to get into law school on their own merits, and feel the need to attack minorities because we supposedly take their spots in law school

yah cause we all know there are no white males in law school or have JD's all ready.  Sarcasm over.

Stroopwafel

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2004, 10:24:16 PM »
I still think that you have to do more in your PS. Go above and beyond anything typical.
This is the way I see it. So coments are welcome as I think that positive comments can do nothing but help. Angry rants do not create progress.

I assume that if you are an immigrant/minority then the baseline for your PS will have something to do with your immigrant experience/background. Assume that every immigrant applicant will include this, so what makes your experience different. How will your experience make you a better law student and a member of the class. The more generic you sound, the less chance you have.
What more could you bring to the table as a representative of that particular immigrant group? If being an immigrant has nothing to do with your choice to become a lawyer, or attend that school, then wouldn't a stronger theme be better?

So you want to make this as specific and as pertinent to your law school choice. If your parents immigrated to escape martial law, as mine did, then how did that affect your decision to go to law school. (Does that law school offer a concentration that is one of your interests that stemmed from your immigration experience) Civil Rights, with International, with Immigration, with professors that are known scholars in that field, or a law curriculm that has many of these courses offered.

Bitterness, resentment, or any sort of victim mentality will not play well. Victims, and whiners are not going to become the leaders of the future. And if you are an immigrant/minority then you HAVE to prepare to be a leader/role model. How will you becoming a lawyer help America, and your respective group to become better Americans and more active participants in the system. Who will you be serving? If it is just yourself, then I think that you are doomed from the get go.

This is my take anyway, and this is the course and direction that I have been setting as I go about the process.
Rest not. Life is sweeping by; go and dare before you die. Something mighty and sublime, leave behind to conquer time.

-Goethe

vergin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2009, 04:55:12 AM »
User is banned due to spamming

- PJC

disgruntled shovelbum

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2009, 01:13:18 AM »
Yeah minority right here, just joined. Hoping to be ready for Sept LSAT, we'll see.