Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Where are all the minorities if not on this board?  (Read 5773 times)

maricutie

Where are all the minorities if not on this board?
« on: September 29, 2004, 10:45:32 AM »
It seems like the only posts here (for the most part) don't even begin to cover the particular issues that are pertinent to minorities in the law school application process. What gives? Where are all the minorities if not on the minority board? The LSAT board seems alive and well ...

For instance, I'm trying to figure out where I can get in with my numbers (3.7/166, although re-taking this Sat). Looking at the US News rankings, or using that calculator thing on the lsac website, isn't really accurrate for, say, the top 20 schools. Any ideas?

Another issue I'm having is writing the personal statement. Yeah, I could post this up on the PS board, but it seems like most people there might not necessarily relate --- it seems like most ppl there are trying to figure out how they're diverse, or emphasize that they're not just a WASP, etc. Generalizations, I know, but most ppl applying to law school DO, for the most part, fit into that category. So my dilemma is trying to figure out how to show my minority/disadvantaged status without playing the pity card, and without doing it like every other minority. Ex. grew up poor, first in family in college, etc, but this could be very many ppl of color. Again, any ideas?

Come on, ppl. There's not too many of us applying, so we really should help each other out here -- there don't seem to be very many other places where we can relate. :)

lexylit

Re: Where are all the minorities if not on this board?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2004, 07:40:31 PM »
i think there are a ton of threads you'd find helpful and relevant if you do a search within those other boards (the lsat one, the PS one, etc). a lot of people have discussed growing up poor and writing addenda to that effect, etc.

Tobias Beecher

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - roger_76@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2004, 08:45:16 PM »
I just realized there hasn't been an AA thread for like a month or two now....

must be the LSAT....

jgar030283

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2004, 08:55:57 PM »
There aren't many minorities that are in law school.On the black law student board there are a few folks that could help you. A few of them are 1L's and the others are about to go through the application process.I'm going through the application process myself and haven't really been able to find anyone around my school (that is a minority) and applying for this cycle as well.You'll find this to be true as you finish law school and enter into the professional world as well.Many racial minorities and even women have problems with mentoring when they enter a firm.This is mainly because the legal field has always revolved around a "good ol' boy" system and probably will continue to do so.

SuperMoni

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2004, 07:35:56 AM »
I disagree.  I don't see how the adcomms could really roll their eyes reading a heartful immigration or disadvantaged essay **and how you overcame it, etc**  The point of the PS is to let them more about you as a person and of course that has a major effect on shaping you.  However, you have to remember that it's not all a woe to me story and that you do have to also write how it's effected you and why it makes you good for law school.

maricutie

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2004, 03:19:57 PM »
Stoopwafel, I think I agree. That's the biggest challenge I'm facing right now .. so many ppl write about their poor high school, their ghetto background, etc., but I know that MOST of the ppl who write this are generally from a good background and are just exaggerating for the sake of being able to say that they can add a bit of diversity to the school. So, when you're one of the few who has actually gone through this, it appears as if you're one of the many. Sigh. But when I try not to write about this stuff, I find that I just can't -- the context of every story is important!

jgomez

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2004, 07:32:36 PM »
I'm an asian american (not considered a minority in law school standards) and I can't stand threads like this.  Minority *&^%, AA *&^%.  It's like who gives a @#!*.  Just do your *&^% and apply.  If you are a minority, then great.  If not, your're not.  If you want to write about it, then write about it.

If you use the race card, then use it.  If not, then don't.  If you want to mark other, then do so.  If not, who gives a @#!*.   

If people are getting into schools by manipulating the system, who gives a @#!*.  There's nothing you can do about it, so grow the @#!* up.

If this *&^% bothers you, you won't make it in the real world.  Because whether you are at the restarant, work, whatever, race is a factor no matter what.  Everyone is racist to some degree, people just won't admit it.

SuperMoni

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2004, 10:26:15 PM »
Hey sorry man I didn't mean to offend you by talking about minority issues.  People say "i'm playing the race card" yada yada, but you know what screw you guys because I didn't know how to speak english when i entered school, i never had anyone to help me with my homework or do anything for me.  Life as an immigrant is a lot harder then i think you can imagine if you've never gone through with it.  So go cry about being white or asian or whatever you are somewhere else, cause this post is genuinley helping some people out and your not one of them.

DESI

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2004, 10:29:38 PM »
I'm an asian american (not considered a minority in law school standards) and I can't stand threads like this.  Minority *&^%, AA *&^%.  It's like who gives a @#!*.  Just do your *&^% and apply.  If you are a minority, then great.  If not, your're not.  If you want to write about it, then write about it.

If you use the race card, then use it.  If not, then don't.  If you want to mark other, then do so.  If not, who gives a @#!*.   

If people are getting into schools by manipulating the system, who gives a @#!*.  There's nothing you can do about it, so grow the @#!* up.

If this *&^% bothers you, you won't make it in the real world.  Because whether you are at the restarant, work, whatever, race is a factor no matter what.  Everyone is racist to some degree, people just won't admit it.

Negative energy from an asian?   >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Hey sorry man I didn't mean to offend you by talking about minority issues. People say "i'm playing the race card" yada yada, but you know what screw you guys because I didn't know how to speak english when i entered school, i never had anyone to help me with my homework or do anything for me. Life as an immigrant is a lot harder then i think you can imagine if you've never gone through with it. So go cry about being white or asian or whatever you are somewhere else, cause this post is genuinley helping some people out and your not one of them.

SuperMoni (and anyone), I will be happy to discuss minority issues in law school.  I'm surrounded by a sea of white people, which honestly doesn't bother me, it just makes the LS experience a bit interesting.  That being said, I know some successful black 2L and 3Ls who are going to be BANK after graduation.

jgomez

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2004, 10:50:10 PM »
Negative energy from an asian?   >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

All that negative energy locked up from not being able to show it BECAUSE I am asian.  >:(