Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: U Maine actively looking to boost URM enrollment  (Read 1434 times)

dssinc

• View Profile
U Maine actively looking to boost URM enrollment
« on: December 01, 2007, 02:29:56 PM »
Hey all.

Just wanted to share that the University of Maine School of Law, based in beautiful Portland, is actively looking to boost its URM population.  I serve on the diversity committee as a 1L -- barged my way on because I hate our lack of diversity -- and can report that there is a real commitment to getting this done.  $$$ is available for qualified candidates.

This school is quite small, with incoming classes averaging about 100 students.  The resultant level of intimacy serves quite nicely in terms of academic opportunity (chance to be heard, chance to stand out, chance to interface with real professors and deans on a personal level) and peer interaction (more cooperative than competitive).  The USN&WR ranking sucks at present, so if you are after prestige, look elsewhere.  But we have a 90%+ 1st time Bar pass rate, and an excellent reputation throughout northern New England.

Portland itself is an amazing place to live.  It is very, very diverse: ethnically, culturally, economically, and with respect to sexual orientation.  Portland is a livable, walkable city with a vibrant creative economy and more excellent restaurants, galleries and museums than any city twice its size has a right to enjoy.  Don't be fooled by the rural, homogeneous, conservative nature of the state at large.  Portland is to Maine as Austin is to Texas, a hip, inclusive place to live.  Except that we have an ocean!

Please strongly consider looking into the U of Maine for this cycle, and pass the word that U of Maine is actively looking to increase its URM population.

- Joe

lp1283

• Sr. Citizen
  • Skateboard Scooter + Acid-wash Jeans, priceless.
    • View Profile
Re: U Maine actively looking to boost URM enrollment
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 06:04:20 PM »
I'm not surprised they have one of the lowest minority percentages I've seen.

OperaAttorney

• Sr. Citizen
  • Freude, Königin der Weise!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: U Maine actively looking to boost URM enrollment
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 06:06:05 PM »
Maine???  Now that's a hard sell. I know this sounds bad, but I wouldn't go to U of Maine if it gave me a FULL RIDE.  :(
"I don't believe in the word 'impossible,' because the One in whom I believe can do the impossible." - Me