Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Exceptional Admissions  (Read 407 times)

pamar

• View Profile
Exceptional Admissions
« on: December 01, 2007, 11:27:14 AM »
Hi!

Does anyone know of people or have themsleves been admitted to schools where your LSAT/GPA numbers were way below the median?

Tetris

• Sr. Citizen
  • Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: Exceptional Admissions
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2007, 12:32:11 PM »
Hi!

Does anyone know of people or have themsleves been admitted to schools where your LSAT/GPA numbers were way below the median?

I don't know anyone specifically but I do know that it happens. Schools don't report students below the 25 percentile for either GPA or LSAT. So if a student is "stand-out" but in the bottom 25% then they might stand a chance at being accepted. I believe that some schools might "auto-ding" people based on their #s and never give them a chance, so if you're too far below what they consider "acceptable" then I wouldn't hold your breath for even a second.

Keep in mind that some schools get thousands of applications and accept only 5% or 10% of the applicants. It's safe to say that about the majority of denials are to people with low stats so keep that in mind-- you are competing with a LOT of people and would have to stand out a LOT to make up for it. Some ways to overcome a "below the 25th percentile" stat are (1) have your other stat (GPA/LSAT) be above the median or 75th percentile, underrepresented minority status, or amazing soft factors (full-time work experience, intern/recommendation from someone famous).

There were also a couple of threads on here last week about getting into good schools w/ a subpar GPA/ subpar LSAT score. You might want to look those up by digging back a few days.
_______
.|E|R|S.